Makar vs Fox

Who do you take?

• Total voters

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
No one was required to impose a minimum games requirement into Norris voting.

I think Makar’s dynamism factors in for neutrals. It does whether it should or shouldn’t. His game looks more exciting. It the same reason why Pettersson and Eichel win these polls over players such as Barkov. There’s no other reason for the guy who won the Norris to have only 30% of the vote. Fox is the more accomplished player right now.

Just because it's not part of the award criteria doesn't mean games played hasn't always clearly been a factor in voting. Come on now.

And while flash likely plays a role in these types of votes, saying Fox should have more votes because he's more accomplished is silly. The award is subjective, so the fact that Fox won shouldn't hold any weight over those who disagreed with him winning or those who would have voted for Fox due to games played, but thought Makar was better per game. It would be one thing if Makar wasn't at Norris level, but he obviously was and received a significant number of first place votes. And that's not even mentioning that this one season doesn't factor in age, other seasons, potential, etc

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Schrodinger's Fox: only does offense unless Makar is also in the poll, in which case Fox isn't dynamic.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Knocking Makar for being dynamic would be like knocking McDavid for being dynamic. It doesn’t make any sense whatsoever.

Makar has more substance to his game than he’s given credit for, and Fox has more dynamism in his game than he’s given credit for.

Either way… they’re the two best defenceman in the NHL imo.

Last edited:

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Makar is the more talented, offensively gifted dman.

Fox is the smarter, more rounded dman.

Makar - Leetch lite.
Fox - Lidstrom lite.

I’m not saying Fox is going to be the next Lidstrom, lol. I’m just comparing the styles they remind me of.

Makar makes plays with his skill that makes my jaw drop to the floor. Unreal shit.

Fox does the same, but does so in a manner that shows how cerebral he is.

Does Makars offensive edge make up the defensive gap between the two players? That I’m not so sure of.

If one of them could play on the left side, that would be one filthy freaking pairing. Straight up sorcery.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
i don't think there's a wrong answer.

idk about the people predicting makar to win 3 norrises though. that's how many hedman and karlsson have COMBINED.

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
They're both absolute world beaters. I actually can't cast a vote because you would have to put a gun to my head to get me to pick.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
No one was required to impose a minimum games requirement into Norris voting.

I think Makar’s dynamism factors in for neutrals. It does whether it should or shouldn’t. His game looks more exciting. It the same reason why Pettersson and Eichel win these polls over players such as Barkov. There’s no other reason for the guy who won the Norris to have only 30% of the vote. Fox is the more accomplished player right now.

I’m not making an argument for the number of GP but more of an observation.

As for the more accomplished player right now it’s clearly Makar as he had a 9th place Norris finish to go along with a very close 2nd this year.

Another observation is that voters historically have relied on counting stats a ton for the Norris and the unbalanced schedule produced results this year that are unlikely to be duplicated next year.

Put another way Makar is more likely to win the Norris next year than Fox and it’s probably in the 75-25 ratio if not higher.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

As for the more accomplished player right now it’s clearly Makar as he had a 9th place Norris finish to go along with a very close 2nd this year.

Another observation is that voters historically have relied on counting stats a ton for the Norris and the unbalanced schedule produced results this year that are unlikely to be duplicated next year.

Put another way Makar is more likely to win the Norris next year than Fox and it’s probably in the 75-25 ratio if not higher.

I think you and the majority of neutrals need to watch Fox play more hockey games because I don’t know how winning the Norris doesn’t get someone more respect. This was absolutely no fluke. He was nearly as good last season. He lacked the same amount of points mostly due to his PP role.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Right now Makar easily.

But I want to see both play a full season. These shortened seasons skew perceptions imo. Fox is also untested in playoff scenarios in his career.

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018

I mean, I think Makar is more talented and as a Rangers fan I think I'd objectively take him over Fox if I took away my biases, but the idea that winning the Norris makes him less accomplished than Makar (who currently has 0) is hilarious, no offense.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Write-in vote for Miro Heiskanen, just for the controversy.

Heiskanen's 2020 playoffs was better than any stretch of hockey Makar or Fox have ever played.
I'll write in Brad Park. Better career than anything any of the three have shown so far.

summer tooth

Aug 10, 2020
Makar has higher value probably because of his goal scoring, but I still took Fox because imo his defensive game is sharper and he has better leadership qualities.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
As a fan of both the Avalanche and Rangers, can't really pick a side here lol. Makar is the flashier, but not every time the flashier one is the better one.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I think you and the majority of neutrals need to watch Fox play more hockey games because I don’t know how winning the Norris doesn’t get someone more respect. This was absolutely no fluke. He was nearly as good last season. He lacked the same amount of points mostly due to his PP role.

Well to be Frank, Most of us here and heck even most voters don’t watch the players in every or even most games.

Historically the voters tend to really rely on voting stats and in a COVID unbalanced schedule that did favour Fox as does playing in a large media market.

I don’t think that his season was a fluke and just think Makar is better for the reasons posted.

Also if you think that Fox was pretty much the same last year then the voters didn’t see it as he didn’t get any Norris votes of the 19 Dmen who did nor any all star votes out the 24 Dmen that did.

So something isn’t lining up here.

Reactions: Unspecified

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I mean, I think Makar is more talented and as a Rangers fan I think I'd objectively take him over Fox if I took away my biases, but the idea that winning the Norris makes him less accomplished than Makar (who currently has 0) is hilarious, no offense.

Hey if Fox had a huge lead on Makar this year it would be one thing but he didn’t and part of that reason no doubt was missed games by Makar and he also finished 9th last year and Fox didn’t even show up with a vote among 19 Dmen that did.

Norris voting is an imperfect science to be sure but one resume looks better than the other one plain and simple here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad