Make a team with players 6'4" and over

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Harder than you would think. You assume that while 6'4" is tall in the NHL it isn't THAT tall that you don't have a wealth of players to choose from. But they didn't roll of my tongue like I thought they would, some positions were easier than others.

Lecavalier-Lemieux-Sundin
Nash-Lindros-Getzlaf
E. Staal-Thornton-Arnott
P. Mahovlich-Linden-Holik
Andreychuk

Pronger-Blake
Robinson-Chara
Hedman-Burns
D. Hatcher-K. Hatcher

Dryden
Rinne
Burke

Yeah............no kidding. Okay, so you think to yourself, well, there weren't a lot of players before, say, the 1980s that were 6'4". In fact on this list there are only three. But from the 1990s onward there would be a ton right? After all, this is what GMs wanted! Yeah..........no. Not like there aren't some HHOFers on this list but the lack of depth is what astounds me. Lemieux and Lindros were two very injury prone players and if they go down this team is in trouble. I had to have a checking line, so that is the 4th line with Linden and Holik in there. May as well have some sound defensive guys in there as well as Pete Mahovlich who could kill penalties. You probably think this means I am leaving some offensive guys out but I'm not. When I first did this list I had Jason Arnott in the back of my head but that he is a longshot to even be an alternate yet there he is on my 3rd line. Another thing, it was not easy finding left shooting forwards.

Maybe I am missing someone, but try to find better defensemen. Again, nothing wrong with the first two pairings, but I had to find current players just to make this team up and nothing against the Hatcher brothers but I had to add them too. Honestly, I couldn't find anyone better.

Dryden, Rinne and Burke are the best goalies out there. Ben Bishop might have been the next best one.

One thing with this team is that they would be able to wear other teams down pretty badly. The defense is physical and big (of course) and so are the forwards. The big problem here is that they lack quickness. Not that they can't skate, but the likes of Lindros and Lemieux had gears and strides that made them fast. They don't have the quick shiftiness of someone like a Martin St. Louis or a Sidney Crosby. The "shiftiest" on that team is probably Lecavalier. Big players just aren't known for being quick in small spots. So the lack of foot speed would kill them but their long reach might make up for it a bit.

Lots of them can fight too. Robinson, Pronger, Lindros, Chara are all quite feared on an all-time list. Others like Thornton and Lecavalier can throw them if they have to. Throw in Derian Hatcher in that pack as well. This team would never be intimidated but they wouldn't fare well against a team with players 6'3" and under because many of them are big and tough too (Gordie Howe) and there are other elements they bring to the table.

So there you have it, there is a surprisingly small number of all-time greats who were at least 6'4". I almost added Keith Primeau.

There are only 3 players who are at least 6'4" who cracked 1,000 points out of 87.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Kevin Hatcher is at 75 inch on NHL.com Shea Weber at 76 could take is place.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I'd pick Shea Weber, isn't he 6' 4''? Must be damn close.

What about Serge Savard? Must be close too, though probably 6'3'' or something.

Carey Price is another guy who must be close.

Béliveau? If he could make it, that would solve a lot of problems.

Not sure we can trust the official heights to the inch.

Last edited:

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
Heatley and Lecavalier are listed as 6'4 on several sites. Big Buff is another one.

Sorry

May 18, 2005
Instantly thought Tim Kerr as 4th line center but he was only 6’-3”?! I thought he was 6’-5”.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Didn't see any source to the effect that Serge Savard was an inch over 6'3. However, Shea Weber is frequently 6'4 and would make it.

And WTH with Lucic anyways? He's a better puncher than Holik, but that's the pretty lone advantage he has, AND Holik would also be a superb backup C in case of need.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Didn't see any source to the effect that Serge Savard was an inch over 6'3. However, Shea Weber is frequently 6'4 and would make it.

And WTH with Lucic anyways? He's a better puncher than Holik, but that's the pretty lone advantage he has, AND Holik would also be a superb backup C in case of need.

holik has the defense advantage, Lucic has the physical advantage, theyre even offensively (0.57ppg holik vs 0.59ppg Lucic)

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
holik has the defense advantage, Lucic has the physical advantage, theyre even offensively (0.57ppg holik vs 0.59ppg Lucic)

...Take Lucic if you want. I'm totally leaving him to you. You'll just make your team weaker.

GJB

Dr. Hook
Aug 12, 2002
Reposting my team here:

6'4 and Above Team

Goalies

Ken Dryden - 6'4
Pekka Rinne - 6'5
Ben Bishop - 6'7

Defense
Chris Pronger 6'6 - Zdeno Chara 6'9
Brent Burns 6'5 - Larry Robinson 6'4
Shea Weber 6'4 - Victor Hedman 6'6
Tyler Myers 6'8 / Derian Hatcher 6'5

Forwards
Pete Mahovlich 6'5 - Mario Lemieux 6'4 - Mats Sundin 6'5
Dave Andreychuk 6'4 - Eric Lindros 6'4 - Ryan Getzlaf 6'4
Bobby Smith 6'4 - Joe Thornton 6'4 - Vincent Lecavalier 6'4
Rick Nash 6'4 - Jason Arnott 6'5 - Patrik Laine 6'5
Blake Wheeler 6'5 / Mikko Rantanen 6'4

Honorable Mentions
F Keith Primeau 6'5
F Eric Staal 6'4
F Jordan Staal 6'4
F Joel Otto 6'4
F Eric Daze 6'6
F Trevor Linden 6'4
F Jeff Carter 6'4
F Michal Handzus 6'5
F Viktor Kozlov 6'4
F Johan Franzen 6'4
F Bobby Holik 6'4
F Viktor Kozlov 6'4
F Nikolai Antropov 6'6
F Chris Gratton 6'4
F Mark Stone 6'4

D Dustin Byfuglien 6'5
D Pavel Kubina 6'4
D Jay Bouwmeester 6'4
D Vladimir Malakhov 6'4
D Filip Kuba 6'4
D Mattias Ohlund 6'4
D Uwe Krupp 6'6
D Dion Phaneuf 6'4
D Seth Jones 6'4
D Aaron Ekblad 6'4

G Devan Dubnyk 6'6
G Sean Burke 6'4
G Kari Lehtonen 6'4
G Mike Smith 6'5
G Martin Jones 6'4
G Frederik Andersen 6'4

Goon Squad
John Scott 6'8
Steve McKenna 6'8
Mitch Fritz 6'8
Derek Boogaard 6'7
Peter Worrell 6'7
Eric Cairns 6'6
David Koci 6'6
Dave Brown 6'5
Stu Grimson 6'5
Enrico Ciccone 6'5
Scott Parker 6'5
George Parros 6'5

Star Players at 6'3 (Below Cut-off)
F Brendan Shanahan
F Jean Beliveau
F Alexander Ovechkin
F Evgeni Malkin
F Ilya Kovalchuk
F John LeClair
F Corey Perry
F Jaromir Jagr
F Anze Kopitar
F Jason Spezza
F Dany Heatley
F Andrew Ladd
F James van Riemsdyk
F Ron Francis
F Tomas Sandstrom
F Peter McNab
F Alexei Yashin
F Todd Bertuzzi
F Olli Jokinen
F Kevin Stevens
F Petr Nedved
F Tim Kerr
F Clark Gillies
F Charlie Simmer
F Bob Probert
F Mike Modano
F Mikko Koivu
F Mark Scheifele
F Aleksander Barkov
F Auston Matthews

D Sandis Ozolinsh
D Kevin Hatcher
D Rob Blake
D Brent Seabrook
D Serge Savard
D Ed Jovanovski
D Al Iafrate
D Rod Langway
D Sami Salo
D Kenny Jonsson
D Chris Phillips
D John Carlson
D Alex Pietrangelo

G Roberto Luongo
G Ron Hextall
G Tuukka Rask
G Ilya Bryzgalov
G Andrei Vasilevskiy
G Tom Barrasso
G Olaf Kolzig
G Carey Price

Last edited:

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
I thought about Big Train Lionel Conacher but he wasn't that tall.

Then fellow HHOFer Howard McNamara or his twin brother, but even these giants of their era come up a bit short.

HHOFer Big Yak Alex Yakushev... no, darn not 6'4.

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
Defenseman Hal Gill is listed as 6'7 and Centers Nik Antropov and Brian Boyle are both 6'6. I thought Bob Probert, but I see him listed as 6'3. All these guys were left handed btw.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
The big question is, would the 6'4 and over team beat the 5'9 and under team?

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
The big question is, would the 6'4 and over team beat the 5'9 and under team?
Not a chance!

Too many HHOF greats: Howie Morenz, Stan Mikita, Ted Lindsay, Henri Richard, Newsy Lalonde, Valeri Kharlamov, Aurel Joliat, Cyclone Taylor, Boom Boom Geoffrion, Max Bentley, Marcel Dionne, Cy Denneny, Dace Keon, King Clancy, Turk Broda, Frank Brimsek, George Hainsworth...

(But if you made it 6'3 and over vs. 5'8 and under there would be a chance.)

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Not a chance!

Too many HHOF greats: Howie Morenz, Stan Mikita, Ted Lindsay, Henri Richard, Newsy Lalonde, Valeri Kharlamov, Aurel Joliat, Cyclone Taylor, Boom Boom Geoffrion, Max Bentley, Marcel Dionne, Cy Denneny, Dace Keon, King Clancy, Turk Broda, Frank Brimsek, George Hainsworth...

Theo Fleury

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
Theo Fleury
I was simply looking at HHOFers.

Frank Nighbor, Doug Bentley, Charlie Gardiner, .. the list goes on...

Plus some more great defensemen:
Eddie Gerard, Carl Brewer, Buck Boucher, Jan Suchy,...

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Come on guys. No love for enforcers? Grimson, Boogaard, Parker, McGrattan, etc.

For a team that already has Chara (one of the most feared fighter ever), Robinson, Lindros, Hatcher, etc... with no small player, sound a bit overkill.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->