Malkin (Over)Hype?

Elite09

Mar 9, 2004
I don't think he will be as good as a NHL player as most people here think. The hype around here is crazy for him. I think he will be a solid NHL player for many many years, but I can't see him being as good as most here think.

I am reading that he will get 100pts next year, etc.

I see a solid year if he is here and between 50-60pts as the #2 center in Pittsburgh. A solid solid year for a rookie, but not near the output we were blessed with from this years rookies.

Agree or disagree with my thoughts is fine, but the hype here is insane. It seems every decent prospect is the next top 5 player in the league.

Gretzky and Lemieux don't come along often and we are luck in our life time to see the same fued with Crosby and Ovechkin.

I don't see it with Malkin. He will be solid, but not God.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
I dunno, if you ask me he has looked like he's in the same class as AO or SC.....AO didn't outshine him on team Russia.

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg
Malkin has been more impressed the Ovechkin in the games that I have seen with team Russia. I don't know if he will be as impressive in the NHL but he sure has potential for it.

barfy2000

Jun 23, 2005
Whitby, Ontario
Krm500 said:
Malkin has been more impressed the Ovechkin in the games that I have seen with team Russia. I don't know if he will be as impressive in the NHL but he sure has potential for it.

Agreed. The hype is deserved. He will be one of the best players in the league. Possibly next year.

Lars

Aug 22, 2005
Vancouver Canada
My personal bet for Malkin's totals to be next season will be about 25-30 goals 75-85 points. But scoring isn't his only and greatest asset, which is why is described as "god". He had so many Takeaways in the World Cup Tourney, anyone recall his first goal?

Offensively, I dont think he'll be that close to Ovechkin. Like someone stated above, Ovechkin is alot more Explosive.

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
44_bertuzzi_44 said:
My personal bet for Malkin's totals to be next season will be about 25-30 goals 75-85 points. But scoring isn't his only and greatest asset, which is why is described as "god". He had so many Takeaways in the World Cup Tourney, anyone recall his first goal?

Offensively, I dont think he'll be that close to Ovechkin. Like someone stated above, Ovechkin is alot more Explosive.

Maybe something along the lines of malkin to crosby as messier to gretzky? Not comparing eithe rof them to those two but their roles on the team.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Probably overhyped here on HF. But so are most prospects.

From what I have seen he has a good chance of becoming a good NHL player. But just because Crosby and Ovechkin had fantastic rookie seasons, don't expect other touted prospects to have 1 PPG. Nor are they busts if they have 40 points their first season.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
From what I saw at the Olympics he has very good offensive skills but not quite Ovechkin or Crosby level, but he is a complete player who is a terror on the backcheck and the PK. Who knows how his game will translate to the NHL and how he'll mature. None of us, so it's kind of silly to anoint him as a 100 point player as a rookie.

If he gets a lot of PK time, that's less time he'll be on the ice in scoring situations. That would seem like it would decrease his scoring potential a bit. He'll probably win the Calder and I'll guess 30-45-75 on the points. :dunno:

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Even if he's not as good as Ovechkin and Crosby, Sid will help Malkin fulfill expectations. Malkin has a HUGE advantage over both rookies in that respect.

Vincent_TheGreat

Feb 27, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
I think Malkin will be a Consistent 70-80 point guy in his career, he'll probably have a few big seasons, But I haven't seen anything from him that would have me believe he is a 100+ point guy.

Buffalo87

thehosers dot com
Mar 22, 2006
Rochester
44_bertuzzi_44 said:

Completely agree with this.

sick

May 18, 2006
Finland
Haha after this season when we had two amazing rookies, nothing is good enough for us anymore. :)

Even if Malkin is really, really good, but not in the same level what crosby and ovy.

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
Malkin as 18 years old in lockout season scored more than 18 years old Ovechkin in previous season. Heck, he scored more than 19 years old Ovechkin in lockout season.
Malkin scored almost 110 points in RSL after 3 seasons what is almost 40 points higher than Ovechkin after 4 seasons.
Malkin scored as much points as Ovechkin at WJCs (both played 3 times).
Heck, last season Malkin scored more points than Ovechkin had combined after last 2 seasons.

Yep, he is waaay weaker player than Ovechkin ... definitely
The only opinion in this thread I agree that he is not as explosive as Ovechkin.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Well Ovechkin is a pure goal scorrer (though yeah he's also more then a goal scorrer, just check his NHL stats..he's not 1 dimentional), Malkin is more of an all around kinda player.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Kaizer said:
Malkin as 18 years old in lockout season scored more than 18 years old Ovechkin in previous season. Heck, he scored more than 19 years old Ovechkin in lockout season.
Malkin scored almost 110 points in RSL after 3 seasons what is almost 40 points higher than Ovechkin after 4 seasons.
Malkin scored as much points as Ovechkin at WJCs (both played 3 times).
Heck, last season Malkin scored more points than Ovechkin had combined after last 2 seasons.

Yep, he is waaay weaker player than Ovechkin ... definitely
The only opinion in this thread I agree that he is not as explosive as Ovechkin.

When Malkin scores 106 points next season then you can bragg.

Jimmypop316

Jun 21, 2005
Malkin not getting over 100 points will be a jaw dropper. Especially if he is playing with Crosby

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
sarcastro said:
If he gets a lot of PK time, that's less time he'll be on the ice in scoring situations. That would seem like it would decrease his scoring potential a bit. He'll probably win the Calder and I'll guess 30-45-75 on the points. :dunno:

I doubt it. There are tonnes of players in the league that play PP, PK, and ES minutes every game and still rack up big numbers.

I'd be surprised if he doesn't score at least a point per game.

Pittsburgh's PP will be deadly next year, and Malkin will contribute and benefit from that.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
some ppl overhype malkin, but that always happens here w/ great prospects.

malkin is that good. i think he'll quickly become 1 of best players in NHL. in addition to being great offensively, he is just amazing defensively. i've never seen any forward that young so good defensively. he could be, like fedorov was, selke finalist very early in his career.

true, malkin isn't as explosive as AO, but who is? not everyone needs to be explosive. and malkin has still outscored AO in RSL and international play.

orcatown

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I saw him in a couple of the World Junior games and he was far and away the most talented person in the tournament. You compare to his age group and his upside is huge. A talent like him comes along only once in awhile. Good for hockey that the best three prospects in years - Crosby, AO, and Malkin are all coming on the scene at the same time. Is Malkin overhyped - absolutely no. Was Lemieux overhyped in his day?

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Bank Shot said:
I doubt it. There are tonnes of players in the league that play PP, PK, and ES minutes every game and still rack up big numbers.

I'd be surprised if he doesn't score at least a point per game.

Pittsburgh's PP will be deadly next year, and Malkin will contribute and benefit from that.

No prolific scoring forwards were in the top *200* in PK ice time per game last season. The one guy who I think of as a scorer who plays a lot on the PK is Iginla, and he was 226th in PK TOI this season.

If Malkin is really as good on the PK as advertised, and gets top unit PK minutes, he'll be out on the ice 5 or 6 minutes a game in non-scoring situations. Getting 22 minutes a night split between ES and PP and scoring 100 points is one thing. Getting 22 minutes a night with 1/4 of them on the PK would logically decrease your potential scoring output by 20-25%. Doesn't mean he's less valuable to his team, but if he's on an even skill level with Crosby, and Crosby's time is all PP and ES, then you would expect Malkin to get 80 points if Crosby gets 100.

Doesn't that make sense?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad