Make Carolina a Cup Team

echlfreak

Aug 1, 2003
Chance in a shortened season to make Carolina a cup team...within reason!

Trade

Dalpe
Boucher...depietro will be injured
2nd rd pick...same price they gave Anaheim

For

Vishnovsky...he doesn't want to play there anyways
Boyes

Trade

Pitkanen...they need a #2 to play with Suter and pitkanen is a fair price
Stewart
Boychuk
4th round pick

To Minny for

Setoguchi
Cullen

Gives you...

Boyes, Vishnovsky, Cullen are all in last year of their contracts and with a shortened season their cap hits are less than full value

Boyes with $1m cap hit should be a target for sure!!!

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Jussi*Jokinen ($3.000m) / Eric*Staal ($8.250m) / Alexander*Semin ($7.000m)
Jeff*Skinner ($1.400m) / Jordan*Staal ($4.000m) / Brad*Boyes ($1.000m)
Devin*Setoguchi ($3.000m) / Matt*Cullen ($3.500m) / Chad*Larose ($1.700m)
Jiri*Tlusty ($1.600m) / Tim*Brent ($0.750m) / Patrick*Dwyer ($0.625m)
Tuomo*Ruutu ($4.750m) / Andreas*Nodl ($0.845m)
DEFENSEMEN
Joni*Pitkanen ($4.500m) / Lubomir*Visnovsky ($5.600m)
Tim*Gleason ($4.000m) / Justin*Faulk ($0.900m)
Jamie*McBain ($1.800m) / Joe*Corvo ($2.000m)
Jay*Harrison ($0.700m) /
GOALTENDERS
Cam*Ward ($6.300m)
Justin*Peters ($0.538m)
BUYOUTS
Derek*Joslin ($0.075m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,832,500; BONUSES: $560,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $2,927,500

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
A) Tlusty won't be playing on this team's 4th line

B) You traded Pitkanen to Minnesota, yet left him on our roster

C) No thanks to having Cullen here again

Not trying to sound harsh, I'm just pointing out a few snags in your proposals.

echlfreak

Aug 1, 2003
Understandable...pitkanen was a mistake

Sign Campoli cheap as an extra D

Cullen familiar with Carolina would be a good fit

Tlusty is not much more than a 4th liner on a cup team

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Tlusty is not much more than a 4th liner on a cup team

He's ready for a breakout season. Honestly if I could tab someone for a preseason "most improved award", it'd be him. As much flack as JR gets, he really did fleece Toronto in that one. And yes, that is somewhat high expectations, but he's still fairly young and can at the least provide steady defense on the PK.

Also, as enamored as everyone was with Brandon Sutter, career PPG:

Sutter: .374
Tlusty: .324

5 more points a season for Sutter over an 82 game season. But Tlusty is trending up while Sutter has been trending down a bit (offensively) since his sophomore season.

Tlusty was a first round pick for a reason. I think he's finally putting it together.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Also, as enamored as everyone was with Brandon Sutter, career PPG:

Sutter: .374
Tlusty: .324

5 more points a season for Sutter over an 82 game season. But Tlusty is trending up while Sutter has been trending down a bit (offensively) since his sophomore season.

I think that's a very misleading comparison, as people weren't enamored with Sutter only for points, it was his overall game..especially defensively. While I also like the progression Tlusty has made and have decent expectations for him this year, a PPG comparison to Sutter isn't really valid given the role Brandon was asked to play. With linemates like Dwyer and Nodl and asked to go up against the other team's top line as a checking line (and only getting 25 seconds a game on the PP), he's not going to score much. Tlusy's "breakout" season came when he was put on Staal's line. Quite a big difference.

The one year where he wasn't in a strictly defensive role and saw some PP time, Sutter had 21G and 40 points. I'm pretty confident that he he was used in a more offensive role, his PPG average would be considerably higher.

Reactions: MinJaBen

dammit100

Nov 5, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Gotta hate on the NYI trade. Let's see if Dalpe can impress in camp and how he might fare in a scoring role before trading him for a guy who wants to stay in the KHL and Boyes (who sucked last year). We don't need MORE reclamation projects.

Get Ryan O'Reilly.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
I think that's a very misleading comparison, as people weren't enamored with Sutter only for points, it was his overall game..especially defensively. While I also like the progression Tlusty has made and have decent expectations for him this year, a PPG comparison to Sutter isn't really valid given the role Brandon was asked to play. With linemates like Dwyer and Nodl and asked to go up against the other team's top line as a checking line (and only getting 25 seconds a game on the PP), he's not going to score much. Tlusy's "breakout" season came when he was put on Staal's line. Quite a big difference.

The one year where he wasn't in a strictly defensive role and saw some PP time, Sutter had 21G and 40 points. I'm pretty confident that he he was used in a more offensive role, his PPG average would be considerably higher.

Sutter has played with the same Staal as Tlusty in the past and didn't make near the impact that Jiri did. And when he wasn't playing with Staal, Tlusty wasn't getting much better linemates either while only getting :25 seconds more PP time than Sutter. And that can be almost balanced out by Sutter getting 1:30 more even strength time than Tlusty.

I realize that Sutter brought more to the team than just points, but I was just throwing it out there to put it in perspective a bit. While great defensively, Sutter is looking more John Madden than Rod Brind'amour at this point. Tlusty is no slouch defensively (though obviously not as good) and is looking like he can find his scoring touch as well. Yet one was a fan favorite, hate to see him go because he was so good type and one is an after thought with most fans. I liked Sutter too, but is he really *that* much better than Tlusty is or can be? I don't think so.

*Yes I fully realize Sutter can improve too and probably will with the Penguins, but as of right now, I think we really overrated Sutter around here compared to a guy like Tlusty.

Lazyking

Never Forget
Oct 15, 2011
Connecticut
one or two moves and this team COULD be a cup team especially if Cam plays up to his ability. Another scorer/third line center.. Defensive defensemen.. boom cup team

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Sutter has played with the same Staal as Tlusty in the past and didn't make near the impact that Jiri did. And when he wasn't playing with Staal, Tlusty wasn't getting much better linemates either while only getting :25 seconds more PP time than Sutter. And that can be almost balanced out by Sutter getting 1:30 more even strength time than Tlusty.

I recall Sutter getting a few games here and there with Staal, but not an extended, consistent 30 game stretch on that line like Tlusty did. And I disagree that saying Sutter's even strength time evens it out..he was in a checking line role against the other teams top lines with little talent on the wings.

Anyhow, I like Tlusty so I agree with you about his potential for a breakout season. He's young, has a good all around game, and some decent skills and if he can stay healthy, I can seem him putting up some points this year. I can also see him being more offensively productive than Sutter, so won't argue that. My only comment was that making a comparison to Sutter's PPG total isn't very valid as they were used in 2 totally different ways with totally different linemates.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Any offense Sutter provides is a bonus, since he hasn't been put in a position to succeed offensively aside from his sophomore year. He started in the offensive zone less while facing tougher competition while consistently playing with worse linemates last season. And still put up only three less even strength points. Not trying to take anything away from Tlusty, since I really like him, and I do think he has more offensive potential than Sutter does in the long run, but I think you're selling Sutter a bit shore here.

La Huracanista

Nov 28, 2009
Raleigh
Gotta hate on the NYI trade. Let's see if Dalpe can impress in camp and how he might fare in a scoring role before trading him for a guy who wants to stay in the KHL and Boyes (who sucked last year). We don't need MORE reclamation projects.

Get Ryan O'Reilly.

YES. Ryan O'Reilly might be the next two-way force in the NHL. A guy who plays Brandon Sutter minutes but puts up top 6 numbers.

would be so worth it.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Sutter was actually served as a decent fillin at 1c 3? years ago during a Staal injury.

Was only a handful of games, but he was the highlight of watching the team during that stretch. Saw a lot of things we only got to see glimpses of since as he settled into the defensive only role.

Someday, he'll get his shot. Probably sooner rather than later, with the fragility of the Penguins.

As for Tlusty, he was stuck in the same no-win situations as Sutter most of the year. Then he got his shot, and went on a pretty solid goal scoring streak.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->