Proposal: Malkin and Schultz for Subban and ???

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
I disagree, with the way our season went pretty much anybody should be on the table.

Forsberg+ would be a great set up in a Malkin deal. I don't know if we necessarily want to be getting older though.
This thread is absurd and I can’t believe it hasn’t been locked yet.

Having said that, if Malkin goes to NSH then Forsberg is absolutely the starting point so at least you are smart haha

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I wouldn't take Turris for free at 6 mil.

Turris seems to be the issue. What would the Pens consider as a replacement? Lets be fair to the Preds and not say RyJo. If Turris is replaced with Smith and Tolvanen, does it make it more attractive? Not sure what would be fair to the Pens that the Preds can offer over Turris. What about Arvidson instead of Turris?

Reactions: Trade

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Never understood why people say “Lock this thread” ?
Just leave and go to another thread. Who are you to take the debate away? It’s not hurting you.

Agreed. Culture. They seen someone say it before and they feel the need to say it themselves.

If you don't like it, don't fuel it. That is just dumb. Move on and comment on other threads

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
We don't need Subban when we already have Letang. An extended Josi would make more sense, but I doubt Preds fans want to start that conversation.

Either way, if the Pens are moving a F for a D, it's not going to be Malkin.

Letang and Subban on the RD side would be deadly. Roll your top 4D and you still have a potent PP where you can play both of them. Not saying you should for sure trade Malkin (he does have NMC) but saying no to Subban cause you have Letang is bizarre.

Lets see how the Pens rebound and if they don't make any changes. Kessel might be traded but you will have a hard time getting Subban type value on D with Kessel.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
If this were to be a realistic conversation, it would need to start with Josi (with an extension agreed upon) and add pieces from there. Or Ellis and add even more. So I think this is where Preds fans say "I'm out"

Pens cant take on Subban's cap hit without a metric ton of D being shipped out before hand. Unless Nashville is taking back MFJJ or Gudbranson as part of the deal, which, again, I dont see happening.

If you want a solo offensive threat that can drive his own line, a deal for Kessel would be much more realistic and cost Nashville alot less.

Reactions: Trade

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
The Preds don't have the pieces to (reasonably) trade for Geno

In a video game scenario? No, they probably don't.

But, let's be honest about one thing: This would NOT be a video game scenario. Malkin has a full NTC. If he asks out OR the Pens ask him to waive, then he's going to give them a very limited list of teams where he MIGHT consider accepting a trade. And, the Pens are going to have to trade him as a practical matter. Technically, yes, they wouldn't have to take a deal even if he was willing to waive, but if it got to that point AND Malkin gave them a list, then as a practical matter, it's a divorce you can't go back on.

I'm not saying even then there's something that could work with Nashville . . . just that Malkin's NTC will affect his value.

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
Turris seems to be the issue. What would the Pens consider as a replacement? Lets be fair to the Preds and not say RyJo. If Turris is replaced with Smith and Tolvanen, does it make it more attractive? Not sure what would be fair to the Pens that the Preds can offer over Turris. What about Arvidson instead of Turris?
To put it blunt, Malkin is not getting traded. He's happy in Pitt and he's stated he wants to be in Pittsburgh or back in Russia. We're happy to have him as long as he wants to be here.

Subban would be great in theory, but his Cap makes it not a realistic option.

Now if we're talking Phil the Thrill, there are plenty of conversations to be had.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
To put it blunt, Malkin is not getting traded. He's happy in Pitt and he's stated he wants to be in Pittsburgh or back in Russia. We're happy to have him as long as he wants to be here.

Now if we're talking Phil the Thrill, there are plenty of conversations to be had.

I got my answer with my curiosity. Pens prefer not to trade Malkin and I get that. Very curious to see what both the Preds and Pens do moving forward. Stay put or make moves.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Or perhaps not, if this idiot is to be believed (which he probably shouldn't be) . . .

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Why? Cause Subban sucks?

Yes, end of conversation.

I think they do but I doubt they would give up what it takes.

RyJo+Forsberg for Malkin+

Id consider that.

RyJo - see Subban comment.
Forsberg is good, but he's not Kessel good.
The mere fact that you listed these two players for Malkin with a + attached to him, just renders your offer void.

Realistically as stated by others, if Pit/Nash were to do a Malkin trade it would start with Josi, include Tolvanen and probably Sissons, plus a draft pick from the Preds for Malkin.

Apr 9, 2009
USA

No

The fact that Turris is even in the discussion in a Malkin thread shows how truly far off a deal is. And if Johansen isn't on the table, you're wasting everyone's time.

Gonna cost a lot to get a superstar the franchise doesn't want to trade. Overpayment that would make the Pens obviously better is what it would take.

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
Or perhaps not, if this idiot is to be believed (which he probably shouldn't be) . . .

Well there's no better way to end the Sid/Geno era than to ship Geno away for some *pushback*

I'd imagine this is clickbait BS

Reactions: Extra Texture

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Well there's no better way to end the Sid/Geno era than to ship Geno away for some *pushback*

I'm sure it's clickbait, but the local Penguins media usually doesn't throw it out there without it coming from someone. I'm assuming a friend of Sullivan like Guerin or Recchi.

Anyway, we'll know soon enough what's to it. If there's no immediate pushback and someone else repeats it, then there may be more than just smoke there.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town

Yup, very likely clickbait, which makes sense because moments of crisis are

It may yet by a crazy summer, like Mackey says, but there are many other ways to "get crazy", like trade Letang or Phil, retool the entire D corps, move on from longtime players like PH or Maatta, or trade valuable young guys to try and replace their production with UFAs.

But of all the many options to fix the team, "Trade Geno" is basically at the very end, right next to "Trade Sid" and "Trade Jake". If our GM is so unimaginative that he cant solve a mess (that he helped created) without shipping one of the pillars of the team out of town, then its time for management to reel him in and giving him him marching papers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->