Proposal: Main Pieces: Chris Kreider for Christian Dvorak or Nick Schmaltz

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Not a one-for-one deal, but I'm wondering if this basic framework makes sense. Perhaps reuniting Kreider and Stepan could get them both going. Meanwhile, the Coyotes have pretty decent C depth and the Rangers are *still* in search of a definite answer at 2C so a young C like Schmaltz or Dvorak may make sense.

Plus, Dvorak reminds me of one of my favorite (recent) Rangers in Radek Dvorak and Schmaltz is just fun to say

not a fit for either team

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
Skjei is the most untouchable piece? What? I even have him as an avatar and I think he has significantly regressed. I don’t think he is abysmal but I would totally include Skjei in a package if it made sense for the Rangers.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Schmatlz is worth certainly more than a 28 year old, non extended Chris Kreider, especially with Schmaltz who has more skill, plays a more important position, cost controlled for longer, and already has career highs that are right on kreiders career highs and Schmaltz isnt even in his prime yet
Schmaltz is actually playing more wing and Dvorak is playing more center. At least Dvorak is taking the faceoffs. They've been fluid, and used as a pair all season. Dvorak and Schmaltz were actually linemates playing youth hockey for the Chicago Mission. The third member of that line? William Nylander! :)

Dvorak has taken 43 FOs this season with a W% of 72.1 (best in the NHL). Schmaltz has taken just 23 and has a W% of 47.8% - Connor Garland and Barrett Hayton have swapped in and out as the 3rd member of that line. Garland seems to have won the spot, however. That line has been killing it with him as the RW. All USA line, too.

Yotes fans liked it when Hayton was on the line, though, as they were hilariously nicknamed by Jason Demers as "the Mute Line" because all three of Hayton, Schmaltz, and especially Dvorak are so quiet. Dvorak is infamous around the team for never smiling under any circumstances. He barely celebrates goals, and refuses to smile.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Yeah, I don't think it makes any sense for Arizona to do this. Trading young talent for an older, more accomplished winger is what they just did in the summer, and that was Galchenyuk for Kessel. I don't see them doing it immediately, again, when they're 100% on the verge of playoff contention anyway.

It's probably fait accompli that Kreider winds up with TBL, anyway.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
If Arizona adds Kreider, it will be at the trade deadline. Something like Kreider and a 2021 3rd for AZ 2020 1st and Fischer.

In fact, I think that if the Coyotes are in a playoff spot come deadline time, the 2020 1st rounder and Fischer make a wonderful combo to sell for a player. Even if Fischer is kept, that 2020 1st rounder could net a good return.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Yeah, I don't think it makes any sense for Arizona to do this. Trading young talent for an older, more accomplished winger is what they just did in the summer, and that was Galchenyuk for Kessel. I don't see them doing it immediately, again, when they're 100% on the verge of playoff contention anyway.

It's probably fait accompli that Kreider winds up with TBL, anyway.

Kreider needs to change his name to Ryan and be named captain for that to happen

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Schmaltz is actually playing more wing and Dvorak is playing more center. At least Dvorak is taking the faceoffs. They've been fluid, and used as a pair all season. Dvorak and Schmaltz were actually linemates playing youth hockey for the Chicago Mission. The third member of that line? William Nylander! :)

Dvorak has taken 43 FOs this season with a W% of 72.1 (best in the NHL). Schmaltz has taken just 23 and has a W% of 47.8% - Connor Garland and Barrett Hayton have swapped in and out as the 3rd member of that line. Garland seems to have won the spot, however. That line has been killing it with him as the RW. All USA line, too.

Yotes fans liked it when Hayton was on the line, though, as they were hilariously nicknamed by Jason Demers as "the Mute Line" because all three of Hayton, Schmaltz, and especially Dvorak are so quiet. Dvorak is infamous around the team for never smiling under any circumstances. He barely celebrates goals, and refuses to smile.
yeah, there have always been questions on if Schmaltz can stick in the NHL as a center as he has defensive lapses in his own zone coverage (although he backchecks well through the neutral zone), lacks strength to play down low well and 200ft (which has also made him injury prone), and his FO % has always been poor

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
yeah, there have always been questions on if Schmaltz can stick in the NHL as a center as he has defensive lapses in his own zone coverage (although he backchecks well through the neutral zone), lacks strength to play down low well and 200ft (which has also made him injury prone), and his FO % has always been poor
His speed through the center of the ice during transition is critical, as are his controlled zone entries and puck distribution ability from center ice.

Dvorak is the perfect linemate in this sense. He can take the draws and the down low responsibilities in the D zone, and switch over to wing in transition and in the offensive zone.

They make a great hybrid pair.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
His speed through the center of the ice during transition is critical, as are his controlled zone entries and puck distribution ability from center ice.

Dvorak is the perfect linemate in this sense. He can take the draws and the down low responsibilities in the D zone, and switch over to wing in transition and in the offensive zone.

They make a great hybrid pair.
fair assessment

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Kreider needs to change his name to Ryan and be named captain for that to happen

Hmm...."Ryan Kreider"

tenor.gif

I can't tell if I love it or loathe that. Looks alright on paper, but out loud it sounds like someone is trying to talk through a mix of bazooka joe/peanut butter.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
As for the OP, you're overrating Kreider a bit here if you expect him to land us one of Schmaltz or Dvorak.

I think we need to already start lowering our expectations for the Kreider return. It's going to be a disappointment; they always are.

This smells a lot like the pipeline between NY and TB is about to reopen. Kreider looks like exactly what we need. I think we'd give up our 1st (not Vancouver's) with a B prospect.

Snarky Coyote

Sponsor
May 3, 2009
Now with more snark
Easy no, these guys are core pieces, and with the start we have had if you want to offer something for either of these guys, offer something that hurts. Were doing ok and do not need a trade right now, unless a disgruntled 1C needs a new home. Even then think draft picks or AHL team. If that's not a match were ok with holding on to who we have.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
They can have Kreider for a 2nd at this point...

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Is there a more overvalued player by one fanbase than Rangers fans with Kreider?

Sure doesn't appear to be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad