Major changes in Nashville

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fan.At

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2002
HFNHL Preds
When the owners of the Nashville Predators hired their new GM a few weeks ago, they expected nothing less than a kick-start of their struggling franchise. A lot of changes have happened since then.

Old and overpriced stars like Mats Sundin, Mattias Norström and Curtis Joseph were shipped out for younger players and a bunch of draft picks. Newcomers on the team are forwards Jan Hrdina, Jeff Halpern and Matt Stajan as well as defensemen Jim Vandermeer and Mathieu Dandenault and goalie Brent Johnson. Long-time minor leaguer Charlie Stephens was shipped out for a draft pick and winger Ramzi Abid was aquired for goon Derek Boogard.
On paper the Preds now look more balanced, but are obviously lacking star power. The moves were clearly made with the future in mind as the payroll was lowered and a lot of draft picks were aquired.
Also the recent free agent signings will help the team in the future. Energy players Stephen Goertzen, George Parros and Cam Janssen should provide depth and toughness in a few years.

After all those moves it is not expected that GM Tony Kapfenberger is done tweaking his roster. "I'm in no hurry to make any moves. I think we adressed some issues with the moves made so far that will be crucial for the teams future, now the key will be patience, with our roster players and especially with our prospects. But if the opportunity arises to make the Predators a better team, I will give it a look."

The next entry draft will be of great importance for the Preds. They have now 13 picks in the 7 round draft, most of them in the later rounds. "Good scouting will be necessary to dig out some players with that later picks, but we have a good staff and I'm confident that our prospect pool will look great after the entry draft in june" GM Tony Kapfenberger said.

With all those changes the Nashville organization is looking forward to the start of the season against the St. Louis Blues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad