Making scouting a career

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buffalo

Apr 3, 2002
Visit site
Hi,
Im interested in making scouting a career. Im currently in College, not as a player, but as a fan, and desire to put hockey in a career. Would anyone either as a scout, former, or would know where I could contact, (im living in North Carolina if that helps) or just somewhere to start?

Thanks
Mark

Old Hickory

From what I have been told. Many teams have internship scouting programs. I would call the Canes front office and see if they have one.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Buffalo said:
Hi,
Im interested in making scouting a career. Im currently in College, not as a player, but as a fan, and desire to put hockey in a career. Would anyone either as a scout, former, or would know where I could contact, (im living in North Carolina if that helps) or just somewhere to start?

Thanks
Mark

All you need to know.

http://www.scouting.org/

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
Start your own independent scouting business. Find an area that you can scout as many teams as possible say maybe around London, Ontario or some OHL hotbed. Rank as many players as you can with a paragraph or so describing their play.

Put up a website with all or some of this info (everyone here would give it a looksee). And if the teams are interested in your work they'll pay for your service or hire you. If you were to pick out a Marian Hossa kind of player and warn against a Daniel Tkachuk kind of player your reputation would skyrocket. And, of course, you'd be networking with the scouts who are there eating hot dogs and drinking beer all night. And developing a reputation will take years.

I doubt it's as romantic as you think. Just the travel and the driving in awful weather beats most people. But if you love hockey that much I say go for it and good luck!

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
From what I've seen, scouts are mainly hired by who they know, rather than what they know. You need to get your foot in the door and make lots of contacts. If an internship program is available with any club, take it, whether it's the NHL, ECHL, CHL etc.. If you're not a former player or coach at the NHL level, it's extremely remote that you'll become an NHL scout until you prove yourself at the lower levels.

I'd also suggest you contact our affiliate, ISS (International Scouting Services) for information;
http://www.internationalscouting.com/contact.htm

Schlep Rock

Feb 28, 2002
USA
mr gib said:
if you got some - education - combined with some practical experience - you could improve your chances of reaching your goal -

I don't see how educating yourself about becoming a sports agent would help you in obtaining a scouting position?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad