Malkin 1st overall in 03...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
interesting question.

I'd be Malkin'd have gone in the top 5. A guy with his upside would be very hard for most teams to pass up, but I don't know if he'd have been 1 or 2.

Olescz is a lot harder to gauge. I'm not sure where he'll end up this year... It's more difficult to place him till everyone finds out who wants who.

pittengineer

Jan 1, 2004
If malkin were in last year, florida prob would not have traded the 1st overall and selected him.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I think Malkin would've been top 5, no doubt. Honestly, I could've seen him go at #1.
Olesz, I think he'd be fringe top 10 at best. I'm not even sure if Olesz will go top 5 this year.

Fluery, Staal, Horton, Zherdev -- that puts him battling with Vanek, Michalek, Suter, Coburn, etc. I would've picked any of those guys over Olesz.

WOTR

Jul 26, 2003
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe said:
I think Malkin would've been top 5, no doubt. Honestly, I could've seen him go at #1.
Olesz, I think he'd be fringe top 10 at best. I'm not even sure if Olesz will go top 5 this year.

Fluery, Staal, Horton, Zherdev -- that puts him battling with Vanek, Michalek, Suter, Coburn, etc. I would've picked any of those guys over Olesz.

Not trying to attack you, just curious, have you seen a lot of Olesz play? What don't you like in his game? He seems to have scored fairly well in the Cezch elite league on the third line while playing defensively. Those are of course just stats, but unless the Cezch league is a much lower level than Russia than his numbers aren't much worse than Ovechkin. Not comparing them because there are more than stats to look at, but I haven't watched him play and am curious why so many are down on him.

Blue Bullet

Feb 27, 2002
Bon Accord, AB
Visit site
For me Malkin would go 1st ahead of Stall who I had ranked 1st. Olesz is better than Michalek or Vanek, in my opinion, so he would have went 5th after Stall, Fleury, Horton and Zherdev.

Rowsdower

Jan 13, 2003
Arizona Bay
Visit site
pittengineer said:
If malkin were in last year, florida prob would not have traded the 1st overall and selected him.

I agree with this.....the Canes would have still likely taken Staal, and the Pens Fleury, only at third instead of first...

I'd guess Olesz may have gone near the 7-12 range....

X-SHARKIE

I'm not so sure that Malkin would've been Floridas guy. But I do think thats who they would've picked. Staal, Zherdev and Fleury stay the same. I think the only shake up Malkin and Olesz would bring, is that Horton would end up going to Buffalo. Olesz wouldve been taken around 10th overall.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Florida had it bad for Horton, so I doubt that Florida would have taken Malkin even if he were available in the 2003 draft. My guess is that Florida would have traded down to third or fourth again. Pittsburgh would have still selected Fluery, Carolina would have still taken Staal, and Florida would have still selected Horton. At the 4 position would probably have been a battle between Zherdev and Malkin. I'd give the slight edge to Malkin in that situation and Zherdev would have been taken one selection later. That's just how I see it coming out.

This is how I rank the top 5 2003 eligible forwards with Malkin added in:

Staal
Zherdev
Malkin
Horton
Vanek

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
WJC performances go a long way, and Malkin outperformed Zherdev, and Staal was never there, all while Zherdev and Staal were 19 in their draft years.

^Talk about a run-on sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->