Management Thread | Is a Reckoning coming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
If we can have a normal conversation for a bit here... For the new GM, is it not a fact that most of these bad contracts/buyouts/recapture come off the books next year and the year after? IMO that is fairly manageable for the new GM and shouldn’t hinder him too much.

Wtf?

I am here engaging in good faith honest debate. Your poorly veiled attempt at insult and suppression of debate would not be appreciated.

Except it is, because I am tox . . . well, you know . . .

Yeah, I noticed those weasel words. Like I predicted in a previous post.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Wtf?

I am here engaging in good faith honest debate. Your poorly veiled attempt at insult and suppression of debate would not be appreciated.

Except it is, because I am tox . . . well, you know . . .

Yeah, I noticed those weasel words. Like I predicted in a previous post.
Ive noticed these are the last few days of desperate defense of GM Benning by the handful remaining of his supporters. Ive noticed it get uglier. The end is near. It has to be near, Canucks fans deserve better than this seven years of destruction of our team

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
I hope Aquillini promotes Benning to President of Hockey Ops and hired a new Gm just to mess with everyone on this board. The backlash will keep me entertained for weeks

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
This really sounds like a guy who wants a job and is trying to position himself into one. He pretty much read off his resume.

His resume as someone in business is in logging and mining.

so of course we will hire him to run a hockey team.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
images

He’s not wrong. We don’t have a problem. We have no money to spend ... ergo no problem.
But really who needs to add pieces. This team is clearly good enough as is.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
LOL yeah I found that a bit weird as well. Reading the article, it says Delorme was at the Ivan Hlinka when he first saw him. Delorme probably just said "This kid looks good in practise" and then Benning eats it up. Same guy that said "Peterson" a few times after saying Petterson at the announcement.

The Ivan Hlinka tournament is well known to scouts anyways.
Speaking of Hlinka (rip), weird how he actually was sort in contention for the Calder (to which Hlinka made a joke about it "yeah, 30+ year old rookie :laugh:) in that first year year in the NHL. Not surprising though his fellow countryman, Bubla seemed to acclimate to the North American game at that time (the old "clutching & grabbing). I remember Bubla's method of fighting was to just grab a player & give him a 'bear hug' ala pro wrestling style! Bruno Summartino (sp?) would be proud!:laugh:

And a testimate of how good a human being Pat Quinn was. Got Bubla a janitorial job at the Pacific Coliseum after Bubla was released from prison (drug smuggling conviction) & the guy was able to get his life sorted out.

Reactions: mossey3535

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
His resume as someone in business is in logging and mining.

so of course we will hire him to run a hockey team.

Of course this is not an ideal situation in a normal world...but, if we're stuck with Francesco as a meddling owner, which we likely are...Courtnall may be the best option...*IF* he has a solid, "tell it like it is" relationship with Aquilini, he may be able to "steer" Francesco rather than be railroaded or coerced.

However, I'm definitely concerned about past Courtnall's history though...if there is anything there, it WILL be brought up and picked at...this day in age, and in this market NOTHING goes under the radar...then we will have another nightmarish scenario tarnish the organization even further.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Ive noticed these are the last few days of desperate defense of GM Benning by the handful remaining of his supporters. Ive noticed it get uglier. The end is near. It has to be near, Canucks fans deserve better than this seven years of destruction of our team
I agree....I have no idea why the idea of replacing the GM, which is a normal occurrence in every other NHL market which fails to reach franchise expectations, is the source of so much angst and recrimination in this market.

But it was the same thing when Mike Gillis walked the plank.....years later, some posters are still divided into 'pro' and 'anti' Gillis camps. Lost in the debate is that Gillis hasn't been hired by anybody since.

So regardless of your opinion of Benning, if he's ousted after seven years on the job it's nothing personal. He just didn't win enough games or manage the salary cap very well.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I don’t think we are 2 year away…. Reckoning will come in 2 years because Miller won’t re-sign and Horvat is going to demand term and money to stick around. Schmidt will probably decline soon so we’ll need 1 if not 2 top4 RD. We’ll need a good 3rd line guy and a top6 winger and it’s going to a lot of shrewd cap management to create space and get those pieces filled while maintaining a pipeline of prospects since we will need like 1 ELC guy to come in and contribute every year.

Best thing to do is to cut the cord and trade Miller for Newhook so at least we will have a cost controlled 3rd/2nd center behind Horvat and Petey. If we are going to suck next year anyways, might mot be a bad idea to trade him away, get a top4 D from the rangers or Chytil + prospect and extend the compete window when it opens up

Miller and Horvat re-signing aren't even that big of a deal. They should get paid appropriately or they should be moved on from if they can't come to terms. Both need to be done the off-season prior and no more waiting around until the last minute so we can watch assets bleed away into nothing. Paying good players the money that they are worth should never really be a concern if you have a capable GM.

Getting a 3rd line center is the top priority to me. Then, a right-side defenseman who has top-four upside. In all of the mess of this year as well, it's kind of forgotten how bad of a year it was in terms of progression for both EP and Hughes. If these guys are going to be very good/great players instead of elite players then the future will be much bleaker.

Last edited:

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
I hope Aquillini promotes Benning to President of Hockey Ops and hired a new Gm just to mess with everyone on this board. The backlash will keep me entertained for weeks
If that happens I genuinely hope the franchise moves to Quebec.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
He’s not wrong. We don’t have a problem. We have no money to spend ... ergo no problem.
But really who needs to add pieces. This team is clearly good enough as is.

Haha reminds me of Stalin's quote: Death solves all problems. No man, no problem.
:D

God, I'd normally say this guy talks with his foot in his mouth but...I think there needs to be a whole new concept invented to describe what a horrible speaker Benning has been.

On top of many, many, many, MANY other issues.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
So Minnesota just won the first game of their series. This is a team that didn't start rebuilding until around the 2019 TDL. They're already ahead of us in contending, and we're in our SIXTH year of rebuilding. This is f***ing stupid

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
The only thing that would have me even slightly interested in next season is Bennings exit.

The following combo would make me actually pretty optimistic for next season:

-Benning and Weisbrod fired;
-Competent and experienced President and GM hired;
-Draft high enough to get a top 4 dman, ideally NHL ready next season (top 5 pick)
-Podkolzin looking like a good top 9 winger
-Unexpected developmental jump from one prospect in becoming an NHLer (e.g. Gadjovich/Lockwood lock down a bottom 6 role);
-New GM makes a cap-savvy moves and brings in an impact player (via free agency or trade).

If even half of these things happen, maybe next season doesn't look so bad after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad