Malkin the incredible!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

revolverjgw

Oct 6, 2003
Nova Scotia
To be honest, I haven't seen Ovechkin play - nowhere in Canada can you see a televised Capitals game.

Ovechkin will be on TSN tonight, playing Ottawa.

Malkin + Crosby, the thought of one team having those two centers disgusts and excites me.

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
big_steve said:
I've seen Lecavalier fight on a few occasions but I think Malkin will be a better player in the NHL

Fair enough, I don't watch much Tampa games on my center ice

I still think Malkin is the "tougher" of the two.

Slitty said:
He isn't explosive... he is effortless.
Imagine how good he'd be if he put in an effort!

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
Ogopogo said:
I had the opportunity to attend two of the Team Russia games in this tournament and, I would say Malkin was imressive but not incredible.

He skates well and has excellent hands but, he does not have the explosive kind of speed that Ovechkin seems to have.

I can see Malkin as a top 10 NHL scorer, possibly even top 5. I was only disappointed at his quickness. To be honest, I haven't seen Ovechkin play - nowhere in Canada can you see a televised Capitals game. The highlights are amazing, his speed looks tremendous.

Malkin will be great but Ovechkin might be greater.

JMHO

If you say "he skates well" then you probably know very little about skating.

Last edited:

Chinaski*

When Malkin comes to Pittsburgh forget about Crosby. He is going to be the face of that franchise. It's like Tampa Bay today. Everybody see that Richards much more valuable to the team and yet Lecavalier gets all the attention and money. This is a lame comparison maybe, but that won't happen with Malkin. He is clearly better than kid the sid.

Berkut

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
CSKA said:
Hmmmmm Kovalchuk played with Nr.71 last olympics. Yeah i think 17 retired from international tournaments BUT its a tradition that the Captain of the U20 wears 17 !
Last year, Ovechkin was the captain and was wearing number 8...

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I dont know if he's better than Crosby though, that's a tough one seeing how he'll do in the NHL is going to be key. I mean Corsby has 45 points in 39 games is on pace for about 100 and has averaged 2 points per game since his Team Canada snub, so lets just wait and see first.

But man oh man, do I ever wish Malkin was Canadian. This is a can't miss prospect. I can already tell he's going to be a superstar in the NHL. I'm not sure how Canada is going to play him tomorrow. I assume Parent and Staal will shadow him. But I'm not so sure that hitting him like we did on Ovechkin last year is going to work, he's pretty big and I dont know if that'll affect him as much, oh well we'll see.

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
Big Phil said:
I assume Parent and Staal will shadow him. But I'm not so sure that hitting him like we did on Ovechkin last year is going to work, he's pretty big and I dont know if that'll affect him as much, oh well we'll see.

If Johnson & Johnson couldn't phase him, I doubt Parent and Staal will even dent him

CSKA said:
yep i dont know why .....BUT its 100 % a tradition.

More like 99%

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Siberian said:
Francis was a good player, no doubt about that, but I think we talk different leagues now.
What different leagues are you talking about? Are you even suggesting that Francis wouldn't be an elite player in today's NHL? Or are you making the obvious inferrence that Malkin plays in Russia while Francis played in the NHL? Francis was probably one of the top 25 players in the 2001-02 season. Finished at almost a point-per-game at age 40. He was his team's MVP in their Stanley Cup final run in 2002. Malkin and Francis are very different players. Eric Staal is a much better comparison for Francis.

The comparison to Lecavalier is a much better one for Malkin. What has held Lecavalier back is consistency, not talent. Big, strong, highly-skilled with a physical dimension (when Lecavalier chooses to use it).

Chinaski*

Sammy said:
At least my :biglaugh: has merit.
Malkin clearly better than Ovechkin :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:
Malkin and Ovechkin are both better than kid the sid. Ovechkin has proven and Malkin will prove that in NHL, because he has already proven it internationally. I can recognize the good when I see em. Good luck with your merits. :biglaugh:

pitthockey81

Apr 5, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
I wouldn't push the face of the penguins thing too much. He is going to have to win over the Pittsburghers first. Something not easily done, since many of them hold a slight grudge against Malkin for not being here this year. Whether it's fair or not, that's the case. The city has fallen in love with Crosby, and for Malkin to be the franchise player he will have to outshine not only Crosby but Fleury as well. But hell, the competition will only make them better. Here's to hoping we get that arena so I can watch the Malkin-Crosby-Fleury show for the next 10 yrs.

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
Sammy said:
At least my :biglaugh: has merit.
Malkin clearly better than Ovechkin :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Thats like saying Forsberg is clearly better than Jagr

fact is, both are as good as it gets, both have the hardware, and both will be in the HOF when its said and done

between crosby malkin and ovechkin, if this were a video game they'd all have overalls in the 90s. they're all top of the line. if crosby gets more points than one or one gets more goals, but its close, you cant use that to say one is CLEARLY better than the other because clearly there are other intagibles that go into ones production.

Chinaski*

But for the Malkin's sake he better stay away from Penguins. The best for him is keep playing for the Russian team, until he is eligible to play for another NHL club.

CSKA

May 5, 2003
Visit site
Chinaski said:
But for the Malkin's sake he better stay away from Penguins. The best for him is keep playing for the Russian team, until he is eligible to play for another NHL club.

agree !

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
Chinaski said:

*doctors voice from Harold & Kumar* ".....but why??"

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
pitthockey81 said:
I wouldn't push the face of the penguins thing too much. He is going to have to win over the Pittsburghers first. Something not easily done, since many of them hold a slight grudge against Malkin for not being here this year. Whether it's fair or not, that's the case. The city has fallen in love with Crosby, and for Malkin to be the franchise player he will have to outshine not only Crosby but Fleury as well. But hell, the competition will only make them better. Here's to hoping we get that arena so I can watch the Malkin-Crosby-Fleury show for the next 10 yrs.

Then the fans should be mad at ownership/management ……. They really didn’t put much effort into securing Malkin’s right this year.

Joretus

Chinaski said:

Yeah just check out what Penguins did to Jagr... or Kovalev... or Lemieux.

Joretus

Metallian said:
Thats like saying Forsberg is clearly better than Jagr

Spot on. Ppl are always comparing players when they are totally different. Even hearing things like Iginla is better than Kipper, etc.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Malkin is a very special kid and he continues to impress me.

He is really stepping up for team Russia as a leader and that is always encouraging to see in young players.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Chinaski said:

Yup, playing for the Pens have killed the careers of Mario, Jagr, Kovalev, Crosby . . . .............................................. and on ...................... and on ...................... :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->