Making Room for Rookies

Joey English

Apr 25, 2015
Newfoundland

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
looks about right. but this part regarding Matthias is so wrong I had to say something. - "He is a hard-hitting power forward". is he really?

go canucks go*

looks about right. but this part regarding Matthias is so wrong I had to say something. - "He is a hard-hitting power forward". is he really?

Correction: 'Big-bodied perimeter forward who rarely has spurts of using his size to cut to the net'

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Hey guys, I've written another article on Along the Boards about trimming the fat on this team. Who do you think is going to be moved before next season? What team do you think might pick them up?

Here's the link:

http://alongtheboards.com/2015/05/vancouver-canucks-making-room-rookies/

I'm new here to this community so, if this would have been better off as a continuation to my old thread, that's my bad!
Good article for the players mentioned. I selfishly wanted you to go further into the future of Higgins Burrows,Vrbata. How about Richardson? I think there will be two waves of trades this summer and next trade deadline. Hamhuis, Vrbata and Burrows go at deadline maybe with Miller if the Canucks falter. Bieksa and Higgs go in the summer. I kind of feel why wait? Trade more vets in the summer and replace with a couple UFA's. That way you get picks without losing all competitiveness. For example sign Fransen as one vet then trade both Bieksa and Hamhuis. Cap will not be an issue for a while with all the young players coming.

Phrazer

Apr 2, 2008
Cairns
If I'm running the team. I get rid of Matthias (UFA), Richardson (UFA), Weber (UFA), Bieksa (1yr NTC), Burrows (2 YR NTC) and Vrbata (1 YR).

Leaving.

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
WINGER-Horvat-WINGER
Higgins-Bonino-WINGER
Dorsett-CENTER-Hansen

Edler-Tanev
Hamhuis-DMAN
Sbisa-DMAN

3 WINGER spots to be fought out by Kenins, Baertschi, Virtanen, Shinkaruk, Jensen, and whoever we may get back in a Burrows, Bieksa or Vrbata trade.

1 CENTER spot to be fought out by Gaunce, McCann, Vey and Cassels

2 DMAN spots to be fought out by Corrado, Clendening, Pedan and whoever we may get back in a Burrows, Bieksa or Vrbata trade.

Joey English

Apr 25, 2015
Newfoundland

Meh, he can be. Anyone who calls me out on the fact that he was not always one one of those... you're absolutely right.

I should have phrased that differently to account for the amount of times this season that he was NOT that. His lack of consistency (while mentioned) should probably have been exploited a bit more in my bludgeoning of the dude... because he's going to inherit a generous chunk of change from a team that I only hope is not us.

Joey English

Apr 25, 2015
Newfoundland
Good article for the players mentioned. I selfishly wanted you to go further into the future of Higgins Burrows,Vrbata. How about Richardson? I think there will be two waves of trades this summer and next trade deadline. Hamhuis, Vrbata and Burrows go at deadline maybe with Miller if the Canucks falter. Bieksa and Higgs go in the summer. I kind of feel why wait? Trade more vets in the summer and replace with a couple UFA's. That way you get picks without losing all competitiveness. For example sign Fransen as one vet then trade both Bieksa and Hamhuis. Cap will not be an issue for a while with all the young players coming.

I think that's a lot of trades to consider all in the next year. But I do think it would be wise to move Miller for sure; honestly, Lack is capable if he's playing behind a defense that isn't incredibly porous.

I think Burr and Hamhuis are going to be Canucks until their contracts run dry. I don't think anyone will want Burrows' contract and I think Hamhuis is truthfully the ideal role model for many of the Canucks' young defensemen.

Higgins! Now is the time to move him. He's only going to decrease in value. Take any picks you can get and run!

Side note: I may do another article on 'Nucks trade-bait in the near future. Thanks for the ideas, guy! :)

McHortton

Accidental Tank 2016
Jun 28, 2013
Vancouver
Great article man! Couldn't agree more, with everything.

I'll be extremely happy if they somehow got rid of Bieksa AND Sbisa but obviously Sbisa isn't going anywhere so I'll settle with Bieksa gone. Like you said he's "deteorating" , the good thing is he still seems to have decent trade value around the league, I think we could easily get a 2nd + for him.

I'm super excited to see what Frankie can do in a full season, he definitely has top 4 potential and I really can't see him being as bad as Bieksas been.

You got it on point with our goalies. Miller and Lack likely aren't going anywhere Markstrom is more than likely gone. Phoenix could be a good option for Marky, don't really no who else would be interested. Maybe Buffalo?

canucks22

Feb 12, 2010
Vancouver, BC
If I'm running the team. I get rid of Matthias (UFA), Richardson (UFA), Weber (UFA), Bieksa (1yr NTC), Burrows (2 YR NTC) and Vrbata (1 YR).

Leaving.

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
WINGER-Horvat-WINGER
Higgins-Bonino-WINGER
Dorsett-CENTER-Hansen

Edler-Tanev
Hamhuis-DMAN
Sbisa-DMAN

3 WINGER spots to be fought out by Kenins, Baertschi, Virtanen, Shinkaruk, Jensen, and whoever we may get back in a Burrows, Bieksa or Vrbata trade.

1 CENTER spot to be fought out by Gaunce, McCann, Vey and Cassels

2 DMAN spots to be fought out by Corrado, Clendening, Pedan and whoever we may get back in a Burrows, Bieksa or Vrbata trade.

You really wanna get rid of Vrbata? I don't think Kassian or any other winger in our system is better than him on that top line(aside from Daniel)

Phrazer

Apr 2, 2008
Cairns
You really wanna get rid of Vrbata? I don't think Kassian or any other winger in our system is better than him on that top line(aside from Daniel)

I would mainly because I'm confident we could get a PMD we so desperately need for him. And feel that we have multiple young scoring wingers ready to start developing in the NHL. I want to see both Baertschi and Virtanen on the team next year. While I know it isn't impossible to see that with Vrbata staying around. I feel he is our main expendable asset with still some significant value that can address our #1 need.

After that flames series it became apparent to me that our #1 weakness is our transition game. If we could bring in a Ryan Ellis or Eric Gelinas for Vrbata it could go a long way to fixing that.

Phrazer

Apr 2, 2008
Cairns
Something like Vrbata for Ellis +

Burrows and Bieksa for whatever futures you can get. Flip some assets for a veteran scoring winger, or sign someone like Frolik with all this extra cap we get from cutting some major contracts.

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Baertschi-Horvat-Frolik
Higgins-Bonino-Virtanen
Dorsett-McCann-Hansen

Edler-Tanev
Hamhuis-Ellis
Sbisa-Pedan/Corrado/Clendening

Looks pretty good to me.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Let me just mention that Vancouver has difficulty attracting free agents aside from pure mercenaries. This complicates the issue of UFAs because they are hard to replace. It is very possible Benning pays to keep Mattias.

McHortton

Accidental Tank 2016
Jun 28, 2013
Vancouver
Something like Vrbata for Ellis +

Burrows and Bieksa for whatever futures you can get. Flip some assets for a veteran scoring winger, or sign someone like Frolik with all this extra cap we get from cutting some major contracts.

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Baertschi-Horvat-Frolik
Higgins-Bonino-Virtanen
Dorsett-McCann-Hansen

Edler-Tanev
Hamhuis-Ellis
Sbisa-Pedan/Corrado/Clendening

Looks pretty good to me.

I like Frolik but he would be another 2/3 tweener playing in the 2nd line like we've had so many times in the past, that's why Vrbata is so important.

I'm still all for getting rid of him, it would definitely result in a higher draft pick next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad