Malkin vs Bergeron

Malkin vs Bergeron

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
We can quantify Malkin having 27 points in 20 games being better than Bergeron's 26 in 24, but can't quantify Bergeron being the best defensive forward of all time vs. Malkin's sub-par defensive play, so logically one has to assume Malkin. Also, we can forget Bergeron putting up 79 in 65 last year vs. Malkin's 72 in 68 because that is ancient history.

Look at Bergerons linemates. Bergeron was a 60-point player before that line was formed.

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
Look at Bergerons linemates. Bergeron was a 60-point player before that line was formed.

The upswing in production for both Marchand and Bergeron is almost entirely due too Julien's firing, Bergeron began being used in more offensive situations (and Marchand wasn't even used on the PP). Previously, Krejci was Juliens go-to offensive player.

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
Lmao at Bruins fans trying to justify picking Bergeron here with hot takes like Malkin being "one of the most inconsistent stars" and then hf accusing leaf fans of being biased

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
The idea that Malkin is inconsistent is one that comes from a land of make believe.

Of the big 3 players of Malkin's era:

Sidney Crosby has scored atleast one point in 684 of his 960 career games- 71.2%
Alex Ovechkin has has scored atleast one point in 752 of his 1117 career games- 67.3%
Malkin has scored atleast one point in 622 of 872 career games 71.3%

For what it's worth(nothing):

Bergeron has scored atleast one point in 582 of his 1052 career games- 55.3%

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
The idea that Malkin is inconsistent is one that comes from a land of make believe.

Of the big 3 players of Malkin's era:

Sidney Crosby has scored atleast one point in 684 of his 960 career games- 71.2%
Alex Ovechkin has has scored atleast one point in 752 of his 1117 career games- 67.3%
Malkin has scored atleast one point in 622 of 872 career games 71.3%

For what it's worth(nothing):

Bergeron has scored atleast one point in 582 of his 1052 career games- 55.3%

I don't know if this is necessarily a good indicator of consistency. If you score points in a bunch of games then go cold for a bunch of games, you're not consistent even if the first streak is longer. Malkin's also talented enough to score pretty consistently but, while I think the narrative is overrated, it's his overall level of play on the ice that comes and goes. Bergeron's defensive and possession game is pretty consistent whether or not he's scoring.

Reactions: Ryan Michaels

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I don't know if this is necessarily a good indicator of consistency. If you score points in a bunch of games then go cold for a bunch of games, you're not consistent even if the first streak is longer. Malkin's also talented enough to score pretty consistently but, while I think the narrative is overrated, it's his overall level of play on the ice that comes and goes. Bergeron's defensive and possession game is pretty consistent whether or not he's scoring.
It's more than pretty consistent, it's an absurd level of consistency. Year-to-year, game-to-game, shift-to-shift. You won't find a player that plays at that same consistency anywhere else in the league.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
It's more than pretty consistent, it's an absurd level of consistency. Year-to-year, game-to-game, shift-to-shift. You won't find a player that plays at that same consistency anywhere else in the league.
I hope the Bruins pay you a nice salary.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Bergeron. Malkin much to fragile. Extremely high risk of only playing 45 games a year.

Malkin has played more games than Bergeron the last 3 seasons, 166 to 153

Reactions: sanscosm

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
I'd take Bergeron. Malkin is an amazing player and understand why people vote for him but Bergeron just brings so much to the table. Just such a complete player.
Then there's the plus: Watching The Bruins you see how much his play has influenced and affected the whole roster.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Switch the players. Pens become a worse team because Bergeron can't carry a line on his own. Bruins become a matchup nightmare because you can play Marchand and Pasta on a separate line. With Malkin likely still getting the brunt of the attention.

I can see the argument for Bergeron in consistency and defense. But you're kidding yourself if you don't think Malkin would be an Art Ross favorite year in/out playing with freaking Marchand and Pastrnak.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Switch the players. Pens become a worse team because Bergeron can't carry a line on his own. Bruins become a matchup nightmare because you can play Marchand and Pasta on a separate line. With Malkin likely still getting the brunt of the attention.

I can see the argument for Bergeron in consistency and defense. But you're kidding yourself if you don't think Malkin would be an Art Ross favorite year in/out playing with freaking Marchand and Pastrnak.
What does this even mean? You don't just jam a bunch of players that can only play on one side of the puck together. Look at how garbage the Malkin/Kessel combination was last year. Bergeron adds a unique element to that line and no matter who he's with, he is ALWAYS driving play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->