Value of: Make your best offer for Auston Matthews

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Obviously Dallas would never do that trade. They would be turned down flat. They would sure like to though.
Of course there’s no way you could know that as you aren’t the gm of either team.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
As a neutral observer, why would Toronto trade him? Any trade they make, unless it's for McDavid, the Leafs give up the best player in the deal. They aren't rebuilding and any team trading for him would have to gut their core or pipeline or both.

The only way the Leafs should trade him is as a rental if he won't sign or they want to tear it down again.
can't trade him in year 5 if he doesn't like the location .!can't resign him until year 5 so than it's out of the teams control . seriously diminishes value because he may only be a rental wanting to test free agency . dubas and shanahan really thought this one through

Reactions: JAK

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
3-way deal

:coyotes
Matthews

:sabres
Hayton
Kerfoot
1st 2022 (ARI)
1st 2022 (TOR)
2nd 2022 (SJS)

:leafs
Eichel (1.5m retained)
Soderstrom

Matthews goes to his UFA destination (home) early. Toronto gets Eichel at a slight discount, and Soderstrom, a very good right side defensive prospect. Buffalo gets excellent futures, including 2 1sts in a deep draft, a very good center prospect, a warm body in Kerfoot, and likely a very high 2nd (almost as good as high 1st).

Why does everyone just assume he wants to play in PHX the first chance he gets? They aren't a very good team and wont be f0r a while. Sure, playing in our hometown is always cool but I don't think thats his biggest want at this stage of his career.

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
I think Arizona is gearing up to make a push for Matthews in 3 years when he is UFA. Get tons of picks this year and next and try to be on the rise in 3 years time. If I am them, everything I do now it is to be good in 3 years time or at least a team that is definitely on the rise with tons of prospects. I’d keep Keller around to help convince Matthews to play there as they are friends. I think this is the approach that Arizona has taken given all the picks they acquired this year and next - to hopefully be an attractive team on the ice in 3 years time. Try to get Bedard or Wright this year or next. Build through the draft for 3 years and then bring in Matthews as UFA

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Yes, seriously! There is no way in hell Toronto would be stupid enough to turn down a 1C and 1W + 7.6M cap for Matthews. But, Dallas would never do the trade

Dallas get:

Matthews 11.6M UFA 2024

Toronto get:

Hintz 3.2M RFA 2023 Big 1C and PPG+ 2021

Robertson 0.795M RFA 2022 1st liner 0.9PPG

+ capsavings 7.6M !!!
Seriously?? Those guys had good years but to flat out call them 1st liners is a bit ambitious.

You dont justify a Matthews trade with a primary reason being cap savings. Not a good deal.

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Fiala, Kaprizov for Matthews. Or Rossi + Kaprizov.

The gap between Matthews and Kaprizov is bigger than Fiala/Rossi. I dont even think i'd want Kaprizov as a centerpiece given his contract/Russia dispute.

Tor:
Matthews

NSH:
Josi
1st 2022
2nd 2023

Love Josi but given the age gap that wouldnt be enough.

Forsberg (w/extension)
Fabbro
Tomasino
Duchene w/$2m retained
1st rounder

for

Matthews
Holl
Kerfoot

One of the better, well thought out proposals here. Matt Duchene at $6 mil isnt too bad, but the term is concerning. I like it though very reasonable offer.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
While it could be tempting to trade Matthews before he leaves in UFA in 3 years, I don’t think a lot of these offers really do much for Toronto.

Better for them to just go for it the next three years and then enter another rebuild in 2024 when Matthews is gone.

Reactions: DickSmehlik

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Toronto might try and trade him before his NMC kicks in, if they think they will lose him for nothing.

Not if past history tells us anything. Leafs have let every pending UFA walk for nothing, based on the misguided notion that they were needed for a deep playoff run.

If Matthews goes into his final contract year without signing an extension, the GM that has since replaced Dubas decides to hold on to him and the team fails again in the playoffs, expect nothing short of a riot in Toronto.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Rantanen is half the player Matthews is..
The offer from Avs has to be Mack, Rantanen and a first rd pick

whatthef***.gif

MakoSlade

Nov 17, 2005
New York City
His current contract walks him right to UFA, correct? That would scare off the teams that tend to lose UFAs...

NYR should be all over this though!

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I think Arizona is gearing up to make a push for Matthews in 3 years when he is UFA. Get tons of picks this year and next and try to be on the rise in 3 years time. If I am them, everything I do now it is to be good in 3 years time or at least a team that is definitely on the rise with tons of prospects. I’d keep Keller around to help convince Matthews to play there as they are friends. I think this is the approach that Arizona has taken given all the picks they acquired this year and next - to hopefully be an attractive team on the ice in 3 years time. Try to get Bedard or Wright this year or next. Build through the draft for 3 years and then bring in Matthews as UFA

If Arizona has any shot at landing Matthews, this is it.

Reactions: banks and JAK

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Seriously?? Those guys had good years but to flat out call them 1st liners is a bit ambitious.

You dont justify a Matthews trade with a primary reason being cap savings. Not a good deal.

I`m not justifying - I just know Dubas would gladely drive Matthews to the airport if such an offer was on the table! Thats a deal though that never will fall through. Dallas doesnt have a stupid enough GM.

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
I`m not justifying - I just know Dubas would gladely drive Matthews to the airport if such an offer was on the table! Thats a deal though that never will fall through. Dallas doesnt have a stupid enough GM.
"Get in the car Auston! We were just offered Roope Hintz!"

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012

I'm not even sure that offer gets you Eichel. You don't trade a rocket winner for cap space.

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
As a leafs fan, I think trading matthews would be incredibly stupid. But if it were to happen, I’d actually prefer a plethora of futures with Chychrun, then a starting goalie.
You guys will probably re-re-build soon. Or is it re-re-re-re-build???

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad