Make Me a MAN!

M0NTY26

Force from Ma'gorsk
Feb 27, 2010
So, I'm truly embarrassed to say that in all my years, I have never joined a fantasy league, be it hockey, football, baseball... whatever! I know... I should feel shame, right!

Well, thats all going to change today, damnit! No longer will I stand with my front tail tucked! Today, I learn about fantasy hockey and you guys are going to help me become a man!

So explain all of this to me (mainly because I DL'd a new app on my phone that will let me feel like a GM, making moves and such on the mobile.)...

Scoring Type:
-Rotisserie
-Head to Head
-Head to Head - Point Based
-Head to Head - One Win
-Point Based

Draft Type:
-Live Draft
-Live Auction Draft
-Autopick Draft
-Offline Draft

Go ahead and leave your replies... I'll brb, I think I feel hairs growing out of my chest with all this man talk, and I need to go see it in action!

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
So, I'm truly embarrassed to say that in all my years, I have never joined a fantasy league, be it hockey, football, baseball... whatever! I know... I should feel shame, right!

Well, thats all going to change today, damnit! No longer will I stand with my front tail tucked! Today, I learn about fantasy hockey and you guys are going to help me become a man!

So explain all of this to me (mainly because I DL'd a new app on my phone that will let me feel like a GM, making moves and such on the mobile.)...

Scoring Type:
-Rotisserie
-Head to Head
-Head to Head - Point Based
-Head to Head - One Win
-Point Based

Draft Type:
-Live Draft
-Live Auction Draft
-Autopick Draft
-Offline Draft

Go ahead and leave your replies... I'll brb, I think I feel hairs growing out of my chest with all this man talk, and I need to go see it in action!

first, get the music going

-Rotisserie: Full year setup. Week to week doesn't matter at all. Every category is worth a set number of points. Whatever place you get in a category, you get the opposite amount of points. Example: your league has 10 stats and 10 players. If you get first place in a stat, you get 10 points for that stat. If you get 2nd, you get 9 all the way down to 1 point for 10th place. Now add up each stat and you get a total between 10 (last in everything) and 100 (first in everything.) The winner has the most stats to end the year. This is my favorite as far as the actual fantasy hockey goes. Its the least random due to one big sample size for stats, but it loses some of the trash talk that comes with head to head. It keeps a running total throughout the year, but nothing matters until the last day is over.

-Head to Head: You are playing against a specific other player for a week. You can ignore everyone else during that week and only need to beat that player. Broken in to two types. Stat based is how I've always seen hockey. Point based is how I've always seen football.

-Head to Head - Stat based: Similar to rotisserie, everything is based on winning different stats. Again, say there are 10 stat categories in your league. Since its head to head, its just you and one other team. Whoever has more goals wins that category, whoever wins assists wins that, same for hits, shots or whatever you use. So say I win 7 of 10 categories and we tie 1 of 10. I would come out of that week with a 7-2-1 record. So you can have 1000 goals, but if you lose every other stat category, you will be 1-9-0. You need more balance in this method. This is my favorite head to head and after Roto (Rotisserie) my favorite way to play fantasy. If you play with fun people you get some pretty entertaining discussions going on between teams.

-Head to Head - Point Based: Instead of having to win each stat category, every stat is worth some amount of points. This is always how fantasy football works, but I've never seen it used for hockey. So say goals are worth 3 points, assists 2 hits 1 shots 1 etc. You could just get a bunch of goal scorers and ignore the rest. Or do that with any stat. It doesn't require nearly as much strategy. You just need good players, but they can all be the exact same type of player.

-Head to Head - One Win: instead of coming out of a head to head week with something like a 7-2-1 record, its either a win or a loss. This is always how I see football done, but I've never seen it used for the stat based style in hockey. I would only use this if I was using points.

Draft Type:
-Live Draft: You are doing the draft in real time in a chat room basically. Its typically a snake draft so 1st pick in the 1st round is last pick in the 2nd etc.
-Live Auction Draft: Never done an auction draft, but I believe you each get a set amount of points and you bid on players.
-Autopick Draft: You can set up pre draft rankings and the draft is done for you based on either yours or the websites rankings. This is usually used for people that can't make a Live Draft.
-Offline Draft: The draft is done however the league wants; typically in person though. The Commissioner then puts in the draft results manually. I do this for the league with my local friends. We set up a big draft board on excel and put it on the big screen TV. Set up a podium and a timer and everything. Drink some beers and draft some hockey teams.

Last edited:

M0NTY26

Force from Ma'gorsk
Feb 27, 2010
first, get the music going

-Rotisserie: Full year setup. Week to week doesn't matter at all. Every category is worth a set number of points. Whatever place you get in a category, you get the opposite amount of points. Example: your league has 10 stats and 10 players. If you get first place in a stat, you get 10 points for that stat. If you get 2nd, you get 9 all the way down to 1 point for 10th place. Now add up each stat and you get a total between 10 (last in everything) and 100 (first in everything.) The winner has the most stats to end the year. This is my favorite as far as the actual fantasy hockey goes. Its the least random due to one big sample size for stats, but it loses some of the trash talk that comes with head to head. It keeps a running total throughout the year, but nothing matters until the last day is over.

-Head to Head: You are playing against a specific other player for a week. You can ignore everyone else during that week and only need to beat that player. Broken in to two types. Stat based is how I've always seen hockey. Point based is how I've always seen football.

-Head to Head - Stat based: Similar to rotisserie, everything is based on winning different stats. Again, say there are 10 stat categories in your league. Since its head to head, its just you and one other team. Whoever has more goals wins that category, whoever wins assists wins that, same for hits, shots or whatever you use. So say I win 7 of 10 categories and we tie 1 of 10. I would come out of that week with a 7-2-1 record. So you can have 1000 goals, but if you lose every other stat category, you will be 1-9-0. You need more balance in this method. This is my favorite head to head and after Roto (Rotisserie) my favorite way to play fantasy. If you play with fun people you get some pretty entertaining discussions going on between teams.

-Head to Head - Point Based: Instead of having to win each stat category, every stat is worth some amount of points. This is always how fantasy football works, but I've never seen it used for hockey. So say goals are worth 3 points, assists 2 hits 1 shots 1 etc. You could just get a bunch of goal scorers and ignore the rest. Or do that with any stat. It doesn't require nearly as much strategy. You just need good players, but they can all be the exact same type of player.

-Head to Head - One Win: instead of coming out of a head to head week with something like a 7-2-1 record, its either a win or a loss. This is always how I see football done, but I've never seen it used for the stat based style in hockey. I would only use this if I was using points.

Draft Type:
-Live Draft: You are doing the draft in real time in a chat room basically. Its typically a snake draft so 1st pick in the 1st round is last pick in the 2nd etc.
-Live Auction Draft: Never done an auction draft, but I believe you each get a set amount of points and you bid on players.
-Autopick Draft: You can set up pre draft rankings and the draft is done for you based on either yours or the websites rankings. This is usually used for people that can't make a Live Draft.
-Offline Draft: The draft is done however the league wants; typically in person though. The Commissioner then puts in the draft results manually. I do this for the league with my local friends. We set up a big draft board on excel and put it on the big screen TV. Set up a podium and a timer and everything. Drink some beers and draft some hockey teams.

You, sir, are the man. So much so, you were able to loan me some. Now I feel right in the universe!

rahr_yes.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->