Malkin or Phaneuf?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
Who would you rather have? Why?

If you were Calgary would you trade Phaneuf for Malkin straight up?
If you were Pittsburgh would you trade Malkin for Phaneuf straight up?

I was thinking about this tonight and couldn't decide between the two. Its really hard to get a stud dman like Phaneuf but Malkin's potential continues to rise which is hard to imagine (I wish he was in Pittsburgh this year).

If i'm Calgary I don't think I trade Phaneuf straight up, but you never know.
If i'm Pittsburgh it would be hard to trade Malkin but I think I might do it because they've already got a #1 Centre in Crosby, a future #1 goalie in Fleury, now they need a #1 dman and I think Phaneuf could be that for them in a year or two.

Thoughts everyone?

Claypool_*

trahans99 said:
Who would you rather have? Why?

If you were Calgary would you trade Phaneuf for Malkin straight up?
If you were Pittsburgh would you trade Malkin for Phaneuf straight up?

I was thinking about this tonight and couldn't decide between the two. Its really hard to get a stud dman like Phaneuf but Malkin's potential continues to rise which is hard to imagine (I wish he was in Pittsburgh this year).

If i'm Calgary I don't think I trade Phaneuf straight up, but you never know.
If i'm Pittsburgh it would be hard to trade Malkin but I think I might do it because they've already got a #1 Centre in Crosby, a future #1 goalie in Fleury, now they need a #1 dman and I think Phaneuf could be that for them in a year or two.

Thoughts everyone?

Pittsburgh already has Whitney. Pittsburgh doesn't have any effective centers besides Crosby who hasen't been steller on the face-offs, which, if you watch Pittsburgh (and I know you don't) face-offs kill them every game.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Considering I've been saying I think Malkin will be better than anyone in a couple years, I'm standing firm with Malkin.

Granted I'm a Pens fan. But I still think he'll be better than Crosby.

That, and like Claypool said, Crosby isn't long for the center job in the NHL.

I expect him to be on Malkin's wing for a long time.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Claypool said:
Pittsburgh already has Whitney. Pittsburgh doesn't have any effective centers besides Crosby who hasen't been steller on the face-offs, which, if you watch Pittsburgh (and I know you don't) face-offs kill them every game.

CENTER is also spelled CENTRE in several other countries besides the united states.

And by the way, I'll take Malkin. Just ask yourself: who would you take, Phaneuf or Crosby/Ovechkin. If you chose Crosby/Ovechkin you would choose Malkin as well.

Claypool_*

jmelm said:
CENTER is also spelled CENTRE in several other countries besides the united states.

I know that. I've become the HF agitator apparently.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
Claypool said:

I hear what your saying but Phaneuf >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Whitney.

I'm not saying Phaneuf is better than Malkin, just wanting opinions from everyone. And like someone else said its a possibility that they play on the same line.

And how do you know I don't watch Pittsburgh?

Brad*

It depends.

Elite defenseman, or elite forward? Heck, it may become best defenseman in the NHL, or best forward in the NHL?

Claypool_*

trahans99 said:
I hear what your saying but Phaneuf >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Whitney.

I'd love to see how well Phaneuf would do in Pittsburgh. Whitney has been their best defensemen. Plus it depends what you want. Whitney will give you offense, Phaneuf will give you more physical play. Clearly Phaneuf is the best rookie defensemen in the NHL, but to suggest Phaneuf is 10X (or so) better than Whitney is crazy talk.

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
Honestly I think Pittsburg would be better off with Phaneuf. Than their team would have a potential franchise player at each position and could anchor each position as well.

Crosby, Phaneuf, Fleury

That to me would be a lethal rounded combination to build around for the next decade.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I'd take Phaneuf because of what he's proven in the NHL so far. One year from now, the pick may change.

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??
Ii have no idea which player is or will be better, in fact I think its comparing apples to oranges. That being said, I may rather have a franchise forward and a franchise defenceman than two franchise forwards. But I don't know, from everything I've heard, Malkin is the real deal, pretty hard to not want him on the roster.

Puckz

Jun 22, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
The deal would never happen, although I think you are aware of this and are just looking for a hypothetical answer. Really comes down to needs, as people have mentioned, Phaneuf is the best rookie defenceman, and would do well in Pittsburgh, and I'm sure Malkin would equally flourish in Calgary. Do you want offence or defence? Forwards or blueliners? I would take Phaneuf, but that is a little bit of a bias and I am not saying Phaneuf is a better player, is it just hard to judge a forward vs. a defenceman.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Malkin for me hands down. Franchise type centers are tougher to find than hen's teeth, not that franchise type defenseman are easy to find. But center is the position that touches the puck more often than any other position on the ice (other than goalie of course). To have two of the very best to anchor your top two lines is something you really can not give up. No way Pittsburgh does this trade. They would of course love to have a player of Phaneuf's calibre on defense but I would take a Whitney and Orpik when they hit their prime and a few average or a bit above average defenders and take my chances rolling Crosby and Malkin out there. Hell, it is looking like maybe Kessel or Frolik too, eh? ;)

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Jaded-Fan said:
Malkin for me hands down. Franchise type centers are tougher to find than hen's teeth, not that franchise type defenseman are easy to find. But center is the position that touches the puck more often than any other position on the ice (other than goalie of course). To have two of the very best to anchor your top two lines is something you really can not give up. No way Pittsburgh does this trade. They would of course love to have a player of Phaneuf's calibre on defense but I would take a Whitney and Orpik when they hit their prime and a few average or a bit above average defenders and take my chances rolling Crosby and Malkin out there. Hell, maybe Kessel and Frolik too, eh?

Actually, I think franchise defensemen are harder to find than franchise centers. Look no further than the draft, where, traditionally, you could probably have your pick of four or five centers from the first ten selections.

Phaneuf would instantly become the Pens' best defenseman, and lead this team with Crosby for a long, long time. In my opinion, he would have an even-money shot of going on to become the Pens' all-time best defenseman. And what more do the Penguins need than defense?

Malkin has enormous potential, but he's less proven that Phaneuf as of now, and that's coupled with the extra difficulty of projecting an RSL product into an NHL role, even if he does seem as legit as you can get. And that's not to mention the possible international tangles down the road.

While I'd love the luxury of an elite 1-2 punch down the middle, I think I'd appreciate the presence of a stud #1 defenseman (which neither Whitney nor Orpik figure to become) even more.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
And on Calgary's side, their stacked defense could probably afford to sacrifice a guy like Phaneuf for an elite all-around centerman like Malkin figures to become (...or has become, depending on which continent you live).

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
tom_servo said:
Actually, I think franchise defensemen are harder to find than franchise centers. Look no further than the draft, where, traditionally, you could probably have your pick of four or five centers from the first ten selections.

Phaneuf would instantly become the Pens' best defenseman, and lead this team with Crosby for a long, long time. In my opinion, he would have an even-money shot of going on to become the Pens' all-time best defenseman. And what more do the Penguins need than defense?

Malkin has enormous potential, but he's less proven that Phaneuf as of now, and that's coupled with the extra difficulty of projecting an RSL product into an NHL role, even if he does seem as legit as you can get. And that's not to mention the possible international tangles down the road.

While I'd love the luxury of an elite 1-2 punch down the middle, I think I'd appreciate the presence of a stud #1 defenseman ( which neither Whitney or Orpik figure to become) even more.

I should have definately prefaced my comments with 'assuming that each become the elite players at their position that we hope they do.' I agree, Phaneuf is hands down the surer bet as he has already done it at this level. But aside from that I stand by my thoughts, I would take the elite center over the elite defenseman. They just will be more involved in the game and naturally have more touches. And in the end you want your best to have as many chances as possible to make a difference. We of course do not have the choice set forth in this hypothetical so will just have to settle for Malkin and Crosby down the middle, eh?

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Patrick - Flames Fan said:
Honestly I think Pittsburg would be better off with Phaneuf. Than their team would have a potential franchise player at each position and could anchor each position as well.

Crosby, Phaneuf, Fleury

That to me would be a lethal rounded combination to build around for the next decade.

they have Whitney already so it's not like their defense will be shoddy for years to come.

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
I'd definitely trade Malkin for Phaneuf, from the Pens perspective. Having two excellent centers like Malkin and Crosby is a fine luxury, but I'd rather have a potential great center, great d-man, and great goalie.

Phaneuf is the ideal number one defensive. Malkin could be great, but I also wonder if he'll actually come over next season.

Phaneuf would give the Penguins a true defensive stalwart, which they desperately need.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Right now I would take Phaneuf, hands down. Land Malkin on N.A. soil free and clear and it's a tough choice.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Jaded-Fan said:
Malkin for me hands down. Franchise type defenders and take my chances rolling Crosby and Malkin out there. Hell, it is looking like maybe Kessel or Frolik too, eh? ;)

Oh no you don't. No more top picks for Pittsburgh. They've got more than their fair share. They want great players, they can draft them late, like the Wings have been doing ....well,after they drafted Yzerman at #4 overall, anyways.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Til the End of Time said:
I'd definitely trade Malkin for Phaneuf, from the Pens perspective. Having two excellent centers like Malkin and Crosby is a fine luxury, but I'd rather have a potential great center, great d-man, and great goalie.

Phaneuf is the ideal number one defensive. Malkin could be great, but I also wonder if he'll actually come over next season.

Phaneuf would give the Penguins a true defensive stalwart, which they desperately need.

You'd probably trade Malkin for Chris McAllister if you had the chance.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
octopi said:
Oh no you don't. No more top picks for Pittsburgh. They've got more than their fair share. They want great players, they can draft them late, like the Wings have been doing ....well,after they drafted Yzerman at #4 overall, anyways.

Agreed.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Claypool said:
I'd love to see how well Phaneuf would do in Pittsburgh. Whitney has been their best defensemen. Plus it depends what you want. Whitney will give you offense, Phaneuf will give you more physical play. Clearly Phaneuf is the best rookie defensemen in the NHL, but to suggest Phaneuf is 10X (or so) better than Whitney is crazy talk.

I usually agree with a lot of your posts but seriously, Whitney is not in the same level has Phaneuf at all. Phaneuf provides just as much offense as Whitney but has a better shot. Once Phaneuf gets that cannon on net more often he will be a 20-25 goal defensman in the league. He is also a complete physical beast. IMO Phaneuf will be a top 2-3 defensman in the entire league in a few years, Whitney will not be that good but he will be a top 10 dman in the league.

Anyway back onto topic....if someone asked me who would i'd rather have, Phaneuf or Malkin...i'd probably have to sit down and think about that for quite awhile. ....and right now I cant decide. I'll think about it though. Good question by the topic starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad