MALIK REPORT : rfa questions for the wings

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
(I completely forgot about Malik Report...)

But on topic, it's hard to tell with Timashov but he's still intriguing to me.

I don't care too much about what happens with Ehn. If what's out there is no better than what he brings at his salary (+/- a few mil) and it's easier for them because he knows how to play that role for the Wings then fine.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I like how when he talks about Perlini he mentions that he will be looking for a modest raise. He had 1 goal in 39 games and 4 pts, he isn't getting any raise (he barely earned 1 goal with his play), in fact he will be hard pressed to even get a deal from someone.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I like how he talks about how fast the cap space will disappear, as if there is any actual worry about that. I went through using capfriendly's GM thing and signed Bert/Mantha for 11M, a goalie for 5M, another 9m for a couple of D, and I still had cap space without LTIRing Zetterberg. We have a ton of cap space, and with Z, Nielsen, Gator, Flip, and Helm coming off at different points over the next three seasons, we'll continue to have it. Outside of some awful luck or some awful signings, I just don't see cap space as much of an issue.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I like how he talks about how fast the cap space will disappear, as if there is any actual worry about that. I went through using capfriendly's GM thing and signed Bert/Mantha for 11M, a goalie for 5M, another 9m for a couple of D, and I still had cap space without LTIRing Zetterberg. We have a ton of cap space, and with Z, Nielsen, Gator, Flip, and Helm coming off at different points over the next three seasons, we'll continue to have it. Outside of some awful luck or some awful signings, I just don't see cap space as much of an issue.

I don't see it as an issue. But I do think it's not as plentiful as some of the "we'll take cap dumps for picks" crowd seem to think.
In other words, I'll take a one-year cap dump - and that's about it.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
I don't see it as an issue. But I do think it's not as plentiful as some of the "we'll take cap dumps for picks" crowd seem to think.
A one year cap dump? What kind of compensation are you expecting to receive?

Reactions: Rzombo4 prez

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

it would help if at least one of those dumps could also fill a position of need. MAF would be a good fit. We might spend a bit more in salary, but if we get an asset to go along then it turns into a pretty solid deal, and it doesn't eat a lot of extra cap space that a dump at a non-position of need would eat.

It also depends a bit how far out someone thinks the wings are. If they expect to deal at least one of Bert/Mantha/Hronek/Larkin, then there is going to be some space available for quite awhile going forward.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
it would help if at least one of those dumps could also fill a position of need. MAF would be a good fit. We might spend a bit more in salary, but if we get an asset to go along then it turns into a pretty solid deal, and it doesn't eat a lot of extra cap space that a dump at a non-position of need would eat.

Now everyone will see why I was defending MAF all off-season. He's about to be our starting goalie. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Winger98

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon

That's fair. I'm a little bit uneasy when it comes to acquiring anybody who has more than 2 years left on their deal.

Derek Stepan would be a really good option.
Mathieu Perrault would be ok.
Tyler Johnson is a little long, but a safer bet to still be good for a couple years.
Alexander Wennberg could be a good option as a guy with a little more term (3 years).
Victor Rask has only 2 years left and has played center. I think he's no good now but that could mean a better asset attached.
Nick Bonino would be good.
Tyler Bozak would be good.

Cizikas? Zack Smith? Cogliano?

There are lots of options that are workable at F. We'll who gets the most desperate!

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
Carolina got a 1st for 1 year of Marleau so that.
That was a very unique situation. Marner had to be resigned and trading Marleau was pretty much the only way to clear enough space. Marleau had a signing bonus and was over 35 years old so his contract couldn't be bought out and/or buried. Basically once his signing bonus was paid he could be bought out for basically nothing. Very unique situation where Toronto's hands were tied.

A one year cap dump probably only returns a B level prospect at best.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Did quite fast 2021-22 season Armchair GM job at capfriendly, by signing RFAs like Mantha, Bertuzzi and Hronek to bigger extensions. Then signing rest of the guys for 1M (Svechnikov, Rasmussen, Givani Smith, Pearson, Ehn).

Brought also "perfetti" on the team with his ELC. Zadina, Veleno still at their ELC as well as Seider.

Krug signed from UFA for 7.3M and Fleury traded from Vegas for pick swap. Detroit getting better pick + Fleury.

Larsson (or some other kid) promoted to backup, with ELC, Cholowski, Lindström signed for 1M and McIsaac promoted (ELC).

There you have 13+7+2 = 23 sized team with ~14.5M in capspace (vs. 81.5M cap)

This includes still Abdelkader and Nielsen as bench warmers. Total of 9.5M. If you bury them and get a replacement player for 1M, the caphits are same. These will open more space for RFA extension after this 2021-22 season.

So getting Fleury and Krug outside, and let others walk/traded at 2021 deadline (Helm, Glendening, Nemeth, Bernier, Filppula Biega)...
...we'll have that 14.5M of extra space at 2021-22.

Rasmussen - Larkin - Mantha
"Perfetti" - Fabbri - Bertuzzi
Svechnikov - Veleno - Zadina
Ehn - Pearson - Smith
(Abdelkader, Nielsen)

Krug - Seider
DeKeyser - Hronek
McIsaac - Lindström
(Cholowski)

Fleury
(Larsson)

Last edited:

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
Now everyone will see why I was defending MAF all off-season. He's about to be our starting goalie. :sarcasm:

Strangely enough, I wouldn't be opposed to the French (Canadian) Connection in goal next year.

Krug signed from UFA for 7.3M...

I will literally break things (possibly even my own skull from :banghead: ) if we sign Krug; that is possibly the single worst signing we could make, in my opinion.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I will literally break things (possibly even my own skull from :banghead: ) if we sign Krug; that is possibly the single worst signing we could make, in my opinion.

No it isn't.

We don't have that level of 1st PP quarterback, and his transition game is elite. Gives the same thing for any team, what Quinn Hughes is PRAISED at the moment.

Krug is "prime Quinn Hughes", and you don't want that kind of player?

OK ! :help:

But feel free to use that 7M for Krug for some other option on your own speculations.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

Krug sending super secret messages over Zoom calls.

Iu5f56Y.png

Hat is on his head. Michigan on hat. Mind is inside head. Michigan on mind. Illuminate confirmed, boys.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
No it isn't.

We don't have that level of 1st PP quarterback, and his transition game is elite. Gives the same thing for any team, what Quinn Hughes is PRAISED at the moment.

Krug is "prime Quinn Hughes", and you don't want that kind of player?

OK ! :help:

But feel free to use that 7M for Krug for some other option on your own speculations.

I really dislike Krug as a player, and I don't feel he's as good as he's made out to be. I'm probably wrong, as usual, but that's just my opinion.

I don't want to spend that kind of money on Torey Krug, but if it happens, it happens.

Iu5f56Y.png

Hat is on his head. Michigan on hat. Mind is inside head. Michigan on mind. Illuminate confirmed, boys.

Illuminate? Does his hat light up as well?

Reactions: Henkka

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Illuminate confirmed, boys.

That looks more like a Freemason colorway.

EDIT: Can you imagine if he had a Red Wings jersey hung up on the wall? "It's just an autographed item from Nick Lidstrom. No big deal..."

Reactions: Bench

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

Iu5f56Y.png

10 X 7 lets do this!

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
That was a very unique situation. Marner had to be resigned and trading Marleau was pretty much the only way to clear enough space. Marleau had a signing bonus and was over 35 years old so his contract couldn't be bought out and/or buried. Basically once his signing bonus was paid he could be bought out for basically nothing. Very unique situation where Toronto's hands were tied.

A one year cap dump probably only returns a B level prospect at best.

Tampa has 5.3 million to re-sign: Cirelli, Cernak, Sergachev. If Detroit is going to help with their massive cap problem we are going to take 1st round picks not B level prospects.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad