Hayton
Kerfoot
1st 2022 (ARI)
1st 2022 (TOR)
2nd 2022 (SJS)

:leafs
Eichel (1.5m retained)
Soderstrom

Matthews goes to his UFA destination (home) early. Toronto gets Eichel at a slight discount, and Soderstrom, a very good right side defensive prospect. Buffalo gets excellent futures, including 2 1sts in a deep draft, a very good center prospect, a warm body in Kerfoot, and likely a very high 2nd (almost as good as high 1st).
Sorry, not even close with Eichels wonky glass body

TheKingSlayer

He was in the way!
Mar 12, 2008
Ottawa
Matthews for 1st overall pick next year (Shane Wright) taken by Arizona. Trade just waiting to happen. Yankee goes home and the Leafs take a good ol Canadian boy to be their new icon to build around.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Matthews for 1st overall pick next year (Shane Wright) taken by Arizona. Trade just waiting to happen. Yankee goes home and the Leafs take a good ol Canadian boy to be their new icon to build around.

Why would anyone trade the game's current best goal scorer for an unproven talent? No one's doing that.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Why would anyone trade the game's current best goal scorer for an unproven talent? No one's doing that.
Why would anu team trade the best prospect since McDavid for an older / overpaid version? 950k x 3 years is worth a lot nowadays

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I'd love to get Matthews. Way, way more than Eichel. I'd offer Tkachuk and Hanifin to balance the salaries. Add in a 1st and your choice of Valimaki, Zary or Pelletier.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto

Uh huh. And how do they plan on paying Matthews?

Space Coyote

Oct 29, 2010
Why would anu team trade the best prospect since McDavid for an older / overpaid version? 950k x 3 years is worth a lot nowadays

A prospect which could easily bust. And why would a team trying to contend for the cup would trade their 24 year old 1C for 18 year old prospect.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Friendly reminder that this doesn't actually mean anything in regards to his talent or abilities. He paced for 55 in 2019-2020 and 65 in 2021, both of which were shortened seasons due to COVID
Every leafs fan acts like his mom whenever I say that despite it being objectively true lmfao kills me every time

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
I'm not even sure that offer gets you Eichel. You don't trade a rocket winner for cap space.

I remember this same conversation some years ago:

" Heiskanen has nowhere near the value Nylander has, even if Dallas adds 2 1st:s Nylander is and will be the superior player"

Hintz - a 6`3" 1C who was over PPG and play all situations, Robertson - a winger that was .9 PPG both signed for 4M TOGETHER + 7.6M cap isnt worth 3yrs of Matthews? Ooh, and btw - both Stars players will be under contract for a lot longer than your guy :D

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012

" Heiskanen has nowhere near the value Nylander has, even if Dallas adds 2 1st:s Nylander is and will be the superior player"

Hintz - a 6`3" 1C who was over PPG and play all situations, Robertson - a winger that was .9 PPG both signed for 4M TOGETHER + 7.6M cap isnt worth 3yrs of Matthews? Ooh, and btw - both Stars players will be under contract for a lot longer than your guy :D

Since Matthews entered the league he is second in goals scored (not on pace, not percentage wise), even with the injuries he had. The only person above him is Ovechkin and he has 6 more goals in 20 more games. That is worth more than the offer you're proposing.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018

Half a season at a point per game while playing LW. Pretty low bar for a 1C these days.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
A prospect which could easily bust. And why would a team trying to contend for the cup would trade their 24 year old 1C for 18 year old prospect.
Imagine what the leafs could do witu 10M$ on their salary cap, and Wright.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Looking for historical precedent, only things close to a Matthews deal would be

Pronger trade-
-limited term, near best in the league, high cap contract
Price: Former top 10 pick coming off 28 goal/ 50+ point rookie season, nhl ready former top 10 pick dman, 1st round pick, 2nd round pick, conditional 1st round pick

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Dubas will go down as one of the worst GMs in NHL history.
Let's remember that Shanahans to blame here as well.
There's no way any of the 4 stupid contracts were done without Shanahan being involved.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Friendly reminder that Matthews has never actually scored 50 goals

Math has never been the strong suit for Leafs fans. Salary Cap? No problem. Team hasn't won a single playoff round in 20 years? Cup favourite!

I think Arizona is gearing up to make a push for Matthews in 3 years when he is UFA. Get tons of picks this year and next and try to be on the rise in 3 years time. If I am them, everything I do now it is to be good in 3 years time or at least a team that is definitely on the rise with tons of prospects. I’d keep Keller around to help convince Matthews to play there as they are friends. I think this is the approach that Arizona has taken given all the picks they acquired this year and next - to hopefully be an attractive team on the ice in 3 years time. Try to get Bedard or Wright this year or next. Build through the draft for 3 years and then bring in Matthews as UFA

I agree. And Boeser is friends with Matthews, I could see a scenerio in 3 years where the Canucks need cap space, and Arizona has enough young talent to make an offer the Canucks can't refuse. Boeser is an underrated play maker, could work with Matthews.

Friendly reminder that this doesn't actually mean anything in regards to his talent or abilities. He paced for 55 in 2019-2020 and 65 in 2021, both of which were shortened seasons due to COVID

Last year, Brogan Rafferty was on pace for 82 assists while averaging only 14 minutes TOI. Leafs should trade for this #1 D that is only being paid $750k in Anaheim.

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Arizona says no, there is no need to compete now and they can easily wait.
Just responding to another post.

That said I definitely agree with you. I've said since day 1 Matthews is going home. Though I didn't think Dubas would sign him to a 5 year deal and give him a NMC in year 5. Stupidest contract in Leafs history and there's been a number of those.

Reactions: JAK

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Thats just way off man.

Take your best Eichel offer and up it.

Value wise, no

If you already denied the Matthews offer why would you like my Eichel offer
which would be way less doesn't matter how i up it.

But since you were asking: Lizotte+ Wagner and to up it i would include Kempe.

No idea why you would like that more but here we are

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Ottawa unfortunately don’t have the assets to attain Matthews while the Leafs are competing. However, if the Leafs decided to go full scorched Earth for no reason I think 4 first round quality picks might get it done.

22’ unprotected first
23’ conditional second (turns to first if Ottawa makes playoffs in 22’-‘23)
Josh Norris
Ridley Greig
Logan Brown

I personally wouldn’t pay the astronomical cost but I figure that’s at the very least what might get considered. They’d probably ask for Stu or Sanderson.

Maybe OttawUSA has a shot at re-signing him too.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Half a season at a point per game while playing LW. Pretty low bar for a 1C these days.

You mean "listed as LW". Maybe look at some games and you`ll know where he plays? Oooh and Hintz played fewer games because he was injured all season. Still over PPG when injured. Hands down the best player on Stars last season.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Dubas will go down as one of the worst GMs in NHL history.
Let's remember that Shanahans to blame here as well.
There's no way any of the 4 stupid contracts were done without Shanahan being involved.

Read the comments by Leafers here and their stars are actually underpaid. Thoos Toronto-demiGODs are worth close to 20M/

Reactions: JAK

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Every leafs fan acts like his mom whenever I say that despite it being objectively true lmfao kills me every time
How am I acting like his mom for pointing out the fact is useless? Especially in this thread when we’re discussing a trade for him or his value

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Math has never been the strong suit for Leafs fans. Salary Cap? No problem. Team hasn't won a single playoff round in 20 years? Cup favourite!

I agree. And Boeser is friends with Matthews, I could see a scenerio in 3 years where the Canucks need cap space, and Arizona has enough young talent to make an offer the Canucks can't refuse. Boeser is an underrated play maker, could work with Matthews.

Last year, Brogan Rafferty was on pace for 82 assists while averaging only 14 minutes TOI. Leafs should trade for this #1 D that is only being paid $750k in Anaheim.
If you can’t discern the value of a 1 game sample size versus a sample size of 70 and 52 that’s your problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad