Malkin on fire!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
2 goals today in Metallurgist Magnitogorsk's 3-1 win over Lokomotiv........1 goal in their previous game on the 10th.......

Could he overake Ovechkin for #1 overall at the 2004 draft?
If Magnitogorsk features him more in the 2nd half after he gets back from the WJHC U-20 (ie. 1st or 2nd line instead of 3rd or 4th) then he well could overtake Ovechkin for #1 overall...

Malkin is9.5 months younger than Ovechkin.......already close to 6'3 and just needs to fill out weight-wise...one factor may be whether a team choosing #1 overall prefers Winger or a Centre if the decision becomesnot clear-cut between the two..

BlackJack21

Nov 6, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
hawksfan50 said:
2 goals today in Metallurgist Magnitogorsk's 3-1 win over Lokomotiv........1 goal in their previous game on the 10th.......

If Magnitogorsk features him more in the 2nd half after he gets back from the WJHC U-20 (ie. 1st or 2nd line instead of 3rd or 4th) then he well could overtake Ovechkin for #1 overall...

Malkin is9.5 months younger than Ovechkin.......already close to 6'3 and just needs to fill out weight-wise...one factor may be whether a team choosing #1 overall prefers Winger or a Centre if the decision becomesnot clear-cut between the two..

I dont think so...

If it happen it would be like the Bruins drafting Marleau over Thornton just because he is a center and that's what they are looking at...

I know that Thornton is a center too, but I could'nt find a better example. So just imagine that he is a wingger... :dunno: :D

BJ21

CSKA

May 5, 2003
Visit site
La-La-Laprise said:
Isnt that what they said about Spezza :)

I know Ovechkin is amazing and all, but no one is ever a lock.

Spezza was a lock, Bouwmeester was a lock. Things can change.

Malkin is just awesome ! BIG with ton of skills ! Could be the next Sergei Fedorov ! Yes ! From what i saw he is a hard worker .........

we will see ..........

Oh and Malkin is awesome but Sascha O is just another Level .........

hawksfan50 said:

Why no capitalization?

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
Doomsday Device said:
Why no capitalization?

Remember, now after Zherdev issue it depends not only on the skills but also on which team the player is in because Metallurg is way richer then Dynamo. I am sure that now both Ovechkin and Malkin will become privates of Russian Army as soon as they turn 18 and then after the agreement with NHL and IIHF expires Russian clubs would want to deal directly with NHL clubs just like it is done between NBA and European clubs.

Read this stuff http://www.foxsports.com/content/view?contentId=1931866
and also this on Malkin http://www.rushockey.com/events.php?i=sl&stream=sl_news&id=33

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
La-La-Laprise said:

Spezza certainly wasn't a lock in his year. In fact Kovalchuk was more highly touted to go first.

Bouwmeester and Nash wasn't a straightforward case as the team who had the #1 pick ended up taking Bouwmeester and it was clear they would have taken him had they stayed at #1. But they gott more assets out of it because Columbus wanted to ensure they nabbed Nash.

Gumby

Nov 14, 2003
By the beach!! FL
Visit site
I saw that CSB had Malkin at 2 but hadn't heard a whisper about him on here....good to see at least some info on him, and that he does look to be another potential franchise guy added to the mix in the draft.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
La-La-Laprise said:

Actually, most felt Kovalchuk was #1 at this point of the year, and he was a virtual lock for 1st overall after the WJC.

Kev88

Co-Founder of LaPasserelle
Nov 30, 2003
Canada
www.lapasserellehockey.com
Evgeny Malkin: Highly skilled, smooth skating, playmaking power-forward centerman, but needs to be more consistent in his physical game. Finesse player. A threat when ever he is on the ice. Good on face-offs. Good anticipation. Sees the ice well. Smart Player. Knows where his teammates are all the time. Good playmaker. Creates scoring opportunities for his teammates. Malkin is like a pitbull with a nose for the net. He is a 6'3" 205 lb. He showed his fluid stride, superb vision and creativity, and wonderfully soft hands. And he plays surprisingly well in his own end (he finished the tourney at +11 and was not on ice for an even strength goal against) for a kid still three months shy of his 17th birthday.

I don't think Malkin can be drafted before Ovechkin Because Ovechkin is a offensive bomb and Malkin an offensive Power Forward.

SIBIR

Dec 9, 2003
Berlin - Novosibirsk
Siberian said:
Remember, now after Zherdev issue it depends not only on the skills but also on which team the player is in because Metallurg is way richer then Dynamo. I am sure that now both Ovechkin and Malkin will become privates of Russian Army as soon as they turn 18 and then after the agreement with NHL and IIHF expires Russian clubs would want to deal directly with NHL clubs just like it is done between NBA and European clubs.

Read this stuff http://www.foxsports.com/content/view?contentId=1931866
and also this on Malkin http://www.rushockey.com/events.php?i=sl&stream=sl_news&id=33

Remember, Malkin and Ovechkin play for Dynamo and Metallurg. These teams don't have any connection to the "Russian Army". CSKA is a part of the Russian Army. There is a difference.

Ovechkin is already 18 ...

Bandwagoner

Nov 18, 2003
Canada
Visit site
jmelm said:
Great news for the Pens!

Now, even if they don't get Ovechkin, they'll get a serious player. :yo:

Yeah great news... though it's pretty sad that all the pens have to look forward to now this year is how they do in the lottery.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Bandwagoner said:
Yeah great news... though it's pretty sad that all the pens have to look forward to now this year is how they do in the lottery.

It was sad two years ago. Nowadays, everyone's eager to get some fresh faces into this organization.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad