Value of: Malkin

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Nobody is paying premium value for Letang or Malkin with their trade protection, age and cap hits.

And if they are Pittsburgh is taking back cap dumps which doesn’t align itself with why Rutherford would be moving Malkin or Letang.

Which is why Malkin and Letang aren't moving anywhere before their contracts are up. So there really isn't any way to gauge value. No reason to move either when their value to the pens is still extremely high.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
DW would be looking to add Malkin to play with Hertl who is also 8 years younger than Geno. I truly don’t see any way Doug could pay the price the Pens would command for Geno while also fitting him under the cap with all of the inflated contracts we have. A Vlasic/Couture/Burns would have to go the other way.
Geno would likely be a better short term solution than Hertl. Pens only reason to get rid of him is for cap and to get younger. Couture could possibly go the other way, but he’s the C and wouldn’t be that much cheaper or younger than Geno, therefore taking away the reasons why they’d move him. We don’t have the pieces or cap room to get him for futures either. Only other even slight possibility would be something like LaBanc + TBL first + Merkley + 2021 first + Vlassic for Geno and I doubt the Pens do that.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Geno would likely be a better short term solution than Hertl. Pens only reason to get rid of him is for cap and to get younger. Couture could possibly go the other way, but he’s the C and wouldn’t be that much cheaper or younger than Geno, therefore taking away the reasons why they’d move him. We don’t have the pieces or cap room to get him for futures either. Only other even slight possibility would be something like LaBanc + TBL first + Merkley + 2021 first + Vlassic for Geno and I doubt the Pens do that.
Pens laugh

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Seems like a lot for Malkin despite the cap dump.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
Pens laugh
I doubt that. Don’t think they accept because of needs, but it’s a worthwhile offer.
Late first in a very deep draft, solid middle six RFA winger, a possibility lottery first rounder, and a D man prospect with with pairing potential.

We gave up less for Erik Karlsson, who was the same caliber player and 6 years younger at the time of the trade.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I doubt that. Don’t think they accept because of needs, but it’s a worthwhile offer.
Late first in a very deep draft, solid middle six RFA winger, a possibility lottery first rounder, and a D man prospect with with pairing potential.

We gave up less for Erik Karlsson, who was the same caliber player and 6 years younger at the time of the trade.

Yeah, I’d think about that deal for sure.

The big thing is Malkin probably won’t move unless he wants to and I assume he’s Florida or bust ala Phil Kessel if he wants to.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019

Same caliper?? LOL...2 cups... MVP scoring title , first ballot hall of fame , vs what ?? EK was great for about 3 years..Malkin is a bona fide superstar since day one. Just cause Ott got robbed doesn't mean everyone needs to!!

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
It is unlikely the Pens move Malkin as his play is improving as to his D and bonehead mistakes due to either forcing it or just inconsequential awareness. With elbow surgery and his commitment to 2 way game, sully is happy with his play. Now if the Pens get a offer they can't refuse, then yes he may be OK to go to contender like the Avs or Cunucks. Unlikely GMJR moves him to the eastern conference.

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
In my opinion, the team that Malkin WANTS to play for will need to send back 1-capdump, 1-young established player, 1-very good/blue chip prospect, 1-2020-1st

IE:
:sens
Evgeni Malkin (C/34)

:pens
Bobby Ryan (RW/33)
Colin White (C/23)
Drake Batherson (RW/22)
2020-1st (NYI)

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Nobody is paying premium value for Letang or Malkin with their trade protection, age and cap hits.

And if they are Pittsburgh is taking back cap dumps which doesn’t align itself with why Rutherford would be moving Malkin or Letang.

You should consider it from Pittsburgh's perspective, vs from other teams.

If Malkin plays well - he's still in contention for the best player in the world. Literally. He was so good early this season when Crosby got injured. If you get offended by "best" in the world, let's instead say top 3 or so.
He also has a fantastic playoff track record, despite recent misses, so it's not like he can't step up in playoffs.

Pittsburgh will never get close to that value. Trading Malkin would essentially be throwing in the towel on a cup run and going for rebuild. Which would be crazy, with Crosby still at the end of his prime.

Your only option really is to ride it out with Crosby/Malkin a few more years. Tweak/re-tool around them, and hope both can perform next season and especially come playoffs. If both Malkin and Crosby perform near top of their ability in the playoffs - Pittsburgh arguably remain the team to beat, or close.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad