Malkin vs Bergeron

Malkin vs Bergeron

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I originally was going to say that who I'd pick is dependent on who else I had on my roster, but the more I thought about it, the more I was just trying to come up with excuses to say Bergeron was an equal choice to Malkin. The answer here is Malkin, and it's even stronger for Malkin if you assume that not being on Pittsburgh causes him to play like he does when Crosby is injured.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
We can quantify Malkin having 27 points in 20 games being better than Bergeron's 26 in 24, but can't quantify Bergeron being the best defensive forward of all time vs. Malkin's sub-par defensive play, so logically one has to assume Malkin. Also, we can forget Bergeron putting up 79 in 65 last year vs. Malkin's 72 in 68 because that is ancient history.

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
I prefer Bergeron as a Bruins fan, but understand anyone who would rather Malkin. At this point Bergeron misses ~15 games a year kinda similar to Malkin, but while he's playing he still plays at above a PPG rate and a 40ish goal pace, which is pretty ridiculous for also being arguably the best defensive forward of the decade.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
If this poll had been made a month ago id bet my house Bergeron would have won.

I agree with what you say. I disagree strongly with that always being the opinion on HF though. People thought he was done/Bergeron a top 3-5C recently

I really like Bergeron's game, like I love defensively strong guys that hold their own offensively like RoR, Bergeron, Barkov

That being said Malkin is an easy choice IMO

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
When both are at their absolute best, Malkin. IMHO, he’s more dominant than Crosby in that instance. The caveat, though, is that he doesn’t play at that level nearly enough. Meanwhile, Bergeron has been one of the most complete players over his career. Plus, he’s waaaay more consistent.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
When both are at their absolute best, Malkin. IMHO, he’s more dominant than Crosby in that instance. The caveat, though, is that he doesn’t play at that level nearly enough. Meanwhile, Bergeron has been one of the most complete players over his career. Plus, he’s waaaay more consistent.
Bergeron maintains his same level of play in 99% of the games he plays. This is a comparison of one of the most inconsistent stars vs. one of the most consistent stars, and no one seems to value that at all.

Reactions: BHD and wintersej

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
We can quantify Malkin having 27 points in 20 games being better than Bergeron's 26 in 24, but can't quantify Bergeron being the best defensive forward of all time vs. Malkin's sub-par defensive play, so logically one has to assume Malkin. Also, we can forget Bergeron putting up 79 in 65 last year vs. Malkin's 72 in 68 because that is ancient history.

Bergeron plays with two of the five best wingers in the game though.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

Bergeron doesn't come close to those numbers without two stars on his line, and last year was one of Malkin's worst offensive years and Bergeron's best. Bergeron's consistency and all around play make it close but let's not pretend Malkin isn't a vastly superior offensive player. I think people forget that Malkin has been consistently very good before last season, he just missed time. The 5 previous seasons, he finished 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 7th and 2nd in points per game. This year he's currently 8th, and will probably move up given how he's looked. Also, even their current paces are a difference of 21 points over a full season.

Last edited:

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I originally was going to say that who I'd pick is dependent on who else I had on my roster, but the more I thought about it, the more I was just trying to come up with excuses to say Bergeron was an equal choice to Malkin. The answer here is Malkin, and it's even stronger for Malkin if you assume that not being on Pittsburgh causes him to play like he does when Crosby is injured.

Imagine Malkin spent his peak seasons on a line with current Marchand and Pastrnak, it would be a comical show of dominance.

Reactions: Patric Hornqvist

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Bergeron maintains his same level of play in 99% of the games he plays. This is a comparison of one of the most inconsistent stars vs. one of the most consistent stars, and no one seems to value that at all.

Consistency is the main reason I would go with Bergeron over Malkin. However, being a Pens fan, I’ve seen enough of peak Malkin to go with him. Likewise, I’m sure Bruins fans feel the same about Bergeron. They’ve seen him play a 200ft game on a nightly basis for years.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Malkin's peak level of play is so high i will always go with him in this scenario. Even if inconsistent and injured during the regular season, he's capable of turning it on and leading the playoffs in scoring (see 2017). He can also carry a line by himself, whereas Bergy is on an absolutely stacked line.

Reactions: filinski77

EdzosCrayon

Apr 4, 2013
WAIT WAIT WAIT HOLD ON

I got this

Clear the runway guys, original and hilarious GEM incoming!

Get your mouse hand ready to smash that like button and make sure you're not taking a sip of a drink when you read this bad boy!!!!!

Here it is:

MALKIN ISN'T A TOP 100 PLAYER!!!!!

LMAO

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Ignoring the defense part for a second, can we just image what Marchand-Malkin-Pasternak would do to teams? It’d be disgusting.

Reactions: filinski77

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
I would say the gap of Bergeron > Malkin defensively is pretty much the same as Malkin > Bergeron offensively. I don't look too much into their recent offensive numbers, because Malkin drives his own line, and Bergeron is the 3rd offensive wheel on a line that has 2 of the top 10 forwards in the game.

Considering a forwards primary job is offence, I would easily go with Malkin here.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Malkin doesn't get to play every shift with Marchand and Pastrnak. Heck, look at Malkin's production this year when he's got Guentzel and Rust on his line, who are obviously "inferior" versions of those two in Boston. How much more if he had "better" versions of those guys.

Bergeron is obviously better defensively, but I'm not sure the gap offensively can be waved way because of that.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
An individual forward can impact the game far, far more offensively than on defense, it's just the nature of the sport.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->