Malkin won't play in NHL next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vladiator

Jan 2, 2005
New Zealand
The head of Metallurg hockey club told the reporter that he guarantees that Malkin will stay in Metallurg for the next season. It will happen even if the NHL is back.

From the Russian site:

"...наш доморощенный форвард Женя Малкин останется в "Магнитке" еще на год при любом развитии событий в заокеанской лиге. Это я гарантирую."

http://www.sports.ru/today/hockey/news/154007000000028729.html

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Yes only what the hell does "...наш доморощенный форвард Женя Малкин останется в "Магнитке" еще на год при любом развитии событий в заокеанской лиге. Это я гарантирую." mean?

Anyway, that sucks for Pens fans.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
Leachmeister2000 said:
Yes only what the hell does "...наш доморощенный форвард Женя Малкин останется в "Магнитке" еще на год при любом развитии событий в заокеанской лиге. Это я гарантирую." mean?

if I'm not mistaken, it translates into English roughly as:

Haw aomopowehhbin dopbapa xehr Manknh octahetcr b "Marhntke" ewe ha roa npn rho6om paebntnn co6bitnn b 3aokeahckon nnre. 3to r rapahtnpyho.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
kmad said:
if I'm not mistaken, it translates into English roughly as:

Haw aomopowehhbin dopbapa xehr Manknh octahetcr b "Marhntke" ewe ha roa npn rho6om paebntnn co6bitnn b 3aokeahckon nnre. 3to r rapahtnpyho.

I get it now.

Vladiator

Jan 2, 2005
New Zealand
Leachmeister2000 said:

It means just what I said in English in my first message. That's where I took the info from.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I'm really not shocked. Malkin seemed to want to stay in the RSL for a year or two more after his draft year, from what was said in the papers.

However, I do think that much of this is positioning by Metallurg to ensure that they have the upper hand on a transfer deal. If Malkin's signed to a strong contract, Pittsburgh is going to have to pay top dollar to break that existing deal.

Ovechkin and Dynamo will probably sign a similar deal, however, with Ovechkin's stated desire to play in the NHL and contact with the Caps, I'd be less worried on a desire to play in the NHL. Malkin might want to stay for a year or two more. Which couldn't hurt too much. It's not like the Pens are a player or two away from the playoffs.

Most of these reports are deals struck by players and the teams to ensure that one, the player gets a guranteed deal if the transfer doesn't happen, the player also gets a decent upfront bonus for giving the RSL team the leverage, and then for the RSL team to make sure they don't wind up with zilch from the NHL team.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Chimaera said:
I'm really not shocked. Malkin seemed to want to stay in the RSL for a year or two more after his draft year, from what was said in the papers.

However, I do think that much of this is positioning by Metallurg to ensure that they have the upper hand on a transfer deal. If Malkin's signed to a strong contract, Pittsburgh is going to have to pay top dollar to break that existing deal.

Ovechkin and Dynamo will probably sign a similar deal, however, with Ovechkin's stated desire to play in the NHL and contact with the Caps, I'd be less worried on a desire to play in the NHL. Malkin might want to stay for a year or two more. Which couldn't hurt too much. It's not like the Pens are a player or two away from the playoffs.

Most of these reports are deals struck by players and the teams to ensure that one, the player gets a guranteed deal if the transfer doesn't happen, the player also gets a decent upfront bonus for giving the RSL team the leverage, and then for the RSL team to make sure they don't wind up with zilch from the NHL team.
Depends what players you add. If you add Lidstrom and Jagr to the Penguins, they're almost a lock for the playoffs.

Anyway, i couldn't imagine what malkin could do there for another 2 seasons. One more i wouldn't mind much, but from all accounts he's ready for the nhl right now. Didn't malkin say that his club told him he was free to go to the nhl when he pleased? Most probably this is about the transfer money.

stocktrader

Vladiator said:
The head of Metallurg hockey club told the reporter that he guarantees that Malkin will stay in Metallurg for the next season. It will happen even if the NHL is back.

From the Russian site:

"...наш доморощенный форвард Женя Малкин останется в "Магнитке" еще на год при любом развитии событий в заокеанской лиге. Это я гарантирую."

http://www.sports.ru/today/hockey/news/154007000000028729.html
Well.... If the head of Metallurg guarantees that Malkin will not play in the NHL next year, I give it 50/50.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Dark Metamorphosis said:
Depends what players you add. If you add Lidstrom and Jagr to the Penguins, they're almost a lock for the playoffs.

Anyway, i couldn't imagine what malkin could do there for another 2 seasons. One more i wouldn't mind much, but from all accounts he's ready for the nhl right now.

I don't see the Pens going out and spending the money it would take to add those two players. I wonder if the Caps would be off the hook for Jagr if the Rangers trade him. I'm not sure about that one. But someone would have to pay it. And Lidstrom's looking to make 7 or so (I think). Not to mention the pre-lockout spending spree. I'm not sure where Mario got the money... but with that old arena he can't spend spend spend. Plus, Jagr might not have it in him to lift a team to the playoffs anymore. There's pieces there, but there were ones in Washington as well. That's not a shoo in for the playoffs.

And we're not even counting the couple of million transfer agreement some RSL teams have talked about.

As for Malkin's concern of it, he probably could play in the NHL tomorrow. And probably will if Pittsburgh gets their way. I've said it before, he'll get his points. A traffic cone will get points playing next to Mario. But he still will need to grow into his frame and learn to tolerate the physicality of the NA game against men who he gives up 30-40 pounds to. No, he won't get that adjustment in the RSL. But he will grow older and stronger.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Welcome to Pittsburgh Mr. Kessel . . . actually this is not too much of a surprise. I am not even sure that Fleury will play in Pittsburgh next year (or if he does I would bet that he gets lit up big time). Pittsburgh has some nice parts, but still is closer to sucking for the next few years than to competing for anything.

Skk82

Mar 30, 2004
Arlington, VA
As for Malkin's concern of it, he probably could play in the NHL tomorrow. And probably will if Pittsburgh gets their way. I've said it before, he'll get his points. A traffic cone will get points playing next to Mario.

malkin probably wouldn't be thrown on the top line with lemieux. way too much pressure and attention. the biggest

But he still will need to grow into his frame and learn to tolerate the physicality of the NA game against men who he gives up 30-40 pounds to. No, he won't get that adjustment in the RSL. But he will grow older and stronger.

you're right, he can't adjust to NA sized rinks or style of hockey in russia. he's not going to pickup any real functional english staying another winter in siberia, nor is malkin going to be any better prepared for the culture shock of being a professional athlete in america. there's only one way to undergo those events and that's to dive right in. with malkin's play in the RSL, he's clearly ready for the NHL --at the very least on a weak and green pittsburgh 3rd line, if not already a top 6 player. with that level of skill, it doesn't make sense for the penguins not to look into bringing him over.

that said, there's no IIHF deal currently. yet another thing the NHL is going to have to workout and put into place before a season starts. after the IIHF agreement is back in place, the process of smoothly transferring malkin (and all other european players) should be back in order.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Jaded-Fan said:
Welcome to Pittsburgh Mr. Kessel

#1, Malkin wouldn't have had a substantial impact on the team's fortunes.

#2, Even if he did come over, the Pens would still have signed some UFAs. They aren't a bottom-three lock like they were a year ago.

#3, Don't take Magnitogorsk's word for anything just yet. If Pittsburgh wants him for this season, they will get him.

Skk82

Mar 30, 2004
Arlington, VA
#1, Malkin wouldn't have had a substantial impact on the team's fortunes.

agreed. despite skill and potential, malkin probably wouldn't have gotten more minutes than kraft. if he played in the nhl next year and scored 20 goals, i'd be estactic. given the right linemates maybe 30 assists wouldn't be out of the question. but malkin isn't going to have the initial impact of a ovechkin or crosby where people expect them to not only lead their team in points but compete in league wide races.

dunwoody_joe

Mar 16, 2002
atlanta
Visit site
Leachmeister2000 said:

Translation: blah, blah, blah..."We need to start negotiating through the press to extract every dollar we can in transfer fees from the those capitalistic b*stard Penguins. We understand that Malkin carries significant value but once he signs with Pittsburgh we will have lost our asset. I doubt this will make much difference but I have to start the useless rhetoric. One last thing, I am also available and would make an excellent GM of an NHL club--when my English (or French) improves!"

Or something like that! ;)

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
sirkraut_82 said:
malkin probably wouldn't be thrown on the top line with lemieux. way too much pressure and attention. the biggest

I don't see where he wouldn't play on the top line. That's the easiest way to break him in. Lemieux takes all the pressure, and dishes out the easy assists/points, while being able to shelter Malkin. We've seen it in the recent past with top prospects who were eeriely similar to Malkin in some ways. Kris Beech anyone? No, Beech didn't have the upside that Malkin does... but at one time, he was seen as a top line centerman, with more passing than finish, and who was a little weak on the puck. Mario took it upon himself to 'shelter' Beech a bit and have him on his line. I wouldn't see where that'd be a bad thing if you had to make a choice. And at least with Lemieux, you know you won't frustrate him with a lack of finish.

And as for the rest, maturity and age play a key roll in it. Some things just have to be gained through growth and time. It's not a matter of what is best for Pittsburgh's fans. There are just players who could benefit from given a bit more time, Malkin might be one. He hasn't really been the one to say, I'm on the next plane once the lockout's done. He's said he wanted to stay a bit longer in the RSL. Why push the kid?

#2eddieshore

May 29, 2005
Chimaera said:
I don't see where he wouldn't play on the top line. That's the easiest way to break him in.

I don't agree. If he is on the top line he will be playing against the teams top checking line. If you put Lemieux and Malkin on different lines it will be not so simple for the other team to defend and its likely Lemieux will take the attention away from Malkin. Also Lemiux and Malking are playmakers more than scorers so probably not the best combination to have.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
dunwoody_joe said:
Translation: blah, blah, blah..."We need to start negotiating through the press to extract every dollar we can in transfer fees from the those capitalistic b*stard Penguins. We understand that Malkin carries significant value but once he signs with Pittsburgh we will have lost our asset. I doubt this will make much difference but I have to start the useless rhetoric. One last thing, I am also available and would make an excellent GM of an NHL club--when my English (or French) improves!"

:clap:

I wouldn't be suprised if Malkin is in Russia again last year but I really don't care what his coach says. Did Metallurg also say last year they wouldn't interfere with Malkin leaving for the NHL? :dunno:

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
#2eddieshore said:
I don't agree. If he is on the top line he will be playing against the teams top checking line. If you put Lemieux and Malkin on different lines it will be not so simple for the other team to defend and its likely Lemieux will take the attention away from Malkin. Also Lemiux and Malking are playmakers more than scorers so probably not the best combination to have.

That line of logic actually warrants that Malkin's going to easily adjust to the NA game, center his own line, be good enough in his own end, and hold up to the grind of an NHL season (probably without much of a Training Camp if he does come this year) while producing his own chances and points with relatively deficient (i.e. nowhere near as talented as himself) players on his wing. While still facing top four pair defensemen. Yeah. That makes sense. Most teams go at least 3 defensemen deep. Heck, the Caps can ice 2-3 tolerable ones. He's not going to play against chumps being on the second line. And sometimes more defensive oriented forwards are placed on the second line.

Putting him on Mario's wing is a smart, sound hockey decision. He wouldn't have to worry about the responsibility of taking as many crucial faceoffs (maybe that's a strength, I'm not certain) or being as defensively responsible. Even against the top defensive pair, Mario's going to get the shadowing of the best defenseman, effectively giving Malkin more room to manuever. Mario also can finish. All I ever hear about is how great he is/was/blah blah blah, (I don't like him as a Caps fan, obviously) but the guy has enough finish still in him to finish off passes from Malkin. And while Malkin is adjusting at a slower pace (and not being relied upon to carry his own line) he'll still be able to build confidence and experience from Mario. Not to mention, he could be gradually worked into centering his own line... Instead of right off the boat, right into the fire.

I'd be hard pressed to hand over the Second line centerman's job on a 'potential playoff team with a few pickups' [to quote someone else] (sorry, that's funny...) 18-19 year old, who's still got a few questions he needs to answer. You know what that reads like to me? Either stunting his growth, or bottom 5.

But, you know your Pens better than I. Who would you put Malkin on a line with?

Koltsov? Fata? I don't know. A Mario/Malkin/(Recchi maybe) line wouldn't look too bad.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
dunwoody_joe said:

exactly!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->