Major Champions League format change proposed by top clubs

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
UEFA is set to be asked to radically overhaul the Champions League's format to allow for more games between the continent's elite clubs across two "mini super leagues," according to multiple reports in England.

The new format would involve an initial knockout round of 32 teams before the 16 winners advance into two groups of eight. The winners of those two "super leagues" would then advance to the final... this new proposal would ensure that teams reaching the group stage would play a minimum of 14 games after the knockout round, with the majority likely to come against big-name opposition.

How stupid.

http://www.espnfc.us/uefa-champions...ampions-league-format-change-proposed-reports

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
This wouldn't really be a surprise.

The top teams have all the power, and they want as much of the cake as possible. If the top teams have went to UEFA with these proposals, then UEFA needs to take them seriously. The problem that they have is that refusing them would bring a European League closer, and accepting them would bring a European League closer.

There seems an inevitability about the top teams breaking away. Might not happen in the next 10 or 15 years, but it's difficult to see it not happening.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I've said on these boards a long time ago (maybe even 10 years ago) we'll at one point have a european league with inferior divisions being played in each nation. It's bound to happen.
First they'll get 14, the next step is going to be 34.

That said I'd much prefer a european league than the crap we're served right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad