Main reason the Steam Deck won't be a "Switch Killer" (Hint: It's not "casuals")

TequilaBay

May 30, 2019
Since the Steam Deck was announced, many gamers are jumping on the bandwagon of calling this new portable PC the "Switch Killer". Many other gamers disagree with this notion, some of them out of an emotional stake and wanting to defend Nintendo, others without an emotional stake with a more rational explanation.

Common arguments against the notion of the Steam Deck being the "Switch Killer" include that the Switch's audience is mostly casual, that the Steam Deck can only appeal to PC gamers, that the Steam Deck can only appeal to hardcore gamers, amongst others. These are all valid points in their own rights, but there's one certain argument against the notion of the Steam Deck being a "Switch Killer" which I subscribe to that I feel people aren't looking into, and I think I might as well be the one to address it;

Primary reason the Steam Deck isn't the "Switch Killer" - It came out too late to compete with the Switch long term.
If the Steam Deck had released in 2017 or 2018 with the same technical specs, then arguments for the Steam Deck being a "Switch Killer" would certainly be far more valid as it would be competing against the Switch long term.
But a December 2021 release is only going to make competition against the Switch a short term goal.

The Switch is already nearing the final few chapters of its life cycle as it is, regardless of what the Steam Deck does. By the time the Steam Deck releases, the Switch will be almost 5 years old. The SNES was 5 years old when the N64 succeeded it, the N64 was 5 years old when the Gamecube succeeded it, and the Gamecube was 5 years old when the Wii succeeded it, a 5 year lifespan was an unwritten rule for Nintendo for three generational leaps, and a case could be made that the Wii to the Wii U would've also followed this trend if it weren't for the Recession, given how lackluster 2011 was for Wii releases. Now, the Switch will most definitely not follow that pattern, as we shouldn't get a successor to the Switch by March of 2022, but it's still worth pointing out as it indicates the Switch is nearing the end of its lifecycle, and I would expect a Switch successor to be announced by E3 2022, or E3 2023 at the VERY latest, with a presumed release date for this new console to be around the 2023 Holiday Season.

The Steam Deck, as impressive as it is, will not be able to explode in the gaming market immediately. It will take until 2023 at the earliest before the Steam Deck will truly start reaching out of the compounds of the PC and hardcore gaming markets. That would be the earliest they could drop the price of the console and be able to truly market the thing to more casual and mid-level gamers outside of the bubble already enthused about it. The gamers outside of Valve's already established bubble are not going to splurge $400 for a console with a gaming interface they're not familiar with, a further price drop will be essential to making the Steam Deck reach out to other pockets of the gaming industry, and I couldn't see that happening until 2023 at the earliest. Once again, by 2023, the successor to the Switch should be at least announced, if not released, the Switch will already be last generation hardware by then.

Now, can the Steam Deck compete against the Switch's successor, or blow it out of the water? Absolutely, if Nintendo doesn't play their cards right with it. Nintendo does have an advantage with the casual market right now, but they can certainly lose if they don't market its successor correctly. The Switch was successful, but so was the Wii, but the Wii U was not, and there's a chance the Switch's successor may not be as well. It depends on what the console is.
If they copy Steam and try to make another portable gaming PC, with backwards compatibility with Switch carts as a bonus and maybe carts for its own games as well, that could easily backfire against them as they'd have to entice a crowd that doesn't care about graphics or performance that still feels the Switch is all they need.
Their best chance of action could be to make their own smartphone or tablet with Switch backwards compatibility and continue avoiding competition with the likes of Sony, Microsoft, and Valve, but how that would all work out, I wouldn't have a clue.

But either way, there it is.
The Steam Deck is not the "Switch Killer", because it can only compete with the Switch short term, the same way the Sega Genesis competed against the NES, before two years later when the SNES came out.
The Switch is an 8th Gen console in its twilight years, while the Steam Deck is a 9th Gen console that's not even out yet.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
There's already a Steam Deck thread, no one in it is arguing whether it's a Switch killer or not, and those are arguments you're best off just walking away from. Especially when you start talking about 'casuals' vs 'hard core'.

Reactions: Frankie Spankie

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I feel it's not a switch killer -- as you alluded to switch will pass 100 million sales around the time the steamdeck pass 1 sale.

But I think it's absolutely a steam machine ressurecter. It's a first party steam machine that they aren't as concerned with making margins as 3rd party manufacturers.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I don't know what the obsession with the "Switch Killer" label for the Steam Deck is. It's nonsense IMO.

Nintendo has a quirky magic, in hardware and software alike, that exists in their own pocket universe. I don't think they really "compete" with other game platforms at all, at least in a traditional sense.

The tech in the Steam Deck didn't exist in 2017. It really only exists in the current generation PlayStation and Xbox devices (PS5/XSX|S).

You are comparing that hardware against a company that brought out a glorified phone-esque powered device that was technologically miles behind its "competitors" from Sony and Microsoft, and knocked it out of the damn park. I don't think assuming a next generation Nintendo would "compete" with a Steam Deck on that level is logical. Nintendo doesn't really care about raw power, they care about design.

The Steam Deck is only a "Switch Killer" for people who don't really care about Nintendo IP and want a handheld device enough to consider purchasing a Switch (or already own a Switch), and even then, probably only those with an existing Steam library....a niche market for sure. For everyone else, it's just another option.

I do think Valve hopes to draw more people into the PC (and especially, but not limited to Steam) ecosystem. I think it would appeal to people who have found the PC world inconvenient, confusing, anchored to the desk, and/or way too expensive....and I do think it will be successful...but tackle Nintendo? Unlikely.

TL;DR It's not a "Switch Killer" because it isn't designed to be.

Last edited:

TequilaBay

May 30, 2019
There's already a Steam Deck thread, no one in it is arguing whether it's a Switch killer or not, and those are arguments you're best off just walking away from. Especially when you start talking about 'casuals' vs 'hard core'.

That thread was regarding the Steam Deck itself, this one is regarding the supposed "console war" between the Steam Deck and the Switch.
Same subject, but not the same topic.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
The Steam Deck isn't really directly competing with the Switch the same way PC's don't compete with consoles. The two devices looks similar and are both portable, but they're not competing for the same audience. If you want to play Nintendo's latest games, then the Switch is still the way to go. If you want to play PC games on the go, then the Steam Deck might be for you.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
BUT…not all game won’t work on it. Assassins Creed and Destiny 2 won’t work on it.
I've been reading that Valve is planning on getting close to 100% compatibility for Proton by the time of release, so that may change. The always online games or games with Anti Cheat will be a big challenge though.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I've been reading that Valve is planning on getting close to 100% compatibility for Proton by the time of release, so that may change. The always online games or games with Anti Cheat will be a big challenge though.

And even if they don't get every game to work, it's still a PC so if you install Windows on it you're set.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
Nintendo has a quirky magic, in hardware and software alike, that exists in their own pocket universe. I don't think they really "compete" with other game platforms at all, at least in a traditional sense.
They don't compete with other platforms at all. I think Reggie has said something similar to this in the past when it was brought up to him. His view was that Nintendo mainly cares about creating games that people can have fun with and enjoy, which is the main point of playing video games to begin with. I mean, look at the titles that they are still creating today. They are sticking to what has worked for them for many, many years, and one that continues to succeed, and that is to create games that are family friendly and that can be enjoyed with friends. That is their main focus. Go look at the games that are made by Nintendo that are currently available for Pre-Order. Pokemon, Metroid, Mario Party Superstars, Warioware, and Advance Wars, with a re-release of The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword that just came out. They (finally) released a new Animal Crossing that people went NUTS over when it was announced, and it did extremely well when it released. They are still creating Super Mario games, and even the sports games are about the same way where most are Mario/Nintendo based. They don't care about releasing a new system that can rival the hardware specs that Sony and Microsoft create for their gaming systems. The Switch has been extremely successful for Nintendo, and I wouldn't be surprised if the next system will be a similar device where you can play both on your own TV screen and one that you can take with you on the go. Obviously I could be wrong on that front though, but I don't really see them backing away from that after it has been so successful for them. Nintendo is in their own little world, and I would prefer it if they stayed there and not try to become a competitor.

Reactions: Commander Clueless

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad