Malkin named to IIHF All-Time Russian Team...Ovechkin left off

Mar 12, 2009
Legacy? Sure. However Malkin has been the better player.

That said, as previously stated the margin has been slim. We also must take into account other variables:

1: Ovechkin has a playing style more conducive to strong play at an advanced than Malkin.
2: Malkin has been awful this year whereas Ovechkin hasn't.

It's possible that Ovechkin will surpass him. We shall see...

I'd say having Crosby as another center on your team gives Malkin more advantageous line matchups than Ovechkin over a career.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
I'd say having Crosby as another center on your team gives Malkin more advantageous line matchups than Ovechkin over a career.

The vice-versa is true too.

Pens fans definitely know how to highlight Crosby getting the top defensive match-ups (even though on a team with Malkin that's only marginally true because opposing teams deploy based on zone starts as much as individuals and it's not like they're saying "Oh it's only Malkin getting an offensive zone draw so let's put out our lower pairing.").

Ovechkin gets the top match-up more than anyone. There has rarely - if not never - been a time in Ovechkin's career where the Caps' second line was equally dangerous to Ovie's line.

crazy8888

Sep 8, 2010
Brooklyn NY
Yeah, I never understood why people view "hits" as a positive for Ovechkin. Most of his hits are not very influential on the play. I mean, sure, it takes its toll and the guy is a truck, but, to me, it is not something that enhances his game tremendously. I'd love to see a "heat map" of Ovechkin. He seems to spend A LOT of time on the perimeter (which is not a criticism, he is a shooter and he gets open, that's his job). He does not seem to be a "dirty area" guy. Which, once again, is not a criticism; with his shot, he does not need to be. His biggest value is getting open and unleashing that shot.

I really fail to see how the NUMBER of hits is an enhancer. I feel like it is a failed attempt at picturing him as a complete player/power forward. He is a VERY powerful/strong player, but I never saw him as a pure power forward. Of the rush, he definitely overpowers defenders though, so I guess it is semantics. Anyway, we are discussing the best of the bests here, so I guess some weird differentiators need to be found.

You know it could be because hits are a big part of the game and like you yourself stated it takes a toll on the other guy because Ovi is a truck. You do know that there are some players in the league who get paid to mostly hit and be physical. But somehow someway when Ovi throws hits its NOT a positive? I really really want what you are smoking.
this is crazy. One is a soft player who gets injured all the time and the other puts guys on their asses game in and game out. But somehow that should be not counted when comparing both players.
I mean i get that after 2018 haters lost a lot of ammo but come on, this is a joke.

Say what you want. Think what you want. But it may be a very long time before you see another players that is top of the league in scoring and finishes top 10 in hits multiple times. And thats the sad part really. There were not many before him and the way things are going especially with how the game is changing. You may never see a player like that again.

Hate but appreciate!!!

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
You know it could be because hits are a big part of the game and like you yourself stated it takes a toll on the other guy because Ovi is a truck. You do know that there are some players in the league who get paid to mostly hit and be physical. But somehow someway when Ovi throws hits its NOT a positive? I really really want what you are smoking.
this is crazy. One is a soft player who gets injured all the time and the other puts guys on their asses game in and game out. But somehow that should be not counted when comparing both players.
I mean i get that after 2018 haters lost a lot of ammo but come on, this is a joke.

Say what you want. Think what you want. But it may be a very long time before you see another players that is top of the league in scoring and finishes top 10 in hits multiple times. And thats the sad part really. There were not many before him and the way things are going especially with how the game is changing. You may never see a player like that again.

Hate but appreciate!!!

Malkin is a... soft player?

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
Yeah, I never understood why people view "hits" as a positive for Ovechkin. Most of his hits are not very influential on the play. I mean, sure, it takes its toll and the guy is a truck, but, to me, it is not something that enhances his game tremendously. I'd love to see a "heat map" of Ovechkin. He seems to spend A LOT of time on the perimeter (which is not a criticism, he is a shooter and he gets open, that's his job). He does not seem to be a "dirty area" guy. Which, once again, is not a criticism; with his shot, he does not need to be. His biggest value is getting open and unleashing that shot.

I really fail to see how the NUMBER of hits is an enhancer. I feel like it is a failed attempt at picturing him as a complete player/power forward. He is a VERY powerful/strong player, but I never saw him as a pure power forward. Of the rush, he definitely overpowers defenders though, so I guess it is semantics. Anyway, we are discussing the best of the bests here, so I guess some weird differentiators need to be found.
What a terrible take. I mean not only do you have to not watch Ovechkin play to even say this but it's demonstrably not true whatsoever. Does every hit end up successful? No, has every hit been the right decision? Absolutely not but inferring the physicality of Ovechkin at both ends of the ice isn't a plus is just being a hater of the player, pure and simple.

There's myriad examples of why his hits matter but just watch the Hurricanes series from 2019 where Ovechkin had Dougie Hamiltion running scared and seeing his own shadow due to the hits he was laying on everyone. Where do people get this stuff from, my god?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad