Malkin High Sticking Match Penalty (Suspended for One Game)

Dangles78

Oct 14, 2012
Pittsburgh
Classy. Punch back, don’t swing a stick.

Agreed. Ya, Raffl’s punch of the back of the head probably didn’t feel great, but the fact geno got that rattled and did that is embarrassing. I’d say 1-2 games based on intent but the nhl doesn’t suspend based on intent but instead damage done and it barely hit Raffl sooo who knows.

Reactions: FlyerFaithful17

illpucks

May 26, 2011
I see 1 game. No injury but players are responsible for their stick and this is a big safety issue. He missed but that is inches away from this

Longest Suspension in history of game. Meaning NHL takes stick things very very seriously. Malkin will be suspended.

Reactions: LatvianTwist

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
ya the more i think of this, i think the fact that it didn't connect is gonna result in probably 1 game suspension.

zerogoose

Dec 29, 2018
Dumb move by Raffl punching him in the back of the head, dumber move by Malkin swinging his stick wildly in frustration. That said, it barely grazed Raffl and he should have gotten embellishment. 5 and a game for Malkin is suitable. If he had actually hit his head then it'd be suspension and fine worthy.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Not a single person is ignoring that. But it has absolutely nothing to do with the play. So if a person punches you in the back of the head you are allowed to take a baseball bat swing to their head. I guess the Brashear suspension was too rough then.
That's a bit of an exaggeration it wasn't a two hand baseball swing . Maybe he will get suspended a game for not controlling his stick / having it head level , but if malkin really wanted to use his stick as a weapon/hurt him the result would have been worse for raffl

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Not a single person is ignoring that. But it has absolutely nothing to do with the play. So if a person punches you in the back of the head you are allowed to take a baseball bat swing to their head. I guess the Brashear suspension was too rough then.
Plenty of people are, actually.

Without getting into a legal debate, a punch to the head is definitely not something to just brush off and ignore. People have gotten off via self-defense where they’ve been punched or hit in the head and used a weapon (sometimes lethally) in retaliation.

But that’s real life, it’s not hockey.

The punch to the head absolutely is a part of this play - it’s what seems to drive Malkin to take that action. It adds context. If Malkin just came over out of nowhere and swung his stick at Raffl’s head, that’s a lot different than getting punched in the head and letting your stick swing while pushing him away.

Hellraising Senator

Feb 15, 2017
You can tell by the stick vibrating motion with the follow through it made contact. That needs to be suspendable. That is intent to injure. No way to defend that. Sure raffl hit him, that happens every game especially by Malkin who does cheap stuff almost every game

Reactions: Sam Spade

Princevegeta90

Apr 22, 2018
A few thoughts. Refs let shit get to a boiling point when Raffl got away with molesting Malkin. Wasn't just one infraction or just the punch. Swinging your stick after getting punched in the head is probably a gut reaction. Raffl with a big sell job. That being said Malkin needs to absolutely control himself in that scenario. Embarrassing really. Especially given his persona of being a hot head. I'd say a few game suspension is warranted. However knowing that he is a superstar and it didn't really injure he will probably only get a game or two. The whole only getting suspended on injury and not intent is ridiculous. I'm a pens fan, I love Malkin. Give him a decent suspension so he doesn't do that shit again.

Reactions: PensandCaps

end

Mar 18, 2007
Arklay Mansion
Awful play by Malkin. That's beyond 70s garbage, that's 50s garbage. Give him a game or as many as they will.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
You can tell by the stick vibrating motion with the follow through it made contact. That needs to be suspendable. That is intent to injure. No way to defend that. Sure raffl hit him, that happens every game especially by Malkin who does cheap stuff almost every game

Grazes his shoulder. Luckily it wasn't the face.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Next time there is a scrum after the whistle and a player gets punched, it seems he should be allowed to swing his stick at will. After all, he did get punched

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Give Raffl a game for punching a dude in the back of the head. Give Malkin 4 or 5 for a stupid reckless play that coulda resulted in a McSorely situation.

It's amazing to me how soft DoPS penalties are- it's an 82 game season. Concussions are real. Just because Malkin failed doesn't make it ok. Get that shit out of the game, otherwise it'll keep happening.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->