Make Ladd the 13th forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
The expectations for 4th overall picks isnt to take a step backwards.

He is well under a ppg and last year he was OVER a ppg.

I think most people had expected Ladd to continue to put up the points this season, not take a huge step backwards.

Just the way I see it though.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
La-La-Laprise said:
The expectations for 4th overall picks isnt to take a step backwards.

He is well under a ppg and last year he was OVER a ppg.

I think most people had expected Ladd to continue to put up the points this season, not take a huge step backwards.

Just the way I see it though.
really, has every 4th overall pick taken huge steps forward ijn the year after? the only negative reports ive seen on ladd this year have been people around here criticising his selection. all the reports ive read on other web sites are saying he has gone sideways, and might have been better served going pro, because his game is more suited to it. who cares what his points are. im a whaler/ canes fan and jeff oneill went 5th to us in 94. he scored something like 140/150 pts a year both before and after his draft year. he didnt do diddly as a pro until he was 24 or 25. was he a waste? was jason bonsignore, the 4th overall pick in that draft a better selection? there is no track record or list of objectives for a 18 year old kid to follow post draft to better avoid critisicms of people who have never, or will ever come close to accomplishing what any of these kids already have.
ps his stats arent nearly bad enough to say he went backwards, and his pm stats would suggest he is working on being a decent all around player with toughness.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
bleedgreen said:
there is no track record or list of objectives for a 18 year old kid to follow post draft to better avoid critisicms of people who have never, or will ever come close to accomplishing what any of these kids already have.

So because I am not as good a hockey player as Andrew Ladd it doesnt give me the right to talk about how his game has gone the last year??

The boards would be VERY slow if we couldnt comment on players better than us.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
La-La-Laprise said:
So because I am not as good a hockey player as Andrew Ladd it doesnt give me the right to talk about how his game has gone the last year??

The boards would be VERY slow if we couldnt comment on players better than us.
the point was that you said he hasnt lived up to be 4th overall. take a look at all the 4th overall picks(or third and fifth for that matter), come back with the stats and lets make an honest judgement on not only what the proper expectations are for the 4th pick in the months being drafted - but lets chart out his whole career. if thats the basis for being against him, back it up so we all know what a 4th overall should doing at this point. despite of being the only forward from the 04 draft(obviously crosby is another young player) to even make this team, he still gets nothing but greif from people. these are exhibition games for the love of god. who knows what sutter told him or any of them to do.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
bleedgreen said:
the point was that you said he hasnt lived up to be 4th overall. take a look at all the 4th overall picks(or third and fifth for that matter), come back with the stats and lets make an honest judgement on not only what the proper expectations are for the 4th pick in the months being drafted - but lets chart out his whole career. if thats the basis for being against him, back it up so we all know what a 4th overall should doing at this point. despite of being the only forward from the 04 draft(obviously crosby is another young player) to even make this team, he still gets nothing but greif from people. these are exhibition games for the love of god. who knows what sutter told him or any of them to do.

Maybe i expected more of Ladd. Everyone has thier opinion.

Him being a surprise on the scene last year has me skeptical. No on even knew who Andrew Ladd was when he was 16 and 17. Then All of a sudden at 18 he rips up the WHL. The same for Benoit Pouliot this year. People have him ranked so high. For all we know he could be a 1 year wonder, like I THINK Ladd will be. Many will disagree with me though.

tomerez

Mar 16, 2003
Toronto, ON
Visit site
La-La-Laprise said:

Him being a surprise on the scene last year has me skeptical. No on even knew who Andrew Ladd was when he was 16 and 17. Then All of a sudden at 18 he rips up the WHL. The same for Benoit Pouliot this year. People have him ranked so high. For all we know he could be a 1 year wonder, like I THINK Ladd will be. Many will disagree with me though.

It's not exactly a piece of cake to do what Ladd did last year. Granted he did have some help with Getzlaf there, one does need a tremendous amount of skill to amount to his totals. If he was capable of doing what he did, then I'm sure he's capable of something worthwhile in his career.. but whether that means NHL for him or not is something no one can predict, and only take a chance on him, like the Canes did... and like 29 other teams do every year

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
La-La-Laprise said:

thats the best reponse youve had - its honest. i have no problem with you thinking it was too much too soon, and he hasnt done enough for you personally to think he will be whatever apparantly aa 4th overall should be. i responded to you because you jumped on his back with everyone else for a pretty weak reason. i think you cant judge anyone at 19/20 as people in general, let alone on what kind of hockey players they will be at 25. some of my response were to everyone, not just you. imo, he was a worthy selection at his spot, and only time will tell anyway.

Dion Mustard*

Andrew_11 said:
Perry has impressed even though i'm not a fan of his.

Put me on a line with Crosby and Beregon and I'd impress you too.

Prucha73

tomerez said:
It's not exactly a piece of cake to do what Ladd did last year. Granted he did have some help with Getzlaf there, one does need a tremendous amount of skill to amount to his totals. If he was capable of doing what he did, then I'm sure he's capable of something worthwhile in his career.. but whether that means NHL for him or not is something no one can predict, and only take a chance on him, like the Canes did... and like 29 other teams do every year

there is an endless list of players who accomplished far more in the juniors and haven't amounted to much in the pros.

Stoags

Oct 22, 2002
Glencoe, Ont.
Visit site
Dion Mustard said:
Put me on a line with Crosby and Beregon and I'd impress you too.

Wow what a surprise Dion again disrespecting a London Knight, even on this subject you make no sense, I guess you did not see the highlights of the training camp , or the past 2 games, Perry has played well, and has earned more ice time, only one guy in the CHL is posting better numbers, and Perry is not a one year wonder, he was among the best the past 2 years. I will admit I did not think Perry would make the team, he is not a great skater and his balance sucks, but there is no arguing his hands and his on ice vision, judging what I have seen the past 2 games Perry can hold his own and should be playing with these 2 guys, although I have no problem with him playing with Crosby and Bergeron on the PP, and moving him to another line to balance the scoring..

tomerez

Mar 16, 2003
Toronto, ON
Visit site
What's everyone's thoughts on Ladd's performance today?

I think he just looks out of place, he got an assist on Carter's goal but it wasn't anything impressive, just a short pass. He coughed up the puck a couple times and at one point he iced it for absolutely no reason.. I believe he was trying to dump it in but he was still a step or two on the wrong side of the red line.

His play leads me to believe he may be showing signs of nervousness?

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
tomerez said:
What's everyone's thoughts on Ladd's performance today?

I think he just looks out of place, he got an assist on Carter's goal but it wasn't anything impressive, just a short pass. He coughed up the puck a couple times and at one point he iced it for absolutely no reason.. I believe he was trying to dump it in but he was still a step or two on the wrong side of the red line.

His play leads me to believe he may be showing signs of nervousness?

Well he impressed me on the penalty kill, and I thought he was a lot more aggresive today. But he still isn't impressing me on that scoring line with Carter and Getzlaf. I agree that he just looks out of place there.

Here's to hoping that Colliton can recover and Ladd can be used strictly as someone who can get Penalty killing time, and to jump start physical play if its needed on one of the 4 lines.

Dion Mustard*

Stoags said:
Wow what a surprise Dion again disrespecting a London Knight, even on this subject you make no sense, I guess you did not see the highlights of the training camp , or the past 2 games,

I see once again a Knight fan missing the point and getting too worked up about something they don't understand.

No where in my statement did I say anything disrespecting to Corey Perry. I said Crosby and Bergeron are so good, and have such a great chemistry together that pretty much anybody could be added and they'd do well. Put me on a line with Perry and Schremp in London and I'd rack up points too. When you put 2 high end players together, there is a real good chance the 3rd member will benefit greatly.

Here's a less complicated way of putting it;

Take Perry off the Bergeron/Crosby line. Does that line struggle, or does it continue to click? Smart money is the latter.

Put Perry on another line. Does Perry turn that line into the best line on the team, or is it possible that line stays as the 2nd line or worse? Again, smart money is on the latter.

Crosby and Bergeron make that line. Perry does make it better, but by no means does that mean no one else couldn't do the same.

Perry has played well, and has earned more ice time, only one guy in the CHL is posting better numbers, and Perry is not a one year wonder, he was among the best the past 2 years.

BTW, Corey Locke wasn't a one year wonder, and he never made the WJC team.

I will admit I did not think Perry would make the team, he is not a great skater and his balance sucks, but there is no arguing his hands and his on ice vision, judging what I have seen the past 2 games Perry can hold his own and should be playing with these 2 guys, although I have no problem with him playing with Crosby and Bergeron on the PP, and moving him to another line to balance the scoring..

Think maybe that's why he was cut last year (ie bigger ice surface making a weak skater look worse)? Think maybe his slow foot speed may be a problem against a faster team, and might mean he goes back to the 13th forward position.

Please, from now on, don't look at Corey Perry from the London Knights (a team you've supported loyally over the last 2 years), look at him as the guy on Team Canada wearing number 24. In other words, take the rose coloured glasses off when evaluating hockey players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->