Confirmed with Link: Malcom Subban claimed off Waivers

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
He can't be sent to the AHL, Boston would re-claim him off waivers first.
Could put in claim.

For like the first couple of weeks of the season, the order of waiver claims (i.e., which team has priority) is based on the previous season's finish (approximately draft order). So VGK was early picker. They would have to offer player to any other team that put in a claim (behind them).

Ongoing saga, for now

:pullhair:

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Under 30 days (I believe) the team that originally put the player on waivers gets first shot and can insta-send them to the AHL.

Nope. Not sure where this longstanding myth comes from. Let me run through a full list of the details, and some of the common misunderstandings:

General:
- Waiver claim priority order is based on previous season standings until Nov 1st, then current season standings afterward (as a % of possible points earned).
- Waiver claim priority does not change if a team makes a claim--i.e. no "go to the back of the line" like you might have in fantasy sports.
- If a player clears waivers that player can be freely assigned and recalled until either: (a) the player plays in 10 cumulative NHL games, or (b) spends 30 days on the NHL roster since waivers were cleared. Once (a) or (b) happens the player will have to be waived again to be assigned from the NHL to the AHL.
- Players can be recalled from the AHL without requiring waivers. The old Re-Entry waiver system was discontinued.
- Teams do not have any priority to reclaim a player they previously lost on waivers.

Claimed Players:
- The previous team that lost the player via waivers has no special priority to reclaim the player.
- There is no minimum # of days a claimed player must be kept on the NHL roster.
- If a team claims a player off waivers they cannot assign the player to the AHL without first submitting the player to waivers again and the player clearing.
- If a player is waived and claimed twice in a season and the original team (e.g. Boston for Subban) is the ONLY team to submit a claim, then that team can assign the player to the AHL without again going through waivers. Provided the AHL assignment is done within the (a)/(b) 10 NHL games or 30 Days threshold.

Trading a Claimed Player:
- If a team successfully claims a player and is the ONLY team to submit a claim then that team is free to trade to player at any time.
- If a team successfully claims a player, but other teams submitted claims as well, then the claiming team cannot trade the player for the remainder of the season unless they have first offered the player to all the unsuccessful claiming teams in exchange for the player's waiver claim $ price and been turned down by all those teams.

Reactions: BattleBorn

WolfKeeper

Aug 14, 2003
outside Chicago
www.wolfkeeper.org
So "sorta".

I've seen the NHL claim a player, tries to send them to the AHL, then player gets claimed back by original NHL team before. It's rare, but I've seen it happen, since all I really follow is AHL transactions.

Are the waiver rules actually published somewhere? A quick Google search didn't come up with anything complete or official that I could find.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
So "sorta".

I've seen the NHL claim a player, tries to send them to the AHL, then player gets claimed back by original NHL team before. It's rare, but I've seen it happen, since all I really follow is AHL transactions.

Are the waiver rules actually published somewhere? A quick Google search didn't come up with anything complete or official that I could find.

@mouser is the CBA genius around these parts and might know just as much/more than the folks at the league and team offices. I'm pretty sure it's all in the CBA, and therefore strangely worded and fairly difficult to find.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
So "sorta".

The Waiver rules are mostly contained in Section 13 of the CBA; http://www.nhl.com/nhl/en/v3/ext/CBA2012/NHL_NHLPA_2013_CBA.pdf

The majority of details I posted are covered in 13.2 and 13.18-13.22.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Any idea of when/if we can find out who else put in a claim for Subban? In the past, it seems like McKenzie/Dreger/Friedman usually share this after the fact.

In my experience it rarely gets reported if another team submitted a claim unless there's some real rumors that a team wants to trade a claimed player.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
mouser -- I thought it was 10 games or 30 days on NHL roster -- cumulatively -- before had to go through waivers again (not 30 days since clearing waivers).

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

12. Fleury’s injury led to a huge night for Malcolm Subban, who won his first NHL game as Vegas beat Boston, the followed up with another on Tuesday. What I’d forgotten was that David Prior, the Golden Knights’ goalie coach, lives in Guelph, Ont., and saw plenty of Subban while still in the OHL.

“I did scout Malcolm for Washington and we interviewed him before his draft,” Prior said after Subban’s victory. “I always thought he had the right head on his shoulders.”

A lot of eyebrows were raised when Vegas took Subban off waivers from the Bruins.

“I didn’t dislike Calvin Pickard,” Prior added. “I was hoping we’d have the space to carry three. My goal with Malcolm was not to play him, but to work and improve his game. I felt he was worthy to take in the expansion draft.”

Colin Miller was the pick from Boston.

13. When asked what he thought he could fix with Subban, Prior wavered. He didn’t want to criticize anyone else.

“I’ve been accused of being old school and I am,” he eventually offered. “I prefer guys not to be so automatic to the ice. I preach being on your feet. I look for physical skill to wait it out. It can be unsettling, but I tell them I don’t scare if you get scored on in practice. I’m more interested in the evolution of your game. I want to see how long you can stand up.”

He believed Subban would be capable of that.

“His physical talent excited me the most. I may not have shared beliefs in the way he played, but he was quite disciplined at doing what he was instructed to do. That told me he is coachable. Whether he agrees or not, he will do it. His losing record did not concern me.”

14. Prior warned that one victory is far, far from a guarantee. But he was proud of Subban because, “games are supposed to be fun. You do the work leading up to them.”

I worry this isn’t going to come across as purely in print (or on a computer screen) as it did in our conversation, but when he saw his goalie in the second intermission of the Boston game, Prior congratulated him for reaching 40 minutes for the first time in his NHL career. His two previous appearances lasted 31 minutes apiece. He was trying to tell the young goalie he’d taken a step. Twenty minutes later, Subban finished the job.

SB84

Jul 22, 2015
Calgary, AB
Another win for Subban. He was coming back from his recent injury and looked pretty good against the ducks, especially in in the back half of the 3rd and O.T, stopping a Ducks power play and getting the game to a shootout. Really happy for the kid. Always liked him and am glad he has found a home in Vegas. Had he not been claimed by Vegas he would have been buried in Providence and who knows if he ever would have been given the chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad