Post-Game Talk: Make it 8-2-2: Canucks 2, Wild 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pseudonymous*

Is there a chance garrison is the odd man out this offseason and not ballard?, Sounds crazy but ballard has been so damn good this year.

Nope. Even with a good year, he wont put himself ahead of Garrison. IMO

All hes doing is raising his trade value :) Like Luongo

mavstar

No expectations
Aug 12, 2011
Vancouver
Anyone else notice all the audible trash-talk in this game? I think it was because of Ferraro between the benches, it was hilarious. I heard Burrows or Lapierre scream "That's bullsh_t you f_cking f_aggot!" at some Wild player, and much more.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Best thing about this game was how great Schroeder looked under pressure and physicality. He matched Raymond and Hansen (who played pissed) stride for stride.

CanucksOo

Jul 29, 2006
California
I don't think he moves the puck quick enough for a PP though. He's a really good passer but he usually has to think his passes through before making them.
I was one of the ones that suggested to try out Tanev. I think his vision and passing ability would make him a good fit with Garrison on the PP. He's a very smart player and usually makes the smart play. I think he has the tools to become a pretty decent playmaking PP QB. And one things for certain, he'll be passing it off to Garrison way more than shooting. Just what the doctor ordered :laugh:

Maybe someone who watched the Wolves could shed some light as to how Tanev fared playing on the PP. Was he setting up Connauton, like how we'd like Garrison to be setup?

Last edited:

StringerBell

I actually think our probelm on the PP is not passing, we pass to much, its getting shots on net, but i havent said anything because people keep bringing up PP QB like erhoff, so maybe im wrong in my thinking.

The two are related. The passing isn't quick/crisp enough to open up shooting lanes. It seems like the opposing PK's are bearing down on the points more than they did last year since everything is being run from high on the half wall. I'd like to see the Sedins control the play closer to the goal line more and get good, hard passes back to the points for one timers. If the defenders keep playing the points tight it should open up room down low/in front of the net for chances.

AmazingNuck

Mar 27, 2010
Vancouver
Before the season, I really hoped that Gillis would not succumb to the pressure and deal Luongo and I'm glad that he did not. Luongo and Schneider are so integral to the team's success. Having two excellent starting goaltenders really takes the pressure off of the goaltenders and the defense. How many defenses can say they play 82 games in front of a #1 goaltender?

Playing the back-up has always been a huge disadvantage. Some teams might walk out with a higher winning percentage with their back up than their starter, but it's quite rare. Most of the time, teams will give up about 8-10 points over the course of the season because their back up just isn't as good as their starting goaltender. Having the 2 starting goaltenders gives us a big bonus in that sense because, in today's NHL, it's tighter than ever and 8-10 extra points is the difference between home-ice advantage and missing the playoffs.

Very impressed with that Kassian goal. He was calm with the puck, kept his head up, and made an excellent pass. He reminds me of Clowe, but without the anger/nastiness.

Nuck Bonino

May 10, 2011
For you guys pouring it on on Koivu:

1:46

:laugh:

simpsons_nelson_haha2.jpg

Nov 1, 2011
I hope someone goes ape **** over the reffing tonight. That was brutal*despite the win.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I actually think our probelm on the PP is not passing, we pass to much, its getting shots on net, but i havent said anything because people keep bringing up PP QB like erhoff, so maybe im wrong in my thinking.

PP QB should create more shots by moving the D around and getting the puck to people in better spots to shoot (see Campbell creating space and shots for Garrison in Florida) and also shooting himself. Ehrhoff shot a lot.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I am hard on manny, and maybe when kesler comes back we wont miss him, but right now the two games hes missed (san jose, minny) i have missed him.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
PP QB should create more shots by moving the D around and getting the puck to people in better spots to shoot (see Campbell creating space and shots for Garrison in Florida) and also shooting himself. Ehrhoff shot a lot.

I see openings though but they are passed up for more passes, i know a few times tonight people were calling for a shot, we get to cute.

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008

Ehrhoff is a smart shooter. He knows when to shoot, and how to shoot. He's definitely in the top 5 defensemen powerplay players.

YogiCanucks

Jan 1, 2007
Vancouver BC
How people think a PP QB is the solution to our PP problems is beyond me. Sedin's run the first powerplay unit and the 2nd unit doesn't matter.

StringerBell

Where is he? Another eye issue?

Kesler's playing the next game and Manny's getting sent down. AV and Gillis gave him the week off to spend time with his wife and baby before he goes on the road for a few months.

Is my personal speculation.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
The PP misses him so badly, I miss him so much. Garrison can't even lace Ehrhoff's skates.

I think we give erhoffs memory more credit then he deserves, our PP was not great in playoffs even with him in 2011, we went in a drought, and the start/first half of 2011-2012 season we had the best pp in the league without him, and Im not sure if he is helping buffalos pp either.

That wont be a popular opinion around here though.

StringerBell

I think we give erhoffs memory more credit then he deserves, our PP was not great in playoffs even with him in 2011, and Im not sure if he is helping buffalos pp either.

That wont be a popular opinion around here though.

Definitely helped with zone entries. Probably over-credited in the actual set up though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->