Line Combos: Make the fourth line great again

Which player plays on 4th when Byron activated

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Holystik

Nov 17, 2018
Mars
I wouldn't want to pay that much for a short term fix.

He is signed for 2 more years after this season. I would not qualify it as a "short fix". Either ways I would not want to overpay for a 4C...

Last edited:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Marcus Johansson-Brassard-Lehkonen

(go with 4 two-way lines that can provide offense and are good defensively).

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
A name I haven't seen for the 4th line C spot, Nate Thompson in LA. He doesn't produce a whole lot (LA is a wretch anyway), but he's something like 53-54%FO this season on average, and plays a gritty game. Pure rental.

Also, and this one is a stretch, but Darren Helm in Detroit. His best years are behind him, last full season he had was in '10-11, and he has a cap hit of 3.85M$/season til '21, but let's say we'd offer Alzner in return, maybe, just maybe he could be useful while our youth overtake his spot... his speed and 2-way play sure would fit our play style. (just not sure if he plays C at all nowadays)

Reactions: Rapala and JuicyHam

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Armia can take it and still be on the PK.

Weise is playing for Laval not Montreal.

That’s the point. A lot of posters are excited like we have the same 4th line player from 5 years ago. He’s garbage now.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Vast improvement from last season. AIAEC

Two years ago the way they played the preseason was a gong show, and last year MB had just too many fringe NHL players fighting for the bottom spots, including of course the 4th line. Basically MB figured competition between I dunno, 20 guys for 5 spots would give you some good players. Nope. What we got was maybe the worst 4th line in hockey and a joke of a bottom D pairing. All these guys got cleared out and it was mostly in season pick ups that took over those spots.

So yes, this 4th line is much better. Needs to produce about 25 goals to the offence, and with Byron hopefully that is on the low end.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Vast improvement from last season. AIAEC
Definitively... Will Thompson follow the pace of his partners?

Two years ago the way they played the preseason was a gong show, and last year MB had just too many fringe NHL players fighting for the bottom spots, including of course the 4th line. Basically MB figured competition between I dunno, 20 guys for 5 spots would give you some good players. Nope. What we got was maybe the worst 4th line in hockey and a joke of a bottom D pairing. All these guys got cleared out and it was mostly in season pick ups that took over those spots.

So yes, this 4th line is much better. Needs to produce about 25 goals to the offence, and with Byron hopefully that is on the low end.
Their inputs would be appreciated... Playing with three lines, it's a unfair handicap. Case closed.

I'd say the 4th line is

Drouin-Kotkaniemi-Armia
With their actual shape, a round trip there is a no-brainer too...

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Byron / Thompson / Weal is a pretty good 4th line if you ask me. It's got skill, speed, and some grit. A 20 goal man on the 4th line in Byron? Probably one of the best 4th line's in hockey. I'd like to see someone show me the contenders?

Habs are built to win with great goaltending, solid D, and a balanced attack 5/5 with all 4 lines. Just wish we had the weapons for our PP... All I'm asking is for a top 15-20 range PP... it that asking for too much? :sarcasm:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
By the way they played in pre-season: YES !
Not to mention their usage - which has a direct correlation to how players play.

It's kind of odd to see people have high expectations for Kotkaniemi's usage suggests we should actually be lowering them.

But hey...on some level, I guess it's totally fair to expect him to put up 50+pts playing 8 mins a game like he did the last preseason game.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Fourth Line Combo (Update #3)

Cousins/Thompson/Weal

If Armia comes back and Tatar's not out, one of those 3 will come out. My guess is Weal.

I think Julien had Armia and Suzuki rotating, because if Armia's ready to go, he's playing with Domi, and Suzuki will take Weal's place on the 4th line.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
If Armia comes back and Tatar's not out, one of those 3 will come out. My guess is Weal.

I think Julien had Armia and Suzuki rotating, because if Armia's ready to go, he's playing with Domi, and Suzuki will take Weal's place on the 4th line.
Wasn't Suzuki practicing with Domi before Tatar went down?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Wasn't Suzuki practicing with Domi before Tatar went down?

yes, but now he's rotating with Armia, now that Armia's about to come back. I would suspect if Armia's good to go, he gets that spot, Suzuki goes to the 4th line, and Weal comes out.

If Tatar's not ready to go, not sure who would slot into the left wing spot with Danault and Gallagher. Suzuki? Armia? Byron? Weal? Lehkonen? Cousins?

Reactions: DangerDave

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad