Malkin in '06 WJC = Gretzky in '81 Canada Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

David

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Zine said:
If there's one way to get a Canadian to wig out, it's to mention someone's as good as Gretzky.

It's sacrilege I tell ya!!!! Sacrilege!!! :razz:

Or Bobby Orr!

It's sacrilege I tell ya!!!! Sacrilege!!! and in your case Joey Mullen? ...or would that be Jeremy Roenick? :razz:

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
Le Golie said:
Hall of Fame material right here ladies and gentlemen. Pathetic.

You all know it's true as much as it pains you to accept. The goaltending and D was so piss poor back then that his skill level just wouldn't translate to similar numbers in this new (albiet "high scoring" era.

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
Metallian said:
You all know it's true as much as it pains you to accept. The goaltending and D was so piss poor back then that his skill level just wouldn't translate to similar numbers in this new (albiet "high scoring" era.

There is a world of difference between :

a)Gretzky's points wouldn't translate to the new era

and

b)claiming that this somehow means that Malkin is somehow comparable to Gretzky.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
David said:
Or Bobby Orr!

It's sacrilege I tell ya!!!! Sacrilege!!! and in your case Joey Mullen? ...or would that be Jeremy Roenick? :razz:

Well, not quite......but nobody can talk smack like Roenick. NOBODY! :D

time

Feb 26, 2005
Metallian said:

Dude, take a breath, think about all that you've said. It hurts to have your team lose. I remember how I felt after the Yanks snuck one by us two years ago.

But this "Gretzky's not so good" or "Malkin = Gretzky" stuff? Why that's just crazy talk. Take a long bath -- dream about the Olympics (Ovechkin, Malkin, Kovachuk, Datsyuk, etc...). See, there's always another game.

That's why we shake hands at the end.

revolverjgw

Oct 6, 2003
Nova Scotia
Gretzky didn't have to skills to compete in todays NHL when the goalies didn't just fall over when a snap shot was taking from the hash marks.

Do you realize that Wayne played in the defensive era, where there was about 5.3-5.4 goals a game, and he was fourth in the league in scoring? When he was nearly 40? On a bad team?

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
David said:
That CAPITALIZED gimme a break was not intended for you. It was to the original poster and his title...as well as some of the others who are out to lunch with him.

Carry on. :thumbu:

So then why quote me?

Hell, I agree with most of what you said...

Just another 'Fear and Loathing' day at Hfboards.

Towmater14

Sep 17, 2005
OIL COUNTRY
revolverjgw said:
Do you realize that Wayne played in the defensive era, where there was about 5.3-5.4 goals a game, and he was fourth in the league in scoring? When he was nearly 40? On a bad team?
Thank you!!! :clap:.................. Any questions?

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Metallian said:

What about Gretzky's numbers in the mid-to-late 90s, as an old man no less? That's proof enough.

knight44

Jul 31, 2005
Toronto
Malkin didnt really dominate this tourny, after the round robyn he was tied with Kessel in points, not really dominating if you ask me

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
time said:
Dude, take a breath, think about all that you've said. It hurts to have your team lose. I remember how I felt after the Yanks snuck one by us two years ago.

But this "Gretzky's not so good" or "Malkin = Gretzky" stuff? Why that's just crazy talk. Take a long bath -- dream about the Olympics (Ovechkin, Malkin, Kovachuk, Datsyuk, etc...). See, there's always another game.

That's why we shake hands at the end.

I never once said Malkin would ever be as good as Gretzky. I doubt anyone ever will because Gretzkys numbers were a matter of absolute luck, his timing to enter the league was perfect.

and to the other who said he put up amazing numbers from the mid to late 90s....he put up Joe Sakic numbers in that period. If he was putting 120pt seasons up in the defensive era i'd be singing a different tune.

i still say that if you put a guy like rick nash or any modern day sniper back to the 80s when goalies would fall on their behinds at the sight of a puck, then they'd easily put up 90 goal seasons. early on in this very season simon gagne was on pace for a 90+ goal season so such numbers are not impossible, just not very likely as it requires more consistancy. his 120+pt seasons back then were good but look at the scoring chart right now, quite a few players are on pace for over 120pts and none of them are of the gretzky status.

and in regards to the 80s being a "defensive era", that still means nothing as gretzky was ahead of his time in terms of skill. if he was playing in this era he'd probably be up in the upper echelon of players, but not have any 200pt seasons or be breaking any goal scoring records.

in summar: gretzky's numbers were a matter of luck/fate, not an unmatched amount of skill

and to the guy who thinks i'm some disgrunted russian fan....what?? sure, i like the russians and I root for russia because i like more russian players than i do canadains, but it's not like i'm russian or anything. i'm from toronto and am just a fan of them, and that has no bearing on my views of gretzky. my favorite player is canadian (lemieux) and heck, i've rooted for team canada on plenty of occasions. just not this tournament. sheesh.

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
oil slick said:
b)claiming that this somehow means that Malkin is somehow comparable to Gretzky.

the only comparable is that if you took someone of Malkin's modern day training and ability and put him back in Wayne's era, then Malkin would put up similar "untouchable" numbers

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Metallian said:
the only comparable is that if you took someone of Malkin's modern day training and ability and put him back in Wayne's era, then Malkin would put up similar "untouchable" numbers

We get it. You all in Russia love Malkin, I love the kid too. But these over the top assertions that you are all making only seve to diminish any reasonable praise of a guy that I for one am pretty excited about hopefully seeing in person next year. And it certainly invites him to be 'Crosby'd' when he arrives here. Keep it real and you will have most here agreeing with you. But most of what has been going on here has been so far over the top it makes the brain numb.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Metallian said:
i still say that if you put a guy like rick nash or any modern day sniper back to the 80s when goalies would fall on their behinds at the sight of a puck, then they'd easily put up 90 goal seasons.

This is incredibly simplistic, IMO.

Have Rick Nash grow up in the 70's instead of the 90's, give him the skate and stick technology that was around in the 80's, and he *might* score 50-60.

There's myriad variables when it comes to comparing sports stars from different eras. This isn't a video game.

flambers

Jun 4, 2005
VanIslander said:
Each dominated the tourney until the Canadian-Russian final, then each was SHUTDOWN in that game.

1981 Canada Cup for Gretzky.
2006 World Junior Championships for Malkin.

An interesting parallel that undermines any attempt to say Malkin's lack of production is an indication of his talent or future success.

Not even close, I do not believe Malkin even "dominated" the tournment.

espo*

1980 or 2005,Malkin can't carry Gretzky's jockstrap.

Friggin guy is a kid for God's sake and now he's better then Wayne?

This board slays me.the foolishness around here sometimes.

Bloggins

Dec 1, 2005
We're really making this a fantasy thread now eh.
Malkin has done nothing to substantiate a comparison to Gretzky. :shakehead

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
Digger12 said:

Have Rick Nash grow up in the 70's instead of the 90's, give him the skate and stick technology that was around in the 80's, and he *might* score 50-60.

There's myriad variables when it comes to comparing sports stars from different eras. This isn't a video game.

my assertion is that if gretzky grew up in this era, with all we have now, he would be top of the league good, kovalchuk/jagr/foppa good....but not legendary

that aside, i havn't slept in something like 48 hours and havn't eaten anything in 24....so maybe i'm not making my point as clear as i couold

Bloggins

Dec 1, 2005
Metallian said:
my assertion is that if gretzky grew up in this era, with all we have now, he would be top of the league good, kovalchuk/jagr/foppa good....but not legendary

that aside, i havn't slept in something like 48 hours and havn't eaten anything in 24....so maybe i'm not making my point as clear as i couold

How in the world can you even theorize about something like that? :biglaugh:

Not as clear as you could? You're coming off like a complete idiot :biglaugh:

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Digger12 said:

You'd also have to throw out modern training, nutrition, etc.
If you do that, though, it gets to be too hypothetical. It's really not the Rick Nash we know.
Nash would rip apart the competition of the '80s, but, as you said, it's not a good way to compare stars from different eras.

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
Digger12 said:

then fine, malkin will be as good as gretzky in terms of skill. kovalchuk, jagr, heatley, crosby, ovechkin, etc. are all about as good as him too

the only thing separating these players from him is his fortunate timing

other than that, theres no comparison. malkin wont be the next gretzky, i'm not the one who originally stated it in this thread anyway. blahblah blah who cares

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
Pathfinder said:
How in the world can you even theorize about somthing like that? :biglaugh:

Not as clear as you could? You're coming off like a complete idiot :biglaugh:

that's because there's only so much skill a player can have. there's no way gretzky could have been able to have some superhuman ability to get 5pts a night these days. the man was ahead of his time and that's all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad