Malkin is out for the semifinal

Status
Not open for further replies.

phillypensfan

Aug 3, 2005
Didn't look like a kicking motion in the video,granted his skate did come up towards the end of it there,but it never made contact with Lecavalier and it was closer to his chest...nowhere near his face. Lecavalier also punched him and if the officials wouldn't have stepped in,things could've gotten out of hand.

phillypensfan

Aug 3, 2005
Muscle Bob said:
Game misconduct for that "kick" ? :dunno: *** :rant:
I think we should wait for the official information.

Who dont see kick look at Malkin's right leg, when referee comes to Lecavalier and Malkin, Lecavalier beats Malkin in face, Malkin kick him with leg

Malkin's leg never even makes contact with Lecavalier. It comes up,but does not make contact at all.

Malurous

Dec 14, 2005
Berkut said:
I heard a few days ago during one of the games I was watching, that there are no suspensions even if you get a match penalty. So I think Malkin will be playing.

Where did you get this information? Sounds weird, that would mean that a game misconduct and a match penalty are essentially the same thing?

Regarding the incident, I don't think Malkin was trying to kick Lecavalier, no way. It's not like he had good balance or anything, so it's obviously not intentional.

Gotta love Lecavalier's reaction though, and his late play overall, Canada might have had a chance if they had about a dozen more guys who cared at all about what happened in the games.

phillypensfan

Aug 3, 2005
Muscle Bob said:
Well, the question is "Will Malkin play against Finland?" not "Did Malkin kick Lecavalier", so, as I said, lets wait for the official information :)

As per NHL.com boxscore, that is when he was given the match penalty. Lecavalier also got 2 for roughing. His leg coming up like that was the reason he got tossed from the game,there was nothing else that could've been the reason for it.

Evgeni Malkin, Russia (match penalty)
Vincent Lecavalier, Canada (roughing)

Sonic Death Monkey

GAME PENALTY: 20 minute penalty, player gets thrown out of the game, but can play in the next one.

MATCH PENALTY: 25 minute penalty, player gets thrown out of the game, Referee HAS to report the incident to local administrating association. And the player is automaticly suspended for the next game (even in playoffs).

:dunno:

Breenger

Jul 17, 2003
St. Henri
Visit site
Muscle Bob said:

Who dont see kick look at Malkin's right leg, when referee comes to Lecavalier and Malkin, Lecavalier beats Malkin in face, Malkin kick him with leg

I don't know what you are looking at, but after watching it over a few times he oviously tried to kick him. It was in retaliation for Lecavlier punching him, but he tried to kick him in the face. You can't do that in hockey, since you can kill someone doing that. There is a reason that havlat was suspended for 5 games this season for doing less... it is a very dangerous thing to do. I don't buy aany of this "he tried to push him off with his leg... he was off balance... etc etc" He was balanced, and he brought up his knee and then snapped kicked Lecavlier, showing an intent to hit him with his foot. Not cool.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
franchise player said:
I think it was an unintentional kick to Vinny. He tried to get out of this position and his skate went towards Vinny's chest... That's it, imo.
I agree. If he made contact with him thats one thing, but in the middle of a scrum where he didn't even hit him.. I think its unfair.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I don't think he should be suspended. It was a messy situation but it looked more like a "get off me" thing than a "I'll kick your face in" thing.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
Muscle Bob said:

Yeah, game misconduct for that kick. Doesnt matter he did not connect. Kicking a player is just about the most dangerous, classless and disgusting thing a hockey player can do in a game.

Stop kissing his ***, admit he screwed up, accept whatever punishment he may get, and move on.

phillypensfan

Aug 3, 2005
Breenger said:
I don't know what you are looking at, but after watching it over a few times he oviously tried to kick him. It was in retaliation for Lecavlier punching him, but he tried to kick him in the face. You can't do that in hockey, since you can kill someone doing that. There is a reason that havlat was suspended for 5 games this season for doing less... it is a very dangerous thing to do. I don't buy aany of this "he tried to push him off with his leg... he was off balance... etc etc" He was balanced, and he brought up his knee and then snapped kicked Lecavlier, showing an intent to hit him with his foot. Not cool.

You obviously know that was Malkin's intent. :sarcasm:

His skate never made contact with Lecavalier...his skate was closer to his chest,nowhere near his face. If Malkin had the intent of kicking him in the face,then I'm sure he easily could have done it. And no,it wasn't a good idea to do that but it was him just reacting to the scrum.

BTW, It was actually a match penalty he got for that,not a game misconduct. No one is saying he didn't screw up,but to say that he actually made contact with Lecavalier, well if you actually watch the video then you see that no contact was made.

Even from that article that was posted about him being suspended it says kicking attempt.

MrAlfie

phillypensfan said:
You obviously know that was Malkin's intent. :sarcasm:

His skate never made contact with Lecavalier...his skate was closer to his chest,nowhere near his face. If Malkin had the intent of kicking him in the face,then I'm sure he easily could have done it. And no,it wasn't a good idea to do that but it was him just reacting to the scrum.

BTW, It was actually a match penalty he got for that,not a game misconduct. No one is saying he didn't screw up,but to say that he actually made contact with Lecavalier, well if you actually watch the video then you see that no contact was made.

sorry , but i dont think anyone said this...
all that has been said was that he tried to... and the attempt alone is a disgrace...

and no, i dont think he should let anyone whack on his face, but he couldve punched back, or get on his feet and go after him.. whatever.. but dont attempt to kick someone in the face when theres a razorsharp blade under your shoe...

and by the way... lecavalier got his 2 minute roughing penalty.. noones saying hes innocent.. it was in the heat of the moment.. just as malkins kicking attempt was but you have to plant it in your head that there are things on your boots that can do alot of harm... (malarchuk anyone?)

ladybugblue

May 5, 2004
Edmonton, AB
Kurtz said:
Yea, next time he's lying prone on the ice and someone is punching his face in, he shouldn't try to get them off of him, but rather let 'em whack away :shakehead

Stupid ruling by IHF.

You shouldn't kick NO matter what. Not a stupid rule...Havlat had to learn the hard (well maybe he hasn't fully learned yet :sarcasm: ) but anyway.

aceshigh81

Aug 14, 2004
Finland
At first, I didn´t noticed what happened. But later on I saw it on slow-motion and it seemed like a match penalty to me. Kicking is just one thing you should not do in any circuimstance, risks for a serious injury are just too high. It also makes u look stupid. I´m not saying that his intention was to injure, it must´ve been some kind impulsive reaction after the wrestle with Lecavalier. The kick seemed to sparkle up the emotions again, Lecavalier atleast was active and showed the kick-move to the refs.

He got a match penalty, which is automatic one game rest. Don´t think that can be changed easily.

Icekube

Feb 22, 2006
Richmond VA
It was a dumb move by Malkin, I guess he needs to learn this lesson. But in his defense there was no attempt to kick with the skate - you can see his knee is bent. Not sure if it makes a difference for the rules.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
Icekube said:
It was a dumb move by Malkin, I guess he needs to learn this lesson. But in his defense there was no attempt to kick with the skate - you can see his knee is bent. Not sure if it makes a difference for the rules.

The skate is attached to the foot. If you kick, the skate goes with it.

thebodyczech

Dec 5, 2005
gozar said:
Ruutu didn't play because the Czechs choose not to report him to the "what-ever-it's-called". So if it's the same here, Canada can report him and then "what-ever-it's-called" judge the situation.

You mean the UN? I hear sanctions are forthcoming.

Icekube

Feb 22, 2006
Richmond VA
Resolute said:
The skate is attached to the foot. If you kick, the skate goes with it.

Then the right word would be "knee", not "kick". That's what I was pointing out when I said that Malkin's knee was bent. I still think it was a stupid move by Malkin, but not malicious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad