Proposal: Malkin for PLD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I don’t see this going well for me, but what the hell.

For anyone keeping an eye on the situation in Columbus, it is increasingly clear that PLD wants out. Recent comments by Tortorella (to no one’s surprise) have pushed the issue into one where I feel a trade is relatively imminent. It has been reported that CBJ was targeting Suzuki or Romanov from Montreal, which suggests they value youth, but looking at their team I do not think that is a necessity. They do not really have any young rising star, while Jones and Werenski are in their primes right now.

On our side, Malkin has looked bad the first two games, and has just a couple more years on his contract. Our team desperately needs to play faster and harder, and 71 is not that right now and may never be again. But he’s still a superstar - or at least considered as one around the league, for now.

I propose trading Malkin, and even a first round pick if that moves the needle, for PLD. I do not think we downgrade to any meaningful extent right now, and we greatly extend our window. Guentzel, Dubois, Marino, and Jarry is our core moving forwards for the next decade, strengthened into a very serious contender by Crosby, Zucker, Rust, Kapanen, Letang, and Dumoulin for the next few years.

If Columbus does not accept it, and manages to find a younger piece, then no skin off our backs. But we should put Malkin on the table. If they cannot get a Suzuki - which I think is likely - they may very well try to go for it with Malkin, Jones, and Werenski.

Just an idea. Unlikely to happen given Malkin’s NMC.

Last edited:
Reactions: DatGuy

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I don’t see this going well for me, but what the hell.

For anyone keeping an eye on the situation in Columbus, it is increasingly clear that PLD wants out. Recent comments by Tortorella (to no one’s surprise) have pushed the issue into one where I feel a trade is relatively imminent. It has been reported that CBJ was targeting Suzuki or Romanov from Montreal, which suggests they value youth, but looking at their team I do not think that is a necessity. They do not really have any young rising star, while Jones and Werenski are in their primes right now.

On our side, Malkin has looked bad the first two games, and has just a couple more years on his contract. Our team desperately needs to play faster and harder, and 71 is not that right now and may never be again. But he’s still a superstar - or at least considered as one around the league, for now.

I propose trading Malkin, and even a first round pick if that moves the needle, for PLD. I do not think we downgrade to any meaningful extent right now, and we greatly extend our window. Guentzel, Dubois, Marino, and Jarry is our core moving forwards for the next decade, strengthened into a very serious contender by Crosby, Zucker, Rust, Kapanen, Letang, and Dumoulin for the next few years.

If Columbus does not accept it, and manages to find a younger piece, then no skin off our backs. But we should put Malkin on the table. If they cannot get a Suzuki - which I think is likely - they may very well try to go for it with Malkin, Jones, and Werenski.

tenor.gif

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I mean... Is that all Geno can bring back?

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
A 22-year-old 1C for a 34-year-old 1C? That’s a dream return for Malkin. The only reason why it’s a possibility for us is that PLD wants out and Columbus might struggle to get a better offer right now.

Why did he sign a two year extension like 3 weeks ago?

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
Because he was an RFA wanting to play hockey and make money somewhere? :dunno:

Not like they were really going to tell him to sit on the couch without a contract.

If he wants to be on a bigger stage doing bigger things than CBJ, don't you PIT is just six of one half dozen of another? Are the pens really setup for more success than the jackets??

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
A 22-year-old 1C for a 34-year-old 1C? That’s a dream return for Malkin. The only reason why it’s a possibility for us is that PLD wants out and Columbus might struggle to get a better offer right now.

you answered your own question: anyone thinking we’re getting a return of a young NHL ready 1C or 2C for Geno is delusional...we’re not going to get an as good or better replacement for him who’s ready to play in the NHL...I mean CLB was apparently asking for Suzuki from MTL...they’d probably want Marino+....Geno is my favorite player and I’d still trade him for Dubois but it ain’t happening....no GM (except JR) is that dumb lol

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
you answered your own question: anyone thinking we’re getting a return of a young NHL ready 1C or 2C for Geno is delusional...we’re not going to get an as good or better replacement for him who’s ready to play in the NHL...I mean CLB was apparently asking for Suzuki from MTL...they’d probably want Marino+....Geno is my favorite player and I’d still trade him for Dubois but it ain’t happening....no GM (except JR) is that dumb lol
Agreed. That is why my proposal is contingent on Dubois wanting out, Columbus being unable to secure a Suzuki-level player from another team, and subsequently accepting Malkin + 1st from us. They need a 1C, nothing else. Definitely not Marino.

Reactions: Deas

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Not like they were really going to tell him to sit on the couch without a contract.

If he wants to be on a bigger stage doing bigger things than CBJ, don't you PIT is just six of one half dozen of another? Are the pens really setup for more success than the jackets??
Who mentioned anything about a bigger stage? Reports indicate he just wants out, and probably because he understandably can’t stand Torts.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Agreed. That is why my proposal is contingent on Dubois wanting out, Columbus being unable to secure a Suzuki-level player from another team, and subsequently accepting Malkin + 1st from us.

he does want out but he has a two year contract w CLB now...they’re not forced to trade him atm for pennies on the $...they’ll want someone in his prime back...also,Geno has a NMC...good luck convincing him CLB is the place where he’s going to win his fourth Cup...

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
he does want out but he has a two year contract w CLB now...they’re not forced to trade him atm for pennies on the $...they’ll want someone in his prime back...also,Geno has a NMC...good luck convincing him CLB is the place where he’s going to win his fourth Cup...
Want, and able to get, are two very different things. That CBJ team needs a 1C if Dubois goes. Not a winger, not a defenseman, not a 2C. Just a true first-line center. There’s not many of those to go around.

I acknowledge that Malkin’s NMC is a major stumbling block.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
So... the "move a big piece of the core" mentality was already tested and went bad. The team mentally didn't take losing Bylsma well... which was f***ing mind-numbing. The MAF stuff didn't go well. I always thought what would happen if a big shocking move occurred. Would the Pens be able to take it and move forward? I think the risk vs. reward is very high. I think it COULD offer a lot of backlash. I also don't know if it gives you the results you want.

I think the result would be very bad but then again... the results since 2018 have been very bad. So...? Can we try a new coach first?

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
unless he says he wants traded, don't trade Malkin. If the dude wants to retire here he has earned it.

i love him dearly and he’s earned the right to retire here but I just wish he didn’t retire during the games....after he’s played all the games, by all means retire...:)

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I don't think there's any chance in hell the Jackets would trade PLD to Pittsburgh. Their fans would revolt.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
There are two answers: Yes and no.

If from a dehumanized, personalized, paper roster, logistical, strategic standpoint...yes.

But the real answer is no. Why? Because sometimes there are more important things to a franchise. We view these guys as players...stats...contracts on paper...but they are not. They are real people who have real relationships with each other inside the org. Sometimes we forget this because we don't see them every day in that light.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
This deal, if CBJ were dumb enough to offer it and Malkin would waive his NMC, is an easy yes for the Penguins.

Geno has max 3 or 4 good years left. Dubois has 13 or 14 good years left.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad