Mailbox Plaques

JamestheSame

Apr 18, 2012
Does anyone know of a place I can buy a mailbox plaque or emblem for my brick mailbox?

I have been looking everywhere for one.

Thanks, and sorry for the off the wall thread.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
No idea and can't find any but here are some thoughts on it:
You might be able to have one custom made at a machine shop but there may be some hesitation because it's a registered logo. If you could find a stone coaster with the logo you might be able to have them fashion a metal plate to hold it and attach it.

JamestheSame

Apr 18, 2012
That's a really good idea. I found some coasters, and I will probably go to the local machine shop and ask them.

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it. Hopefully I'll have an easier time finding an Atlanta Braves one for her. :)

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
Unless you started selling them I don't think there will be a copyright issue. If someone knitted you a team logo scarf would there be a question? It would be a facsimile since I doubt every exact cut and color matched.

Last edited:

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
If you are making an item for yourself or as a gift, true, but if you are commissioning the item then THEY are making it to sell. That would put them at risk.

jntarheels

Feb 20, 2013
Clarksville, TN
Seems like James wanted something for his own personal mailbox, not for commerce.

I think what Adz was saying is that, although JamestheSame would be using it for his own personal pleasure or good and could create it on his own without having a problem that i know of; as soon as he paid some other company to make the Mailbox Plaque with the Pred's logo (without the Pred's consent) then that is where the copyright or trademark infraction would occur.

Even if the item is for himself to enjoy and not resale, the engraving/metal work/ etc company would be profiting from the Pred's logo themselves.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I think what Adz was saying is that, although JamestheSame would be using it for his own personal pleasure or good and could create it on his own without having a problem that i know of; as soon as he paid some other company to make the Mailbox Plaque with the Pred's logo (without the Pred's consent) then that is where the copyright or trademark infraction would occur.

Even if the item is for himself to enjoy and not resale, the engraving/metal work/ etc company would be profiting from the Pred's logo themselves.

Yes, that is exactly what I was trying to say. Also, his using a purchased licensed product in fashioning the plaque would not be construed as "theft of intellectual property" since it was just combined with something.

Most of you know I work in animation--believe me, in certain situations the NHL WILL come after you if you try to create anything for profit using their stuff--their jersey designs, their logos, their personnel--even when it's an NHL team commissioning you to do it! Details are fuzzy now, but years ago a team (not the Preds--I think it was the Flyers) wanted us to make a video game using NHL characters for use on their website. Cease and Desist notice was promptly forthcoming--to US! We've never had issues with creating opening videos or graphics or anything like that, so I guess it's seen as advertising instead of a commercial endeavor.

Last edited:

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
If the NHL has nothing better to do than to ride around looking for mailbox emblems, then demand/ force in court the owner reveal who made it for them .... sad indeed.

What if I paid an artist to create an oil painting of me standing with 2 Pred players in full uniform and hung it over my couch, or on the wall if I had a sports bar. or was rich enough to own and display this:

hockey1.jpg

What is the boundary between registered logo and artistic recreation? If the thing he wants is enough over that line and not an exact copy of a registered trademark ...

Not arguing . just asking

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
That was actually one of the things brought up and why we weren't eventually sued. We had changed the logo and jersey designs somewhat--but even so, it wasn't enough for the NHL to allow the game to go on the team's website. The team didn't want to pursue it with the governing body, so we stopped work on the project.

I saw lots of paintings of hockey players, specifically Nordiques players, in Quebec a few years back. They were "for sale". So while I don't know the rules, I'd guess that to paint (for profit) or to commission a painting would be okay. Here's what I found on it. From this, I'd say that making a plaque, or even having someone else make it, would be "unauthorized use" but would fall under the functional use exception. However, if you started selling those plaques to others, THEN you might end up with a Cease and Desist letter of your own.

https://www.legalzoom.com/articles/when-is-unauthorized-use-not-trademark-infringement

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
For future reference, you're seeing us like we really are. "Hey, something I can research and/or argue about--cool!"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad