Malkin (Over)Hype?

NJDevs430

Jun 9, 2002
Visit site
Krm500 said:
Malkin has been more impressed the Ovechkin in the games that I have seen with team Russia. I don't know if he will be as impressive in the NHL but he sure has potential for it.
Viktor Kozlov looked pretty good on the Russian Olympic team, too...doesn't mean that it will translate to the NHL.
Not that I'm comparing Malkin to Kozlov in any way imaginable. I'm just sayin'

}:-(>

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
I could see Malkin being in the 80-100 point range next year while being one of the best 2 way players in the game. As many have said, I think Malkin is a more complete player than either AO or SC.

I think his game is actually suited better for the NHL. While he can still utilize his speed in the 'new' NHL, his size and reach will be more valuable to him on the smaller ice.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
sarcastro said:
No prolific scoring forwards were in the top *200* in PK ice time per game last season. The one guy who I think of as a scorer who plays a lot on the PK is Iginla, and he was 226th in PK TOI this season.

If Malkin is really as good on the PK as advertised, and gets top unit PK minutes, he'll be out on the ice 5 or 6 minutes a game in non-scoring situations. Getting 22 minutes a night split between ES and PP and scoring 100 points is one thing. Getting 22 minutes a night with 1/4 of them on the PK would logically decrease your potential scoring output by 20-25%. Doesn't mean he's less valuable to his team, but if he's on an even skill level with Crosby, and Crosby's time is all PP and ES, then you would expect Malkin to get 80 points if Crosby gets 100.

Doesn't that make sense?
Ignlia, Modano, Sullivan, Ryan Smith and Jere Lehtinen were all in the top 50 sh toi/pg among forwards.

Yureeka47*

Kaizer said:
Malkin as 18 years old in lockout season scored more than 18 years old Ovechkin in previous season. Heck, he scored more than 19 years old Ovechkin in lockout season.
Malkin scored almost 110 points in RSL after 3 seasons what is almost 40 points higher than Ovechkin after 4 seasons.
Malkin scored as much points as Ovechkin at WJCs (both played 3 times).
Heck, last season Malkin scored more points than Ovechkin had combined after last 2 seasons.

Yep, he is waaay weaker player than Ovechkin ... definitely
The only opinion in this thread I agree that he is not as explosive as Ovechkin.

Exactly, this is why he IS NOT over hyped. When he puts up these sort of stats, why on earth would anyone not hype him up to be an incredible player?

I expect around 100 points for him next season.. If not, he will be a player that dramatically improves year in and year out.

Has anyone paid attention to his passing skills? They're unbelievable, some of them are so brilliant that the player thats supposed to finish the pass, doesn't comprehend the situation fast enough because its SO BRILLIANT. Hes being held up against the boards, fighting for the puck, almost right behind the net, and yet he still somehow manages to center the puck perfectly infront of the goaltender. Unfortunately, the player that received the pass was unable to finish (World Championships this year).

The problem here is that since people have seen AO in the NHL, they almost take him as one of their own. They believe that AO is so fantastic, that how can any rookie possibly be better than him, I mean, especially one that plays overseas?

Malkin is NOT as explosive as AO. Not many players are. Malkin is a much smarter player than Ovechkin though. His vision is phenomenal.

Elite09

Mar 9, 2004
Yureeka47 said:
Exactly, this is why he IS NOT over hyped. When he puts up these sort of stats, why on earth would anyone not hype him up to be an incredible player?

I expect around 100 points for him next season.. If not, he will be a player that dramatically improves year in and year out.

This is what I am talking about. Stats, stats, stats. I guess Corey Perry, Alexander Daigle, etc. You can't base it on stats. Does he have the potential to be good.....of course. But not 100pts in a rookie year good.

To say you expect 100 points in his rookie year is crazy. Name the stakes. I will bet you he will not get 100 points if he plays in the NHL next year.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Elite09 said:
This is what I am talking about. Stats, stats, stats. I guess Corey Perry, Alexander Daigle, etc. You can't base it on stats. Does he have the potential to be good.....of course. But not 100pts in a rookie year good.

To say you expect 100 points in his rookie year is crazy. Name the stakes. I will bet you he will not get 100 points if he plays in the NHL next year.
Were you one of the people betting the same thing about Crosby before this season?

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Elite09 said:

It's not only about stats. Yes, that's part of it but its also how Malkin has LOOKED on the ice next to Ovechkin. It's obvious to everybody who has SEEN Malkin play (Olympics, WC, RSL) that he's in the same class as AO - at least at those levels. Obviously, nothing is a given......but, everything being equal, there's no reason to assume it would be any different at the NHL level.

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
Elite09 said:

What are you talking about? More often than not his overall game, his defensive game and his PK ability are mentioned rather than his stats.
And then you complain about using stats yet you throw down the gauntlet on a bet regarding his stats?

Elite09

Mar 9, 2004
stardog said:
What are you talking about? More often than not his overall game, his defensive game and his PK ability are mentioned rather than his stats.
And then you complain about using stats yet you throw down the gauntlet on a bet regarding his stats?

He is using his stats in other leagues to base his assumption that Malkin will get 100pts in his rookie year in the NHL.

I am saying that awsome stats in leagues other than the nhl don't mean that you will suceed in the nhl. He predicted 100 pts for Malkin in his first year.

I say no. He will not get to 100. Will he be a solid player. Yes. Does he play good defence, yes. Will he contribute to his team, yes. 100pts? No.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Elite09 said:
He is using his stats in other leagues to base his assumption that Malkin will get 100pts in his rookie year in the NHL.

I am saying that awsome stats in leagues other than the nhl don't mean that you will suceed in the nhl. He predicted 100 pts for Malkin in his first year.

I say no. He will not get to 100. Will he be a solid player. Yes. Does he play good defence, yes. Will he contribute to his team, yes. 100pts? No.

And what you are basing that on? The law of averages?

I'm not saying he will score 100 points, but it does appear to be within the range of possibility. He's got a pedigree similar to those of AO and SC.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Because of some posters here I'm starting to really hope that Malkin fails. Come on, how a guy can be considered in the same class as guys like AO and Sidney Crosby who scored 100 points as rookies on super-crappy teams? Malkin as alot of potential and one day he will probably be a star, but 100 points being a sure thing in his rookie season? Never! He has everything to be good yes, he was really good in the Olympics and in the WC but guys like Peltonen and Mark Streit are good in those kind of competition and yet they are no NHL superstar. I just think that in Malkin case we have to wait and see.

He won't get 22-25 minutes a game, Crosby will. Malkin is said to be a real complete player so it is obvious that he'll play the PK and like someone else said playing on the PK doesn't give you points. Malkin will be real great and probably will win the Calder quite easily but I don't see him scoring as many points as Sid or AO did in their rookie years.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
DanyHeatley#1Fan said:
. Malkin will be real great and probably will win the Calder quite easily but I don't see him scoring as many points as Sid or AO did in their rookie years.

You do realize he will be on the same PP as Crosby right? You think those two might just rack up a few points on the PP. together?

Malkin will also not have to face the other teams top checking line, unless he is skating a shift on Crosby's line.

I've seen him play enough times and with the way he passes I believe 90-100 pts is attainable.

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
DanyHeatley#1Fan said:
Because of some posters here I'm starting to really hope that Malkin fails. Come on, how a guy can be considered in the same class as guys like AO and Sidney Crosby who scored 100 points as rookies on super-crappy teams? Malkin as alot of potential and one day he will probably be a star, but 100 points being a sure thing in his rookie season? Never! He has everything to be good yes, he was really good in the Olympics and in the WC but guys like Peltonen and Mark Streit are good in those kind of competition and yet they are no NHL superstar. I just think that in Malkin case we have to wait and see.

He won't get 22-25 minutes a game, Crosby will. Malkin is said to be a real complete player so it is obvious that he'll play the PK and like someone else said playing on the PK doesn't give you points. Malkin will be real great and probably will win the Calder quite easily but I don't see him scoring as many points as Sid or AO did in their rookie years.
Where did anyone say its a sure thing?
As for hoping Malkin fails because of some posters on here, I would think that is a statement that really needs to be looked at.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think Malkin will hit 80 points. The one thing I've noticed about him is that, as great as he is, he's kind of a slow starter.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Jimmypop316 said:
Malkin not getting over 100 points will be a jaw dropper. Especially if he is playing with Crosby

Speaking of Crosby, From what I've observed, Malkin is more like Crosby in his playing style than Ovechkin. Although Malkin is bigger than either, he is a great passer.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Jacobv2 said:
I think Malkin will hit 80 points. The one thing I've noticed about him is that, as great as he is, he's kind of a slow starter.

Remember Malkin may experience culture shock, which may hold him up. I think it was smooth sailing for Ovechkin, because he's Mr.Congeniality and was very quick to put himself in positon to learn English. Malkin doesn't seem as assertive.

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
I think some of the hype surrounding Malkin earlier on was unjustified. I have no problem with the Russian posters and those that have seen Malkin play extensively suggesting he's on the level of Crosby and Ovechkin. But what I do take issue with is Joe Blow from Nowhere, USA, who has only seen Malkin play in a few games or video clips claiming "Malkin is soo much better than Crosby/Ovechkin, just wait 'til he makes it to the NHL." These are the people I don't take seriously; those who don't really have any first-hand knowledge of Malkin and his game, but rely instead on seventh-hand scouting reports.

Alot of the people saying Malkin is better than Ovechkin/Crosby are simply doing so because Malkin is the "sexier" pick. Despite the fact that Ovechkin/Crosby had superb rookie seasons, in the eyes of some at HF, their value if now diminished. It's typical for posters here to choose unknown prospects over established NHLers, and I think that's the case for some people choosing Malkin.

And of course, some of the people hyping Malkin have been Pens' fans. No real surprise there. I think some of their rationale is "if Malkin's going to be better than Crosby, and Crosby is already great, then our team is going to kick ***, and everyone else should be jealous."

So yeah, I would say that a portion of the Malkin hype has been unjustified, simply because it's more "en vogue" to choose to the unknown prospect, and that's what many have done. But like I said, I have no problem with those who have extensive knowledge of actually watching Malkin play hype him up; I'm happy they are here to provide the insight. If they say Malkin can get 100 points, I'll listen. But when Joe Blow or a Pens' fan is saying it... I'm a little skeptical.

I do think Malkin's play at the Olympics has justified the hype somewhat.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
Til the End of Time said:
I think some of the hype surrounding Malkin earlier on was unjustified. I have no problem with the Russian posters and those that have seen Malkin play extensively suggesting he's on the level of Crosby and Ovechkin. But what I do take issue with is Joe Blow from Nowhere, USA, who has only seen Malkin play in a few games or video clips claiming "Malkin is soo much better than Crosby/Ovechkin, just wait 'til he makes it to the NHL." These are the people I don't take seriously; those who don't really have any first-hand knowledge of Malkin and his game, but rely instead on seventh-hand scouting reports.

Alot of the people saying Malkin is better than Ovechkin/Crosby are simply doing so because Malkin is the "sexier" pick. Despite the fact that Ovechkin/Crosby had superb rookie seasons, in the eyes of some at HF, their value if now diminished. It's typical for posters here to choose unknown prospects over established NHLers, and I think that's the case for some people choosing Malkin.

And of course, some of the people hyping Malkin have been Pens' fans. No real surprise there. I think some of their rationale is "if Malkin's going to be better than Crosby, and Crosby is already great, then our team is going to kick ***, and everyone else should be jealous."

So yeah, I would say that a portion of the Malkin hype has been unjustified, simply because it's more "en vogue" to choose to the unknown prospect, and that's what many have done. But like I said, I have no problem with those who have extensive knowledge of actually watching Malkin play hype him up; I'm happy they are here to provide the insight. If they say Malkin can get 100 points, I'll listen. But when Joe Blow or a Pens' fan is saying it... I'm a little skeptical.

Couldn't have put it better myself! :clap:

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
But like I said, I have no problem with those who have extensive knowledge of actually watching Malkin play hype him up; I'm happy they are here to provide the insight. If they say Malkin can get 100 points, I'll listen. But when Joe Blow or a Pens' fan is saying it... I'm a little skeptical.
You aren't skeptical ... I was skeptical when said that Vanek playing with Dumont and Briere will score about 50 pts. and it will be enough to outscore Ovechkin (playing with Halpern and Zubrus, new country, new culture etc ... :D )

chlebak

Mar 21, 2006
Litvinov
Malkin has at least all Ovechkin´s skills and much more. Malkin has sense for combination and good pass in contrast to Ovechkin, who is individualist, I misunderstand, how it is possible, he had 54 asssist.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

The hype was always justified.

As my cousin is from Russia, I have had the chance to watch Malkin play in close to 50+ games.

I was one of the select few people trying to talk Pens fans out of suicide back when they lost the lottery in '04, because I knew how good Malkin was.

If you think he is overhyped that is your opinion.

However, your statements swing both ways. So if you haven't watched Malkin play at all or in enough games, then I don't believe you are educated enough about Malkin to decide if he is overhyped or not.

As for those saying he will be better than Crosby and AO, that I would agree is ridiculous.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
chlebak said:
Malkin has at least all Ovechkin´s skills and much more. Malkin has sense for combination and good pass in contrast to Ovechkin, who is individualist, I misunderstand, how it is possible, he had 54 asssist.

Malkin may be better defensively, but his finishing ability is clearly a rung below Ovechkin's. Crosby, despite 39, is in a similar boat but makes up for it w/freakishly good instincts.

Ovechkin one-dimensional is as ludicrous as saying Crosby can't score goals, IMO.

The expectations next year for Malkin are somewhat overhyped IMO, but he's a stud. He'll be challenging for the Hart/Ross/Pearson during his prime w/AO and Crosby.

You couldn't dream of a better 1-2 punch down the middle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad