Proposal: Malkin for PLD

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
He's the definition of a mercurial player. The anti-Crosby superstar center, for better and worse.

The rumours of Malkin's demise have been greatly exaggerated, yet they manage to pop up every year.

They will eventually be true. And he's at that age.

We shall see. Sometimes age, inability to adapt your game and like a bajillion injuries/surgeries just make that wall rush up on ya a hell of a lot faster than expected.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens are not trading anyone of note this year. I do think if the team fails to either make the playoffs or is a one and done then Sully, GMJR will be gone and a new management team will start the process. Letang will be the first to go and then some parts like a Rust and Zucker to fetch prospects and picks.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
They will eventually be true. And he's at that age.

We shall see. Sometimes age, inability to adapt your game and like a bajillion injuries/surgeries just make that wall rush up on ya a hell of a lot faster than expected.

One day. But 2 games in where Tanev is our leading scorer and Jankowski has been our best center probably isn't a reliable sample size weighed against his body of work and performance last year.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
No. Geno is untouchable on sentimental value alone.

He only leaves if he asks.
upload_2021-1-16_17-28-33.gif

Sully is doing a great job making it easier to leave.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I mean, f*** sentimental value. I'm a Penguins fan, not an X player or Y player fan. I'd rather Sid, Geno and Letang stuck around and helped this team turn a new corner before handing off the baton to the new generation of guys, but that's not realistic. You either look to trade these guys and see what you can get to help rebuild and aim at competing again in 3-5 years, likely giving them a chance at one last Cup somewhere else, or you accept that you'd rather watch the last seasons of their careers mired in the swamp of mediocrity--at best--and put the inevitably painful rebuild on layaway.

I don't think Sid will ever leave. He is the Pittsburgh Penguins now, and no owner or GM would ever ask him to waive, nor would he accept it. His idol is Yzerman, a one team guy, and that was a big thing for him.

Geno's always been about winning, he said as much in interviews. If he doesn't think this team can compete anymore, and who could blame him, I have zero doubt he'd entertain a trade somewhere else for a better shot at one final Cup before he rides off into the sunset. Dude's always first to the guillotine every off-season, regardless of his performance, and the guy every media personality/reporter wants traded. Can't imagine that's fun to read or hear about constantly. He's said, verbatim, that he had a chance to chase more money elsewhere and be a new team's main piece that they build around, but he stuck around to play second fiddle to Sid because he knew it was his best shot at winning. If this team continues the trend it's been on for years, I don't think it's unrealistic that Geno has second thoughts about re-signing here, or asking for a trade before his deal is up. He knows time's ticking, and between age and constant injury, he only has so many chances left to be the only Russian to ever win four Cups. I genuinely don't think that's gonna happen here, and I think we all know that deep down.

Letang's an odd case. Super prideful, won't admit he's gotta change his game and take less minutes to maintain his effectiveness. He, like Geno, has a little kid and I'm sure he'd seriously think about hanging 'em up to spend more time with his family. Both these guys have battled serious injury for years, and as they age, that's not gonna get any easier.

I think it's a toss up as to who we'd miss more, Geno or Letang. Geno was still an elite player last year, but beyond Letang, this blueline is absolutely laughable in terms of transition and offensive punch. Marino's got the potential to take over Letang's defensive duties some day, but nobody can hold a candle to what Letang means to this team's ability to produce offense from the blueline--direct production or simply getting the play going the other way with his skating.

I still don't think anyone significant will be dealt in-season. I'd be absolutely shocked. Seems like GMs and owners around the league are going to take a very conservative approach to the deadline and that sort of thing, and with JR specifically, I'd imagine ownership would put the kibosh on any potential significant deal. They'll wait and see how things play out and if/when we miss the playoffs entirely or we're out in the 1st round again, everyone will be replaced and it'll be up to the new GM/coach to decide what avenue to take.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I love Geno but this is a rare deal I’d say yes to. Doubt it happens, but Torts was pretty vocal about him wanting out. If that’s really the case, maybe this is something they’d entertain if we added a plus of prospect or younger player.

Disclaimer: I fully recognize Malkin ain’t going anywhere unless he okays it.

Reactions: Dominance

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I think the result would be very bad but then again... the results since 2018 have been very bad. So...? Can we try a new coach first?

Nah. Trade all our best players, then when things still don't change, realize we probably should have just canned Sullivan prior to going nuclear. Sounds like the better path to take. ;)

Reactions: ColePens

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I mean, f*** sentimental value. I'm a Penguins fan, not an X player or Y player fan. I'd rather Sid, Geno and Letang stuck around and helped this team turn a new corner before handing off the baton to the new generation of guys, but that's not realistic. You either look to trade these guys and see what you can get to help rebuild and aim at competing again in 3-5 years, likely giving them a chance at one last Cup somewhere else, or you accept that you'd rather watch the last seasons of their careers mired in the swamp of mediocrity--at best--and put the inevitably painful rebuild on layaway.

I don't think Sid will ever leave. He is the Pittsburgh Penguins now, and no owner or GM would ever ask him to waive, nor would he accept it. His idol is Yzerman, a one team guy, and that was a big thing for him.

Geno's always been about winning, he said as much in interviews. If he doesn't think this team can compete anymore, and who could blame him, I have zero doubt he'd entertain a trade somewhere else for a better shot at one final Cup before he rides off into the sunset. Dude's always first to the guillotine every off-season, regardless of his performance, and the guy every media personality/reporter wants traded. Can't imagine that's fun to read or hear about constantly. He's said, verbatim, that he had a chance to chase more money elsewhere and be a new team's main piece that they build around, but he stuck around to play second fiddle to Sid because he knew it was his best shot at winning. If this team continues the trend it's been on for years, I don't think it's unrealistic that Geno has second thoughts about re-signing here, or asking for a trade before his deal is up. He knows time's ticking, and between age and constant injury, he only has so many chances left to be the only Russian to ever win four Cups. I genuinely don't think that's gonna happen here, and I think we all know that deep down.

Letang's an odd case. Super prideful, won't admit he's gotta change his game and take less minutes to maintain his effectiveness. He, like Geno, has a little kid and I'm sure he'd seriously think about hanging 'em up to spend more time with his family. Both these guys have battled serious injury for years, and as they age, that's not gonna get any easier.

I think it's a toss up as to who we'd miss more, Geno or Letang. Geno was still an elite player last year, but beyond Letang, this blueline is absolutely laughable in terms of transition and offensive punch. Marino's got the potential to take over Letang's defensive duties some day, but nobody can hold a candle to what Letang means to this team's ability to produce offense from the blueline--direct production or simply getting the play going the other way with his skating.

I still don't think anyone significant will be dealt in-season. I'd be absolutely shocked. Seems like GMs and owners around the league are going to take a very conservative approach to the deadline and that sort of thing, and with JR specifically, I'd imagine ownership would put the kibosh on any potential significant deal. They'll wait and see how things play out and if/when we miss the playoffs entirely or we're out in the 1st round again, everyone will be replaced and it'll be up to the new GM/coach to decide what avenue to take.

This is why you will continue to be a sad, angry fan.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I love Geno but this is a rare deal I’d say yes to. Doubt it happens, but Torts was pretty vocal about him wanting out. If that’s really the case, maybe this is something they’d entertain if we added a plus of prospect or younger player.

Disclaimer: I fully recognize Malkin ain’t going anywhere unless he okays it.

Geno playing for Torts would be awkward given Torts' comments about the Pens' stars in the past.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
No chance of it happening, but otherwise it´s a pretty easy YES to me. I am a Penguins fan, I don´t care about sentiments or players. If it makes Pittsburgh stronger, then do it. However, 0% chance here really. I have very big doubts about Malkin as a player going forward tho, that´s for sure. He was a ghost vs MTL, ghost now vs PHI and I expect him to be a ghost again when we play some huge games. Sadly.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I don’t see this going well for me, but what the hell.

For anyone keeping an eye on the situation in Columbus, it is increasingly clear that PLD wants out. Recent comments by Tortorella (to no one’s surprise) have pushed the issue into one where I feel a trade is relatively imminent. It has been reported that CBJ was targeting Suzuki or Romanov from Montreal, which suggests they value youth, but looking at their team I do not think that is a necessity. They do not really have any young rising star, while Jones and Werenski are in their primes right now.

On our side, Malkin has looked bad the first two games, and has just a couple more years on his contract. Our team desperately needs to play faster and harder, and 71 is not that right now and may never be again. But he’s still a superstar - or at least considered as one around the league, for now.

I propose trading Malkin, and even a first round pick if that moves the needle, for PLD. I do not think we downgrade to any meaningful extent right now, and we greatly extend our window. Guentzel, Dubois, Marino, and Jarry is our core moving forwards for the next decade, strengthened into a very serious contender by Crosby, Zucker, Rust, Kapanen, Letang, and Dumoulin for the next few years.

If Columbus does not accept it, and manages to find a younger piece, then no skin off our backs. But we should put Malkin on the table. If they cannot get a Suzuki - which I think is likely - they may very well try to go for it with Malkin, Jones, and Werenski.

Just an idea. Unlikely to happen given Malkin’s NMC.
giphy.gif

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
No chance of it happening, but otherwise it´s a pretty easy YES to me. I am a Penguins fan, I don´t care about sentiments or players. If it makes Pittsburgh stronger, then do it. However, 0% chance here really. I have very big doubts about Malkin as a player going forward tho, that´s for sure. He was a ghost vs MTL, ghost now vs PHI and I expect him to be a ghost again when we play some huge games. Sadly.
I might consider it if we got PLD and the Jenner of Boone's.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
The funny thing is Torts has found ways to adjust and adapt. Oddly his protégé hasn't been able to the last 3+
I can't stand Sully and think he should've been fired a long time ago, but I'm not sure this is true. He's unwilling to adjust and adapt. I think the difference there is important. An inability to do the things needed in order to put his team in a position to win is one thing when it comes to coaching. The arrogant, spitefully stubborn unwillingness to do so is worse. That's Sullivan.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I can't stand Sully and think he should've been fired a long time ago, but I'm not sure this is true. He's unwilling to adjust and adapt. I think the difference there is important. An inability to do the things needed in order to put his team in a position to win is one thing when it comes to coaching. The arrogant, spitefully stubborn unwillingness to do so is worse. That's Sullivan.
Blokes like Torts in today's climate of if you don't adapt you're done (see: Bylsma), he's also been accused of being brash and you'd think there was a Peters or Babs type story about him or he'd be gone after bouncing from Tampa, NY, Vancouver and now CBJ, but he hasn't.

Sullivan's on the cusp of being fired soon, let's see how it plays out for his next job.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Blokes like Torts in today's climate of if you don't adapt you're done (see: Bylsma), he's also been accused of being brash and you'd think there was a Peters or Babs type story about him or he'd be gone after bouncing from Tampa, NY, Vancouver and now CBJ, but he hasn't.

Sullivan's on the cusp of being fired soon, let's see how it plays out for his next job.
Ironically enough, I think Phil and Sully are a lot alike. Extremely difficult to work with, extremely stubborn--to a spiteful degree. And once they've worn out their welcome, you need to discard them asap because there's no turning back. I guess that's true for all coaches, but I just thought it was fitting to point out the player and coach that hated each other's guts with a passion are essentially dealing with the same sort of faults as one another.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Appreciate the conversation, everyone. I fully recognize the unlikelihood of my proposal. My point was more that if Dubois wanted out and if Columbus could not find a young 1C and if Malkin was willing to waive his NMC, that is a deal we should make.

Seriously, f*** sentimental value. He has his NMC. If any trade did happen, it would be with Malkin’s consent. Holding onto stars for no reason but blind loyalty is how you become the Red Wings. Playoff contention could still be 3+ years away for that team. There’s an argument for prestigious veteran presence to guide the next wave, but we have Crosby for that until he’s 38+. If we can make real upgrades to the team for the near future, we should. That’s my view, at least.

I get that that rubs most fans the wrong way, though.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Ironically enough, I think Phil and Sully are a lot alike. Extremely difficult to work with, extremely stubborn--to a spiteful degree. And once they've worn out their welcome, you need to discard them asap because there's no turning back. I guess that's true for all coaches, but I just thought it was fitting to point out the player and coach that hated each other's guts with a passion are essentially dealing with the same sort of faults as one another.
I'm pretty sure Geno also isn't a fan of Sullivan's but has to peace it out to the media he's cool with Sully because Geno isn't the type to say f*** you trade me. The fact that he even had the stuff boil over was nuts, Sullivan clearly exacerbated that.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad