Making the Cut 2 players

AgentNaslund*

crap show. the winner will not play in the NHL. someone pls quote me on this. THe winner will not play in the NHL.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
The first show was great, although maybe it was a bit too ambitious and they had a little bit of trouble keeping the story moving smoothly given how wide open the competition was. That it never produced any winners with realistic NHL aspirations was not necessarily a surprise.

This format seems better, with a smaller group of younger players specifically targeted by scouts as being legitimate "overlooked" prospects for the NHL. It's not wide open to the public and all ages anymore. Some of the players have already signed with NHL teams since the show was taped. My only worry is that it'll once again be difficult for them to make a coherent and entertaining story with such a small number of episodes.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
David Brine and Franklin McDonald were/are in it, both have signed with Florida.

Rane Carnegie is also in it.
Interesting that they were on the show. That might help explain why Brine and MacDonald stood out to me as two of the best players for Florida at the Rookie Tournament. Sounds like they had a busy summer, and it paid off nicely for them. Those kids are legitimate NHL prospects, IMO. Not in glamourous roles, and not without a lot more hard work and progress, of course, but at 21, they played with and against the top prospects from Montreal, Toronto, and Florida, same average age, and they were amongst the best on the ice.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Interesting that they were on the show. That might help explain why Brine and MacDonald stood out to me as two of the best players for Florida at the Rookie Tournament. Sounds like they had a busy summer, and it paid off nicely for them. Those kids are legitimate NHL prospects, IMO. Not in glamourous roles, and not without a lot more hard work and progress, of course, but at 21, they played with and against the top prospects from Montreal, Toronto, and Florida, same average age, and they were amongst the best on the ice.
And both played their first CHL games at age 18...just goes to show that you dont have to be a high pick in the CHL or even NHL to make a good career out of it.

Bryzga lol*

And Desjardins has a minor league contract with the Habs right?

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
How can anyone say that it's a crap show? What harm is it doing these kids to be on the shower? Absolutely none. Some of you need to get rid of this mentality that unless a kid is going to the NHL they should quit trying. There are alot of good hockey leagues where players can make a very good living outside of the NHL. This show is a perfect opportunity for players to showcase themselves. But what do I know, you are the experts saying it's a waste. And in case you aren't keeping up to date, several players have signed AHL contracts and there are others that I'm sure aren't far behind. Yup, total waste of a show.

littleD

How can anyone say that it's a crap show? What harm is it doing these kids to be on the shower? Absolutely none. Some of you need to get rid of this mentality that unless a kid is going to the NHL they should quit trying. There are alot of good hockey leagues where players can make a very good living outside of the NHL. This show is a perfect opportunity for players to showcase themselves. But what do I know, you are the experts saying it's a waste. And in case you aren't keeping up to date, several players have signed AHL contracts and there are others that I'm sure aren't far behind. Yup, total waste of a show.

I have no problems with a player getting a chance on the show, but it doesn't mean it's a good TV show.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

I just don't get the point.

Most of these guys are well known in the scouting community. Heck, I was familiar with 9 of the 10 guys listed in the first post straight off.

A guy like Adam Taylor was drafted by an NHL team in 2002, played 5 years in the WHL including a Memorial Cup, was in Vancouver's training camp last season, and was an above-average ECHL player last year.

David Brine scored 100 points in the QMJHL last year and was playing in the AHL playoffs when the season ended. Cedric Desjardins has a pro contract. Mitch Bartley has been to a couple NHL training camps and would have no problem getting a job with an ECHL team.

These aren't some 'obscure' guys getting a once-in-a-lifetime chance from a TV show. These are established talents, none of whom would have any problem carving out a living in (at worst) the ECHL. Many have already been to NHL training camps in the last year or two.

The quality of talent on the show isn't any different than the 10-15 'invite' players at every NHL team's prospect camp a couple weeks ago, and most of these guys would be getting prospect-camp invites anyway.

To me, it's just ... kind of repetitive.

Sabes

Feb 27, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
Goalies

Jeff Harvey
Dan McWhinney
Cedrick Desjardins
David Tremblay

Defense

Jeff Mushaluk
Gary Gladue
Chris Ovington
Evan Haw
Andy Zulyniak
Adam Stefishen
Erik Felde
Craig Cescon
Franklin McDonald
Daniel Jacob
Iain McPhee
Kyle Raftis
Matt Manias
Adam Nemeth

Forwards

Jarret Lukin
Dylan Stanley
Ben Kilgour
Mitch Bartley
Graham Dearle
Adam Taylor
Ricky McLaren
Casey Lee
Warren McCutcheon
Robbie Drummond
Craig Voakes
Mark Prentice
Rane Carnegie
Cody Thornton
Jeff Richards
David Brine
Matt Kelly
Jordan Morrison

Last edited:

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
ACK!

Jarret Lukin is on there. I know he went to a Coyotes training camp a few years ago and then played for the Dinos :)shakehead ) last year.

I hope he does well. He's a nice guy with some decent skills and great leadership abilities.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad