Confirmed with Link: Malcom Subban claimed off Waivers

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Realize that teams must have NHL roster spot for waiver pick ups.

It might be that VGK will have three goalies on the NHL roster at the 2pm PT deadline today. Perhaps tomorrow Pickard will be on waivers, for assignment to AHL Chicago.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
if they can't send Subban to the Wolves it's got to be something like Pickard + Sbisa (cap retained) for a 6th

if they moved Pickard to move someone like Merrill that's a tough one to swallow.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
This makes no sense. Why not take anybody else other than Pickard then? WHy did they take someone like Grigorenko....

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
It might be that VGK will have three goalies on the NHL roster at the 2pm PT deadline today. Perhaps tomorrow Pickard will be on waivers, for assignment to AHL Chicago.

The roster is already overcrowded, so keeping 3 goalies doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Has to be a trade incoming, but I'm trying to think of which team has the room to take on Pickard without sending another goalie back.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
As of right now it appears Leipsic and Hunt were waived but went unreported (unless they're still on the roster and sites are making errors) and Hyka and Tuch were sent down, leaving 12 forwards (11 if Neal is still on the IR)

Still makes 24 players if Neal is IR but is Engelland playing RW?

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
24 active players is fine for today/tomorrow. By claiming Subban the Knights can run with 24 players today, they'll need to submit someone for waivers tomorrow, who would presumably be claimed or assigned to the AHL on Thursday.

Basically the waivers rules give teams the necessary additional time to become roster compliant after claiming a player off waivers.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Apparently he was on the injured list for Sunday's game. If we can put him and Neal on the IR, then assign Tuch/Theo to the AHL, we'd be at 12F/9D/3G - just need to trade one player before 2pm to be compliant.
Good call. Stoner was just placed on IR.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
24 active players is fine for today/tomorrow. By claiming Subban the Knights can run with 24 players today, they'll need to submit someone for waivers tomorrow, who would presumably be claimed or assigned to the AHL on Thursday.

Basically the waivers rules give teams the necessary additional time to become roster compliant after claiming a player off waivers.

It's actually a pretty shrewd move on GMGM's part. Gives him time to deal with teams AFTER they submit their 23-man roster - he said he would make a trade, so I wonder if teams told him to wait until after today's deadline and they'd be ready to go?

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
so after all that speculation of needing to trade a defenseman, they go an add a 3rd goaltender. Good grief.

Isn’t Subban still on an AHL deal? He can report right to Chicago, yes?

He has a two-way contract that pays him less in the AHL but he's not waiver exempt. Vegas may keep him in the NHL all year.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Does anybody else get the feeling that they'll rotate Fluery and Pickard/Subban with Fleury playing every other game and then Pickard and Subban switching between them? At least for a little while.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Does anybody else get the feeling that they'll rotate Fluery and Pickard/Subban with Fleury playing every other game and then Pickard and Subban switching between them? At least for a little while.

No. #1 goalies need to play ~2x week to keep their rhythm, with the 3rd game of the week being possible for backup.

So it might be Fleury, Fluery, X, Fleury, Fleury, Y kinda of repetition.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
No. #1 goalies need to play ~2x week to keep their rhythm, with the 3rd game of the week being possible for backup.

So it might be Fleury, Fluery, X, Fleury, Fleury, Y kinda of repetition.

3-goalie situations are never good. Even at practice, you've got one guy who can't take the net. This roster is already overcrowded, so using 3 roster spots on goalies seems short-sighted.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
The 3 goalie system is the worst thing that could happen. It was a complete cluster**** for the Islanders.

That's why this claim is very confusing, unless a deal for Pickard is looming. There's no openings in the AHL, and I'm sure the Bruins (or someone else) would claim Subban if we tried to send him down.

The only thing I can think of is that McPhee really wanted Subban and Miller in the expansion draft, but settled on Miller - and he didn't really care for any of the players that Colorado had to offer, so he took Pickard. When Subban became available, McPhee saw it as a chance to replace Pickard with Subban - I'm just curious to see if he simply waives Pickard (to assign him wherever or see if anyone claims him) or trades him. It's going to be a very interesting couple of days for the Knights...

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
3-goalie situations are never good. Even at practice, you've got one guy who can't take the net. This roster is already overcrowded, so using 3 roster spots on goalies seems short-sighted.

I would assume Subban potentially has more value than Reinhart, Sbisa, Hunt & Merrill so perhaps the thinking is why trade a D when you can trade a goaltender. Better to make room, hope he does well & flip him for a pick and a 21yo goalie.

Granted, it's not really an either/or type situation but if you can get a guy to flip, then I say flip.

Plus I get the feeling McPhee is gonna get calls on Fleury all season, so you never know...

Last edited:

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I would assume Subban potentially has more value than Reinhart, Sbisa, Hunt & Merrill so perhaps the thinking is why trade a D when you can trade a goaltender. Better to make room, hope he does well & flip him for a pick and a 21yo goalie.

Granted, it's not really an either/or type situation but if you can get a guy to flip, then I say flip.

Plus I get the feeling McPhee is gonna get calls on Fleury all season, so you never know...

Thing is Subban is unlikely to see much ice time in a three headed goalie system to build up his vslue.

Also, Vegas isn't free to trade Subban if another team put in a waiver claim for him, but I'd guess odds are low that happened.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad