Management Thread III (MOD Warning Post # 67)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Continue here.

Previous Thread 1:

Previous Thread: Management Thread - Read OP
Previous Thread 2: Management Thread II - Read OP

Quotes from previous thread:

Love that Brandon Benning gets an expanded role but that role is not described at all

Hey remember, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean everybody isn't out to get you...

I don’t think we’ve even seen information on which region he scouts, but I’m guessing the WHL given the family history.

In regards to his role I’m assuming(going off what little info I could find on the amateur scouting hierarchy)he’s absorbed more arenas into his region of scouting or he’s become one of the bigger picture guys who crossover into another region who form rankings on the combined areas throughout the season.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
(Moved this from Around the League)

----------------

Re: the Boeser situation

Slowly, teams have seem to become more and more willing to pay their young stars earlier over the past few years. This aligns with a trend where young players (especially forwards) are generally at their most productive in their early 20's and tend to peak around age 25.

Teams are realizing now that you can't overpay aging UFA's anymore based on past production and the UFA market this summer reflects that. Hence cap space has been reallocated to players coming off their ELC's while mid-level free agents are taking a cut.

A smart hockey ops would recognize this and be able to adjust by focusing on paying their young stars and taking advantage of the buyer's market in UFA by filling out their depth with cheap free agent contracts.

Unfortunately Benning has not caught on to this, and thus has been overspending on at-best mediocre to at-worst poor free agent contracts like it's 2009. This is just another example of him not wisening up to league trends and being able to adapt/adjust. You think having Gilman around or employing data science wouldn't have helped recognize patterns like these?

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
I’d like to point out once again that our core does not have enough elite talent to be a contender.

Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat and Hughes is a fine starting place but we need more elite talent to join them if we expect them to contend in their primes.

But if we’re already up against the the cap, how exactly are we supposed to do that?

We can’t even afford to pay our core as it is, how could we add additional talent and pay them too?

We’ll be lucky if we can afford Pettersson’s extension when it comes.

Feels like we’re destined to toil in mediocrity with a core that even in their primes, won’t be Cup contenders, with no meaningful way to add elite talent to the core.

Last edited:

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
I’d like to point out once again that our core does not have enough elite talent to be a contender.

Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat and Hughes is a fine starting place but we need more elite talent to join them if we expect them to contend in their primes.

But if we’re already up against the the cap, how exactly are we supposed to do that?

We can’t even afford to pay our core as it is, how could we add additional talent and pay them too?

Feels like we’re destined to toil in mediocrity with a core that even in their primes, won’t be Cup contenders, with no meaningful way to add to the core.
Since we are capped out, we probably either need to make a trade or draft the pieces we are missing. I don't think we have much to offer trade wise because we don't have a surplus of tradeable assets.
I think if Podkozin pans out we have enough of a forward core but defensively, we need more pieces here for sure. Replacing Tanev and Edler will be a priority.

Strong depth is what separates a contender from a wildcard team.
Unfortunately, I don't think we have enough prospects to give us strong depth either.

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada

Feels like we’re destined to toil in mediocrity with a core that even in their primes, won’t be Cup contenders, with no meaningful way to add elite talent to the core.

I can't even justify putting this team as a playoff spot contender when you consider how stacked the central division is.

St Louis is 99% intact minus Maroon.

Nashville, Dallas and Colorado all improved in their respective areas of weakness.

Winnipeg and Chicago are question marks, but also not out of the picture.

Assuming the top three of the Pacific(San Jose, Vegas and Calgary) stays the same you get left with Arizona and Edmonton fighting alongside the Canucks to surpass the central teams in wildcard seeding. That's also without including the Kings, Ducks and Wild who won't just accept sinking right away.

member 290103

I remember the good old days when I would....,.filled with hope.....click on this thread to see if there was any news on the hiring of a real legit President or the replacement of this GM and his staff.....instead nothing. It's just a black hole tinged with the blathering of Benning Bros.

Reactions: Neddam ot Sehguh

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004

Cap space doesn't matter remember? You can't be too tough on Benning because the bad contracts hasn't prevent us from signing the players we REALLY wanted and needed (like Beagle, Roussel, Myers, Ferland, Schaller, etc.)

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016

Are you making a prediction that Pettersson will be traded in 2 years because Canucks can't afford his extension? I don't really think you actually think that. I think you are just venting and saying things that you don't really mean.

I highly doubt you will have a bet with someone that Pettersson will be traded in 2 years.

TraderJim

Um.. like.. you know
Apr 18, 2006
Are you making a prediction that Pettersson will be traded in 2 years because Canucks can't afford his extension? I don't really think you actually think that. I think you are just venting and saying things that you don't really mean.

I highly doubt you will have a bet with someone that Pettersson will be traded in 2 years.
No but adding 1st round picks to move salary will become necessary to free up room to sign Pettersson.

Reactions: vanuck

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Weisbrod: You look at the data.

OK. I'm with you so far.

It used to be 210 picks in the draft, now its 241.

*blinks*

Out of that 241 players that were taken in this past draft

- if you consider the threshold of being an established NHL Player, 300 games, there will be somewhere between 18-22 players that play 300 games.

It's more like 40-50. Did you actually look at the data?

It's a small number, we always talk about in scouting meetings.

... Why? How does that help you in a scouting meeting?

You tend to get in bad habits, of thinking "oh we're just choosing different flavours, do we want the heavy power guy, or skill guy".

o_O

We have to remind each other that we want the guy that will actually play cause its harder to make it through all those steps than people think.

Its f***ing. If you have to remind yourself this then you're even more hopelessly incompetent than we thought. What the. We. We have to remind each other that we want the guy that will play. Hockey, presumably. Maybe the saxophone.

We have a lot of good guys in the system that are either in Utica or will be in Utica & we're bullish on those kids

Why? By your own math none of them will make it. You had 20/241=....ah you know what, never mind.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Weisbrod: You look at the data.

OK. I'm with you so far.

It used to be 210 picks in the draft, now its 241.

*blinks*

Out of that 241 players that were taken in this past draft

- if you consider the threshold of being an established NHL Player, 300 games, there will be somewhere between 18-22 players that play 300 games.

It's more like 40-50. Did you actually look at the data?

It's a small number, we always talk about in scouting meetings.

... Why? How does that help you in a scouting meeting?

You tend to get in bad habits, of thinking "oh we're just choosing different flavours, do we want the heavy power guy, or skill guy".

o_O

We have to remind each other that we want the guy that will actually play cause its harder to make it through all those steps than people think.

Its ****ing. If you have to remind yourself this then you're even more hopelessly incompetent than we thought. What the. We. We have to remind each other that we want the guy that will play. Hockey, presumably. Maybe the saxophone.

We have a lot of good guys in the system that are either in Utica or will be in Utica & we're bullish on those kids

Why? By your own math none of them will make it. You had 20/241=....ah you know what, never mind.

It’s like he’s just now grasping stuff we’ve been talking about here as fact, as fans, for like 20 years.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Why on earth do they keep screwing Horvat around on this Captaincy stuff?

My bet - if they plan on announcing a captain this year - is that they do it as part of the opening ceremonies at the first home game, similar to how Henrik was named Captain. Maybe they’ll even have someone like Kurtenbach, Smyl, Naslund or Sedin present it to him (think we can safely say Linden won’t be around for the 50th anniversary celebrations, which blows...)

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
My bet - if they plan on announcing a captain this year - is that they do it as part of the opening ceremonies at the first home game, similar to how Henrik was named Captain. Maybe they’ll even have someone like Kurtenbach, Smyl, Naslund or Sedin present it to him (think we can safely say Linden won’t be around for the 50th anniversary celebrations, which blows...)

You can pretty much guarantee it will be maximum awkward schmaltz.

Reactions: daddyohsix
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->