Post-Game Talk: Make it 8-2-2: Canucks 2, Wild 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
nBoKDTS.jpg

Still love this NHL pun, Kassian was solid again today.

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
I think we give erhoffs memory more credit then he deserves, our PP was not great in playoffs even with him in 2011, we went in a drought, and the start of 2012 we had the best pp in the league without him, and Im not sure if he is helping buffalos pp either.

That wont be a popular opinion around here though.

Kesler, Henrik, Ehrhoff, Edler all injured.

4/5 of our top unit.

John Bender*

Kesler's playing the next game and Manny's getting sent down. AV and Gillis gave him the week off to spend time with his wife and baby before he goes on the road for a few months.

Is my personal speculation.

I almost wondered if it was a healthy scratch situation and they did not want to embarass him.

ZenMaster*

Malhotra has been pushed off the team by Schroeder. Kesler is nearing his return so it likely what Higgins brother said is true, he's being sent down.

AmazingNuck

Mar 27, 2010
Vancouver
How people think a PP QB is the solution to our PP problems is beyond me. Sedin's run the first powerplay unit and the 2nd unit doesn't matter.

:help: I really hope this is sarcasm, but the 2nd unit definitely matters- ESPECIALLY on our team. The reason that the 2nd unit matters is because the 2nd unit has to protect the 1st unit. Imagine if the Sedins are in the middle of a very long shift where they've played in the offensive zone for about 1:30 and probably need a good rest.. then, the defending team would not have to worry as much about taking a penalty because they know that 1) the 2nd unit is useless and 2) that the Sedins will still be tired for their next shift.

The idea of protecting your best player is a concept common to every single sport. The 4th batter (in this case, 1st unit PP) on most baseball teams is the best batter on the team. The 5th batter, (in this case, the 2nd unit PP) must be good so that the pitcher (defending team) can't pitch around / walk / play too aggressively (commit a penalty in the middle of a long Sedin shift, play the Sedins over aggressively, only having to worry about playing the PK for 1 minute) against the best player.

The Sedins are not out for 2 minutes every powerplay. They are out for about 1:10, unless they have a good shift, in which case they'll have about 1:30. Unfortunately, the reason that the 2nd PP unit doesn't do so well is because the PP is so focused on making the Sedins produce.

How many times does the first unit come out regardless of how recent the last Sedin shift was? How many times does the 2nd unit only come out after 1:20 of the PP is gone? The 2nd unit is struggling because as soon as they set up, they usually only have about 20 seconds on the PP. Yes, we have to give prime minutes to the first unit, but the second unit has to be given some time to produce because it's essential for the 2nd unit to produce.

John Bender*

Malhotra has been pushed off the team by Schroeder. Kesler is nearing his return so it likely what Higgins brother said is true, he's being sent down.

Malhotra would retire before he got sent down - or at the very least refuse to report. He could still get work somewhere else.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Blake price is arguing with a caller wether he was actually at the game...

Incredible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad