Malkin´s potential?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hughes J Laffy

A-Laf #13
Mar 22, 2002
Im the guy next door
Ok, Malkin is an big and skilled center with good wheels. It sound like an Yashin/Kozlov/Svitov type of player to me, except Malkin is an hard worker. So my question to ppl who have seen Malkin play, does he look like any of them mentioned? From what I read he does sound like an Svitov 3 years ago, I hope not but that is what Im afraid of.

MagnusJondus

Great Merican Hero
Mar 25, 2002
Ben Avon Hts, PA
Scouts were saying Svitov was like Holik.

Malkin is more talented than Bob-A-Holik and that is why he's the concensus #2.

Of the three mentioned, Yashin would be the better model IMO.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
He actually plays a style very much comparable to Lemieux. I'm not comparing him to Lemieux at all, just the style of play.

He will muck it when needed and will go in front of the net...but he's not a power forward.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Malkin reminds me of a young Joe Thornton. He could be a similar type of player if he fills out a bit more. I would say his pure offensive skills are superior to Thornton's; he's not quite as nasty although he does possess a mean streak.

AEKaki

Epsilon said:
Malkin reminds me of a young Joe Thornton. He could be a similar type of player if he fills out a bit more. I would say his pure offensive skills are superior to Thornton's; he's not quite as nasty although he does possess a mean streak.

same here.
He's compared to a Russian version of Rick Nash or Joe Thornton.

IMO, not Bobby Holik. Very bad comparison. Olesz is like Holik. He's alot closer to Yashing then to Holik.

May 1, 2003
Visit site
Hmm, I'm drawn to the comparison of Malkin playing similar to Vincent Lecalvier. Both being big centres and having strong offensive games.

SwOOsh*

Yeah he does remind me of Lecavalier in ways... I hope they let him develope for a year or two before rushing him into the NHL, I really like Malkin and think he will become a very good center.

Jeff Goldblum

Apr 19, 2002
Visit site
SwOOsh said:
Yeah he does remind me of Lecavalier in ways... I hope they let him develope for a year or two before rushing him into the NHL, I really like Malkin and think he will become a very good center.

You're just worried he'll steal the Calder from AO ;) :banana:

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
To me, Malkin is a combination of Mario Lemieux, Wayne Gretzkey, Mike Bossy, Valeri Kharlamov, Ilya Kovalchuk, Peter Stastny, Marcel Dionne, Jari Kurri, and Guy Lafleur. He's also a little like Bobby Orr, but he's about twice as good defensively. At worst he's the next Joe Sakic.

And that's not including his extra year of development he will get.

Yayo

MrKnowNothing said:
To me, Malkin is a combination of Mario Lemieux, Wayne Gretzkey, Mike Bossy, Valeri Kharlamov, Ilya Kovalchuk, Peter Stastny, Marcel Dionne, Jari Kurri, and Guy Lafleur. He's also a little like Bobby Orr, but he's about twice as good defensively. At worst he's the next Joe Sakic.

I see a bit of Patrick Roy in him as well. :banana:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
MrKnowNothing said:

I personally think that AO is the best prospect to come out in hockey history . . . Malkin is no better than the best prospect in his draft year . . .

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
steblick said:
Has anybody said Barry Bonds?

It would not surprise me at all that Malkin could outhit Bonds and likely double his lifetime home run totals if he played baseball during the off-season. Not only that but getting back to hockey I am fairly sure that he could outdive any Canadian, even Ribiero.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Malkin already has a head start on performance-enhancing drugs!

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
Jaded-Fan said:
It would not surprise me at all that Malkin could outhit Bonds and likely double his lifetime home run totals if he played baseball during the off-season. Not only that but getting back to hockey I am fairly sure that he could outdive any Canadian, even Ribiero.

I heard he could smoke more pot than any canadian....No wait...that was Zinojev!

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
SwOOsh said:

I also, hope that they develop him properly. The Pens, despite popular opinion, will not be in the position to draft this high again during thier rebuilding phase. Alot of what this team can become in the future depends on this pick and they simply can't afford to screw anything about this pick up.
Of course, I am not saying that he is going to make or break the future of this team, but he certainly could prove to be the biggest part (or a large part) of how succesful this team is in the future.

However SWOOSH, I must also add that I have no problem whatsoever if he made the team next year right out of camp provided he is ready. If he proves to be easily NHL ready, I don't see why there should be a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->