Management Thread. A Fist Full of Dollars: Gunslinger Final Edition, Pt IlI

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
We'll be better only because of the likelihood of reverting back to the old Pacific Division. The three CA teams are in the throes of various rebuilds and it looks like Arizona has strip-mined their entire to bottom out under the salary cap. Six games each against those teams is almost a third of your schedule.

Unfortunately this temporary move to the all-Canadian has exposed the Canucks for what they are--a team with some good young talent but a deeply flawed roster of overpaid, underachieving veteran players. Doesn't surprise me they look poised to have a major step-back year.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
I disagree - By then I think some of our young D should be playable and we will have Podz and Tryamkin (who I refuse to believe wouldn't at least be a solid third pairing guy for us).

What free agent are we gonna lose this off season that we will be upset about not having on the team? Sutter? Bäretschi? Benn? Those will all be blessings to be gone.

Kindly inform me on that..........I'll be waiting...............

Pearson and Edler are UFAs at the end of the season. There's no money to sign either one or to find suitable replacements since Pettersson, Hughes and Demko need to be signed as RFAs

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
Pearson and Edler are UFAs at the end of the season. There's no money to sign either one or to find suitable replacements since Pettersson, Hughes and Demko need to be signed as RFAs

If we want to re-sign either of those I think we will be able to. I don't see Edler going anywhere else at this point in his career so most likely he could be got cheap. Pearson not as sure but we will see.

Additionally if our team does indeed continue to play the way they have been we could be in for a big break salary wise with all of our big guns. I could see at least the 2 big ones taking bridge deals. I don't think it's quite the catastrophe you make it out to be.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
The level of denial is so strong here and VancouverJagger is just another example. Optimistic that the team would be decent this season, but when reality sets in, it's already all about looking towards next season and how all of these pie-in-the-sky scenarios could happen that would propel the team to contention next season. Once reality sets in again, just move onto the next season. Rinse and repeat. No biggie.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
If we want to re-sign either of those I think we will be able to. I don't see Edler going anywhere else at this point in his career so most likely he could be got cheap. Pearson not as sure but we will see.

Additionally if our team does indeed continue to play the way they have been we could be in for a big break salary wise with all of our big guns. I could see at least the 2 big ones taking bridge deals. I don't think it's quite the catastrophe you make it out to be.

We have $22 million in cap space in the off-season. Re-signing all 3, and Gaudette too is a RFA, will take up virtually all of that space. Plus we need to fill out the rest of the roster, and even at minimum salaries is valuable cap space being taken up.

Reactions: MarkMM

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
The level of denial is so strong here and VancouverJagger is just another example. Optimistic that the team would be decent this season, but when reality sets in, it's already all about looking towards next season and how all of these pie-in-the-sky scenarios could happen that would propel the team to contention next season. Once reality sets in again, just move onto the next season. Rinse and repeat. No biggie.

Are you saying you dont expect Tryamkin to be a top pairing D for us next season?

Reactions: MarkMM and PM

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site

And of course when what we say does happen he will come here next season and say we are done. Next year will be great this year was a write off anyway.

That’s of course not taking into account half the team will be another year older and worse (beagle, rousell,myers) and bringing back edler just means another player a year older/worse in the same top 4 position

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Are you saying you dont expect Tryamkin to be a top pairing D for us next season?

Question wasn’t direct at me but I don’t expect Tryamkin to be a top pairing Dman for us next season. I expect him to be a top paring Dman for us in 2022-2023.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Question wasn’t direct at me but I don’t expect Tryamkin to be a top pairing Dman for us next season. I expect him to be a top paring Dman for us in 2022-2023.

I’m pretty sure you’re joking. But if you or anyone else isn’t. That’s like going from being an unpaid intern to CEO of a company in two years. That’s probably slightly more realistic even.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
33M x4 years (on average) of the Canucks cap space tied up in Benn, Myers, Spooner, Beagle, Sutter, Loui, Baertschi, Ferland, and Roussel.

132M was an amazing bet on the acumen of a rookie GM.

Bravo to FA!

(On the other hand; could have made a dent in Cancer for that much coin.)

Last edited:

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
33M x4 years (on average) of the Canucks cap space tied up in Benn, Myers, Spooner, Beagle, Sutter, Loui, Baertschi, Ferland, and Roussel.

132M was an amazing bet on the acumen of a rookie GM.

Bravo to FA!

(On the other hand; could have made a dent in Cancer for that much coin.)

Jim Benning has spent 1/2 a BILLION DOLLARS on player salaries since taking over and 7 years later...We're cap F*cked for the foreseeable future with almost a 0% chance of improving the current roster. 3/4 of this roster has no value in today's NHL & the cupboards are empty.
It's just brutal mismanagement.

Last edited:

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006

I expect Tryamkin to be a top pairing defenseman for Avtomobilist Yekaterinburg or whichever KHL team he chooses to play for in 2022-2023.

Reactions: Peter10

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
Is Luke Hughes anyone we’d want to draft, or is he just Quinn’s brother, and it’s more reputation of his name than he’s actually a player we want? Looks like he’s ranked top five in the coming draft.
He’s very good

Attachments

• 1CFB2B75-4825-4710-B356-0D7648C7DEFC.jpeg
    1CFB2B75-4825-4710-B356-0D7648C7DEFC.jpeg
    145.8 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: Luckylarry

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam

Definitely some paid shills on this site. Defending management at this point is beyond strange.

Reactions: MS and Jack Burton

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
I expect Tryamkin to be a top pairing defenseman for Avtomobilist Yekaterinburg or whichever KHL team he chooses to play for in 2022-2023.
Trams just has to spend 1 more year in Russia before he becomes a UFA.

I suspect that he will indeed play 1 more year in Russia and by the 22-23 season he will be back in the NHL and playing for a team other than the Canucks.

We had our chance to sign Trams but this management team screwed up yet again with this player.

He's done with this franchise and the peeps who think we'll get him back in Canuck colors have a 99.9% chance of disappointment.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
We'll be better only because of the likelihood of reverting back to the old Pacific Division. The three CA teams are in the throes of various rebuilds and it looks like Arizona has strip-mined their entire to bottom out under the salary cap. Six games each against those teams is almost a third of your schedule.

Unfortunately this temporary move to the all-Canadian has exposed the Canucks for what they are--a team with some good young talent but a deeply flawed roster of overpaid, underachieving veteran players. Doesn't surprise me they look poised to have a major step-back year.

I think it is shocking.

Reactions: Jack Burton

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Wait and wait and wait and never See!

Reactions: mriswith
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->