Making scouting a career

Discussion in 'Fugu's Business of Hockey Forum' started by Buffalo, Oct 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
View Users: View Users
  1. Buffalo

Buffalo Registered User

Home Page:
    Hi,
    Im interested in making scouting a career. Im currently in College, not as a player, but as a fan, and desire to put hockey in a career. Would anyone either as a scout, former, or would know where I could contact, (im living in North Carolina if that helps) or just somewhere to start?

Thanks
    Mark

2. Old Hickory

Old Hickory Guest

From what I have been told. Many teams have internship scouting programs. I would call the Canes front office and see if they have one.

3. mr gib

mr gib Registered User

rock and roller
    Home Page:
    https://www.sportsmanagementworldwide.com/

maybe?

4. Schlep Rock

Schlep Rock Registered User

5. ACC1224

ACC1224 Steelers 3-2-1 Bye week

All you need to know.

http://www.scouting.org/

6. not quite yoda

not quite yoda Registered User

Home Page:
    as funny as that was... that was also mean to lead someone on and get their hopes up like that.

:jump:

7. mr gib

mr gib Registered User

rock and roller
    Home Page:
    if you got some - education - combined with some practical experience - you could improve your chances of reaching your goal -

8. Atlas

Atlas Registered User

Start your own independent scouting business. Find an area that you can scout as many teams as possible say maybe around London, Ontario or some OHL hotbed. Rank as many players as you can with a paragraph or so describing their play.

Put up a website with all or some of this info (everyone here would give it a looksee). And if the teams are interested in your work they'll pay for your service or hire you. If you were to pick out a Marian Hossa kind of player and warn against a Daniel Tkachuk kind of player your reputation would skyrocket. And, of course, you'd be networking with the scouts who are there eating hot dogs and drinking beer all night. And developing a reputation will take years.

I doubt it's as romantic as you think. Just the travel and the driving in awful weather beats most people. But if you love hockey that much I say go for it and good luck!

9. Buffaloed

Buffaloed webmaster

From what I've seen, scouts are mainly hired by who they know, rather than what they know. You need to get your foot in the door and make lots of contacts. If an internship program is available with any club, take it, whether it's the NHL, ECHL, CHL etc.. If you're not a former player or coach at the NHL level, it's extremely remote that you'll become an NHL scout until you prove yourself at the lower levels.

I'd also suggest you contact our affiliate, ISS (International Scouting Services) for information;
    http://www.internationalscouting.com/contact.htm

10. Schlep Rock

Schlep Rock Registered User

I don't see how educating yourself about becoming a sports agent would help you in obtaining a scouting position?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.