Malkin's goal tonight -Youtube until something better is posted

crashlanding

Nov 29, 2005
Chicago
Where oh where have the "you can't say Malkin is a great player, wait until he plays a game in the NHL" posts gone? :( Oh well, at least we have some bitter New Jersey fans to remind us of the fond times when people constantly discredited Malkin's talent for very silly reasons. ;)
Sorry if we are skeptical of certain posters who pimp everyone with a Russian surname to epic proportions. BTW, I only count one NJ fan commenting on this thread.

It was an amazing move, Lukowich tried to hit him but Malkin just hit the breaks and jumped to the inside, at first I thought he chipped the puck by him but on the replay he clearly stickhandled it to the inside while leaping. White, Brodeur, and everyone in the building probably thought he was going to take it to the forehand and just shoot it but Malkin had other ideas. It was like watching Jussi Jokinen's shootout move at full speed and in the game. Replace Lukowich or White with Martin or Rafalski (the two victimized defenseman's partners) and they would probably go for a more positional play or stick check than try to body him off the puck but that's all hypothetical and worthless, it takes two, in this case three, to tango.

These are going to be fun times for Malkin highlights as none of the NHL defensemen really know how to play him yet. He's deceptively strong on the puck, like near the top of the league strong on the puck, and some veterans are going to get schooled by making the mistake of thinking this rookie doesn't know how to play in the NHL all that well yet.

:clap: Best individual effort goal I've seen in a while. (Ovechkin's last year was a perfect storm really, this was just a display of sick sick skill)

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
"That's amazing," Brodeur said. "Forget the moves. For him to be able to get the puck up that fast on what wasn't a great pass, not many guys could handle that. Then to go past a guy (White) who is going to take your head off. He made an unbelievable play to score a goal there. He just stopped and went around me for the goal."

http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1161754279145800.xml&coll=1&thispage=2

What's not good about the pass... other than being a bit dangerous (a bit of a suicide pass concidering the two defenders almost on top of Malkin)? Malkin redirects it with a chip (just like Mario getting a pass that's way behind him), picks it up and stick handles in a phone booth suckering two defenders and Marty with some crazy moves.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
What will probably get lost in everything is that it was a pretty big goal as well. New Jersey had pulled within one not two minutes beforehand, and while the game wasn't on a knifes edge, it still could have gone either way until he broke their backs with his goal.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
:eek: what a goal!! this looks very promising for crosby. looks like he will get some easy points this season. not that tha pass wasn't good because it sure was, but when malkin is capable of pulling of something like this. crosby can just give the puck to malkin and he can do some magic. of course malkin can do the same. last year crosby allmost had to gice he's teammates an open net if they where to score a goal. it will be a hell of a lot easier this season. hopefully they stay on the same line.

PlayoffBeard

Sep 14, 2005
Colin White was one. Didn't catch the other. White could have easily knocked him away from that reach out if he thought that Malkin was capable of pulling a move like that, but it just shocked him as well as everybody else on the ice.

Lukowich was the other guy that got abused.

Deleted member 3032

What's not good about the pass... other than being a bit dangerous (a bit of a suicide pass concidering the two defenders almost on top of Malkin)? Malkin redirects it with a chip (just like Mario getting a pass that's way behind him), picks it up and stick handles in a phone booth suckering two defenders and Marty with some crazy moves.

If you watch the replay closely, the puck when it gets to Malkin is rolling around. That is why he commented on it not being such a good pass. It would've been a lot easier to handle for Malkin if the puck was flat. Apparently though, Malkin doesn't need a flat pass. :)

Transported Upstater

Pretty fly (for a white guy).

(Pens fans)
Give it to me baby...UH HUH, UH HUH!!!

Malkin: "And all girl say me fly Russian hockey good." :biglaugh:

Pure Rock Fury*

uhhhh....malkin non lover i assume. give credit where its due. even if you dont like the guy at least say - wow, pretty nice play. nothing lucky about that play.

I've got nothing against the guy other than I don't want to see another great talent have another mediocre career because he didn't learn to skate with his head up until his brains were turned into mashed potatoes.

He's lucky he didn't get demolished on that play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad