Malkin's 2008 playoffs

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Getting to listen to thousands of Wings fans scream “born and raised in SOUTH DETROIT!!” Ruined it for life for me.

You toss one of these in real quick after that line....
giphy.gif

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
Getting to listen to thousands of Wings fans scream “born and raised in SOUTH DETROIT!!” Ruined it for life for me.
I always found it ironic they took so much pride in that, when in the song the person takes the midnight train going anywhere. Anywhere but Detroit.

The song always sucked though.

MartinS82

May 26, 2016
Thanks for posting. I forget how good Geno (and the rest really) were that year. I have the DVD's for 09 and 16-17, but don't ever really get to rewatch 08. That first Rangers game, weren't the Pens down 0-3 in that one? I remember thinking "well at least they beat Ottawa." Little did I know the success this team would have over the next 10+ years.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
What made the Pens go from no chance in 08 to beating them in 09? Didn't Detroit have virtually the same team? Was it the addition of Kunitz? More mature Pens team?

How confident was everyone after going down 0-2 in 09?

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
What made the Pens go from no chance in 08 to beating them in 09? Didn't Detroit have virtually the same team? Was it the addition of Kunitz? More mature Pens team?

Not very confident...it’s all Kunitz ...we haven’t won anything without him lol...but seriously, some combination of experience and confidence having gotten that far the previous year, plus getting better contributions from some role players imo...

Reactions: EightyOne

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

1) The Pens looked much better in those first 2 games. Whereas in 2008 they just got their sh1t beat in from the drop of the puck.
2) I think Datsyuk was injured, too?

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016

Probably this.

I think 2008, they were surprised to be in the Finals. And against a damn Dynasty.

2009, they knew they belonged in those Finals.

All about confidence.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
Probably this.

I think 2008, they were surprised to be in the Finals. And against a damn Dynasty.

2009, they knew they belonged in those Finals.

All about confidence.
I think some of it was speed as well, especially up front on the forecheck. They went from slow players like Ruutu, Roberts, Malone who could only hit Detroit players well after they moved the puck to guys like Cooke, Kuntiz and Kennedy (in a larger role) who could be more disruptive before Detroit had an opportunity to make a play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad