Malkin is the real deal folks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

khy206

Nov 26, 2005
s7ark said:
I like Malkin and AO, but don't sell Crosby short. This kid is still much younger then the others. We have to see what Crosby does next year. Remember, Malkin and AO have been playing against men since they were 17. Crosby was playing with 16 year olds this time last year. And due to this level of play discrepancy, Russian prospects tend to become "NHL ready" faster then the NA ones.

I think what Crosby has done is incredible, and next year he'll be turning heads like AO and Malkin are doing this year, if not more. Some people sound like they are giving up on Crosby's superstar potential! Why? Because he is only on pace for a 39G 51A 90P rookie campain? That is insane!

Frankly, all three are generational talents and both the league and fans are starting to reap the benefits of some of the most high potential players the game has ever seen. I am hoping for another golden era of hockey with guys like Nash, Heatley, Kovalchuk, Staal, Crosby, Malkin, Vanek, Phaneuf, Lehtonen, Fleury, Spezza, etc. leading the way. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Agree.

thebodyczech

Dec 5, 2005
The_Eck said:
After watching games involving Team Russia and seeing how Malkin is not out of place at all and dominating at times in this allstar type of tournament, there is no question that this guy will be a superstar for many years in the NHL.

I've never fully appreciated his talents until now since I couldn't see him play in the RSL, but now I fully understand what russian fans were talking about. This guy elegant style of skating and reach reminds me a bit of Mario Lemieux and his hockey sense is outstanding. Not only that, he is very effective on the PK.

I really don't care if I get flamed for this but I believe this guy's potential is higher than that of Crosby's and dare I say it Ovechkin's as well.

Discuss.

He's, in essence, Ovechkin plus an excellent defensive game. That's what I saw, at least.

stockwizard*

thebodyczech said:
He's, in essence, Ovechkin plus an excellent defensive game. That's what I saw, at least.
What?
He will never score like Ovechkin.
And he certainly won't be near the player Crosby is.

The_Eck

Jan 5, 2006
Montreal
wealthmanager said:
What?

I know you're a huge crosby fan, but you seriously underrate Malkin's abilities.
Stop being a crosbyite.

stockwizard*

The_Eck said:
I know you're a huge crosby fan, but you seriously underrate Malkin's abilities.
Stop being a crosbyite.
I understand Malkin will be a great two way player, but just because I don't think he will score like Ovechkin, or be as good as Crosby doesn't mean I underrate his ability.

The_Eck

Jan 5, 2006
Montreal
wealthmanager said:
I understand Malkin will be a great two way player, but just because I don't think he will score like Ovechkin, or be as good as Crosby doesn't mean I underrate his ability.

He's been more dominant than AO has ever been in the RSL. Even Dave King, his coach, mentions how Malkin's upside may be higher than Ovechkin's.

stockwizard*

The_Eck said:
He's been more dominant than AO has ever been in the RSL. Even Dave King, his coach, mentions how Malkin's upside may be higher than Ovechkin's.
Lots of guys have been more dominant in the RSL than Ovechkin.

The_Eck

Jan 5, 2006
Montreal
wealthmanager said:

Not at the age of 19 years old. Many GMs and scouts were hesitant to pick AO as #1 overall instead of Malkin in 2004.

thebodyczech

Dec 5, 2005
wealthmanager said:

The Euro leagues are an indicator, but not an exact measure. Case in point: Kristian Huselius. That said, I think the reason we say that Malkin is the real deal is that he is now facing NHLers. Such was not the case "back in the USSR." Evgeni has faced NHLers, the elite of the elite, and succeeded in these olympics. He's registered points, played responsibly, and really, quite brilliantly. He's outshined Ovechkin, I could even make the argument. Mr. Malkin's defensive work is simply brilliant and well polished. His offensive skills? Those speak for themselves.

The_Eck

Jan 5, 2006
Montreal
thebodyczech said:
The Euro leagues are an indicator, but not an exact measure. Case in point: Kristian Huselius. That said, I think the reason we say that Malkin is the real deal is that he is now facing NHLers. Such was not the case "back in the USSR." Evgeni has faced NHLers, the elite of the elite, and succeeded in these olympics. He's registered points, played responsibly, and really, quite brilliantly. He's outshined Ovechkin, I could even make the argument. Mr. Malkin's defensive work is simply brilliant and well polished. His offensive skills? Those speak for themselves.

Agreed. ;)

stockwizard*

thebodyczech said:
He certainly didn't dominate the world juniors this year, although he played well.
He has played well in these Olympics, but I think the word "brilliant" is a bit of an overstatement.

Believe me, when I say I think he will be a top 5 player in the NHL.
Just not a Crosby's or Ovechkin's level.

Gags1288

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I agree, I absolutely love what I've seen from Malkin thus far, it's just a shame that he'll be a Pen for at least 7 seasons.

I don't see his upside quite as high as Ovechkin or Crosby for a few reasons. While Malkin is a very smooth skater, he isn't in the league of a Crosby or an Ovechkin. He'll be a better playmaker than Ovechkin, but he'll never be able finish like Alex. He'll also probably be a better defensive player than Alex (though Alex is no slouch), but he'll never be the physical force that Alex is. I just think Ovechkin is more explosive, I'd rather have him.

As for Crosby vs. Malkin, I'd have to go with Sid on this one. Sid is the better skater and the better finisher. Malkin has better size and is a better defensive player, but again Crosby is just more explosive because of his skating ability and because he's so shifty. Both are all world playmakers already at such young ages.

If I'm a young winger, i'm begging to get dealt to Pittsburgh. Whoever gets the pleasure of playing with Malkin or Crosby might just be able to ride their coattails to a hall of fame type career (assuming they have a decent amount of talent). Lucky Penguins.

The_Eck

Jan 5, 2006
Montreal
wealthmanager said:
He certainly didn't dominate the world juniors this year, although he played well.
He has played well in these Olympics, but I think the word "brilliant" is a bit of an overstatement.

Believe me, when I say I think he will be a top 5 player in the NHL.
Just not a Crosby's or Ovechkin's level.

Well you could say the same thing about Crosby in last year's juniors also, he wasn't even the best offensive player on that team during their run (carter was more productive).

We'll agree to disagree then.

stockwizard*

The_Eck said:
Well you could say the same thing about Crosby in last year's juniors also, he wasn't even the best offensive player on that team during their run (carter was more productive).

We'll agree to disagree then.
Crosby was 17 and last year's WJC, Malkin was 19 at this one.

Crosby also was not given a leading roll on the team and was put on the wing which is not his natural position.

Next year, if Crosby went back and played in the Junior, he would quite simply dominate.

jd84

Jan 28, 2006
I dont think it is fair to compare Crosby to Malkin since he isnt in the olympics to proove himself. Maybe when both are in the NHL there could be a case made. Now that I have said that Malkin is amazing. He is a two way player. The pens and caps are lucky to have such high calibre players.

The_Eck

Jan 5, 2006
Montreal
Til the End of Time said:
Then please provide some evidence to your claim that "many GMs and scouts were hesitant" to pick Ovechkin first.

You won't be able to, because it doesn't exist, aside from secondhand reports. Plus Conte.

bob mckenzie. 'Nuff said.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
wealthmanager said:
What?

I agree, he's nowhere near the level of Ovechkin and especially Crosby.

They've been equal so far, but Ovy's been saving his best for the elimination round.

And for Sid....I mean could you imagine if Crosby were playing? He'd be leading the tourney in points with 20. And, dare I say, Canada would be unbeaten. He'd whip that team into shape fast.

Go Sid and Ovy :yo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad