Make a bold prediction

jolly roger

Aug 4, 2013
That is the bold prediction yes, I believe this is the year he makes a hockey trade for a defenseman and AA will be appealing to other teams.

My prediction is that he ****s with both Tatar and AA on their contracts and ends up trading one or both of them before the season starts. I'd say Montreal, Pittsburgh and now Carolina are logical places for speed and skill versus Kenny's ******** "stock" club of good old boys.

Seider Town

Aug 9, 2014
USA
Svechnikov plays at least 50 games in Detroit and puts up at least 30 points
Mantha scores 25+
Wings sneak into the playoffs

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
My prediction is that he ****s with both Tatar and AA on their contracts and ends up trading one or both of them before the season starts. I'd say Montreal, Pittsburgh and now Carolina are logical places for speed and skill versus Kenny's ******** "stock" club of good old boys.

AA on Pittsburgh would be insane. Yikes..

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006

Can you imagine the hate if this happens?

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Can you imagine the hate if this happens?

If it gets us good picks and/or a young top3 d-man, I'm happy. Tatar is like 26. We probably won't be ready to contend again until he's 30. I'm fine with shipping him out for good return. With AA I doubt we get as good a return, so I say we hold onto him and see exactly what he is. Plus he's much younger than Tatar. If he turns into a bonafide star, we can keep or trade for a top pairing guy. If he taps out as a middle six winger, meh. But I don't think any GM around the league thinks so highly of him right now that they're willing to part with a high first or a top pairing d-man for him right now.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I think Rasmussen is a high floor, lower ceiling guy. Safe bet to be at least a bottom 6er with his size, but I really don't see the skills to be more than a 2nd liner, barring some kind of explosion in his playmaking.

I'm kind of nitpicking here, but the fact that it seems everyone describes Rasmussen as a "low ceiling" guy drives me crazy.

He is a 6'6'' guy who is athletically gifted and can skate. His "ceiling" is as high as it can possibly be. He has the things that can't be taught or learned and can possibly give him a huge advantage.

You can give him a .01% chance of reaching it if that's what you think, but his ceiling is far from low.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'm kind of nitpicking here, but the fact that it seems everyone describes Rasmussen as a "low ceiling" guy drives me crazy.

He is a 6'6'' guy who is athletically gifted and can skate. His "ceiling" is as high as it can possibly be. He has the things that can't be taught or learned and can possibly give him a huge advantage.

You can give him a .01% chance of reaching it if that's what you think, but his ceiling is far from low.

So your argument is essentially height can't be taught, he has height, therefore he has a high ceiling?

Really when I said lower ceiling (notice I didn't even say low), I said not more than a 2nd liner. Meaning I see him as either a 2nd or 3rd liner, which is about normal for a #9 pick, actually. Wasn't like I said I think he'll be a 4th liner, or bust completely. But I do think there were higher upside options with where we picked (Vilardi, Necas, Suzuki).

I like his scoring potential, I think he can be a 25-25 guy all day. To be a first liner he'd probably have to be more like a 25-40 or 25-50 guy, and I don't know that he has that kind of playmaking ability. I like his ability to protect the puck (which a lot of our guys can't do), but don't really think he is a dynamic puckhandler or that he has that vision to anticipate plays in an exceptional way.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
So your argument is essentially height can't be taught, he has height, therefore he has a high ceiling?

Essentially, yes.

Size and athleticism can obviously be extremely useful tools, especially when you have them both.

Ceiling is the best a player can turn out.

To look at a player who has physical tools that virtually no one else in the league has and say, "the best he can possibly turn out is a 2nd or 3rd line guy" just doesn't make sense to me.

But like I said, I am nitpicking. And really, nitpicking the term "ceiling"

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
If players were done developing by their draft year, you wouldn't see big name pro players chosen in the second round, third round, etc. There would be no Getzlafs, no Ryan O'Reilly's or Shea Webers selected in later rounds

FWIW, Getzlaf was not only a 1st rounder, but a 2003 1st no less.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
I like his scoring potential, I think he can be a 25-25 guy all day. To be a first liner he'd probably have to be more like a 25-40 or 25-50 guy, and I don't know that he has that kind of playmaking ability. I like his ability to protect the puck (which a lot of our guys can't do), but don't really think he is a dynamic puckhandler or that he has that vision to anticipate plays in an exceptional way.

And to add, from what I've seen, he looks like he's better suited as a winger.

I would not call him a playmaker by any means, I agree.

Ennui

I like our team?
Aug 13, 2008
Living in the past
www.fsb.ru
FWIW, Getzlaf was not only a 1st rounder, but a 2003 1st no less.

I was aware that he went 19th, I mentioned Getzlaf because he is a size/position comparable who was clearly passed up way more than he should have been in the draft. Had he fully indicated with his amateur play the kind of player that he would become, he would never have made it to 19th. The point is that there was clearly some significant post-draft development with Getzlaf, his play or statistics shown before the 2003 draft was clearly not attractive enough for teams to draft him higher than mid/bottom-first round.

I believe that, similarly, Rasmussen may not have illustrated what he is capable of and may have much more potential than amateur and pro scouts have seen, thus people are very negative so far about his selection at the 9th pick. If he has a Getzlaf-like post draft development, the 9th overall pick will have been well spent, but we will not know what he is capable of for years.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Sheahan scores two goals next year.

Nah, Sheahan gets his confidence back and scores 7 goals next year. 5 in the first 10 games, and then 2 more, the final 70 games. Gets a 3x3.5 contract, next summer, because he could be a good power forward/center.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Ken holland makes a hockey trade (player for player) this season
I thought those had fallen into the category of Bigfoot sightings and UFO reports. ;)

internet-grandma-surprise-is-that-a-ken-holland-trade-i-see.jpg

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Ken holland makes a hockey trade (player for player) this season

Boldest prediction yet.

And I predicted the lizard people would finally rise up, buy an expansion team, and dominate the NHL as a harbinger to overthrowing the Canadian government and renaming Timbits to Lizbits.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->