Confirmed with Link: Magnus Nygren signs a two year ELC with the Habs

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
I don't think Lefebvre is as terrible as people think. He had a pretty **** team to coach.

From what I saw I wasn't impressed by Lefebvre, but I do hope Bergevin does more to add some depth to Hamilton this year beyond signing prospects. Bergevin did a lot of good things in his first year but our minor league team was an area where he fell way short, IMO.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
From what I saw I wasn't impressed by Lefebvre, but I do hope Bergevin does more to add some depth to Hamilton this year beyond signing prospects. Bergevin did a lot of good things in his first year but our minor league team was an area where he fell way short, IMO.
I wish they'd at least try to find young up and coming gooners instead of the bear hug Stortini and punching bag Hagel.

Analyzer*

To me this would spell the trade of someone. Right handed players don't normally play the left side mainly because there's never a need for a righty to switch over.

HCH

Dec 17, 2003
The Wild West
Visit site
I've only seen the clips of Nygren that have been posted but what I liked from those clips was that he didn't just wind up and fire the puck. If the play required a wrist shot that is what he would do and his slap shots made it through traffic. I realize the clips were selected to highlight his strengths but it was still impressive.

Analyzer*

What is your point??????

He won the award for best defenceman.....not best stats among defencemen.

Best Swedish defenseman.

I've only seen the clips of Nygren that have been posted but what I liked from those clips was that he didn't just wind up and fire the puck. If the play required a wrist shot that is what he would do and his slap shots made it through traffic. I realize the clips were selected to highlight his strengths but it was still impressive.

This. It's nice that he knows when to put his head down and fire a mustard shot (whatever that is) and when to take a wrist shot. Pk is finally learning this and it will be tremendous.

IMO Karlsson has already mastered this and it shows.

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
What is your point??????

He won the award for best defenceman.....not best stats among defencemen.
He won the best Swedish defenseman award among players in SEL.

The three players ahead of him were not swedish: 2 Canadiens and one from US.

He is much younger than those players ahead of him and he did score more goals.

Issacar

Jan 19, 2011
where is he going to play on this team, seriously , we need size , not nore finesse d

He is going to play in the AHL for now. You doN,t know when you will need a finesse defenseman and having him in hte system only adds depth. I don't see an issue with that.

Let's say we end up with too many and can't find a roster spot for him, he can be a good trading chip.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
To me this would spell the trade of someone. Right handed players don't normally play the left side mainly because there's never a need for a righty to switch over.

I don't think this means a trade will happen, also don't see why RD's can't play LD if they are comfortable at it. Some players can play either side, some can't, hopefully a few of them can. That said if a trade is made, the Habs biggest strength among their prospects is defensemen, just that I don't think a move is necessary at this point although I do have my concerns about another Hamilton team that has a very young D again if that ends up being the plan.

where is he going to play on this team, seriously , we need size , not nore finesse d

The Habs had to sign him or lose his rights, he should go to the AHL to adjust to the smaller ice. The Habs should be looking at getting better players, not worry about fans sad obsession with size. In no way am I saying Nygren is the answer to the Habs problems on defense and overall team softness since he's not and to be honest I haven't seen much of him so far. That said I don't see the big deal, this is a move that had to be made, the Habs can lend him back to the SEL if they wanted or send him to the AHL so better to see what he can do then just give up his rights because the fans want the team to get bigger.

Hamilton's right side on D just became crowded. Nygren-Pateryn-Dietz-Ellis.

Beaulieu-Nygren as a PP duo should be deadly in theory, but Lefebvre remains in charge of this team.........

Pretty much means Thrower goes back to the WHL for his overager season, IMO.

Young and inexperienced as well, hopefully one or two can play on the left side. But I don't see why this means Thrower goes back to the dub since he can just go to the ECHL. I'd personally rather see him playing a lot in the ECHL then getting to 300 games in the WHL under his belt playing against 16-20 year olds. But we'll see what the Habs want to do when next season rolls around.

I don't think Lefebvre is as terrible as people think. He had a pretty **** team to coach.

And every player called up from his team seemed to perform well enough to play in the save for maybe Pateryn

The only thing I'll say is that as someone that watches almost every Hamilton game the past few years, this was easily the worst team I have ever seen the Habs have in the AHL. Their offense was so bad and the PP was poorly run that it made them downright painful to sit through. So one can understand why others might be concerned about Hamilton next year with the same coaching staff and many of the same players (granted there will be changes to the lineup, or it wouldn't be the AHL). But yes the coaching staff didn't have a lot of talent to work with, and he was a rookie coach so hopefully next season yields different results.

Doesnt seem to be posted yet: Nygren also selected on allstar sweden team.

Good news, congrats to Nygren ! :handclap::yo:

Unlike Collberg, there's not much more that Nygren can learn in Sweden. Bringing him over is great news, if he's going to evolve into a more well rounded player it should be on small ice anyway.

Not sure I agree, since Nygren even though he's about to turn 23 next week, he has only had 2 full seasons in the SEL so it's hard to say if he has anything left to learn. But a moot point since it appears he will be in North America.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
Not sure I agree, since Nygren even though he's about to turn 23 next week, he has only had 2 full seasons in the SEL so it's hard to say if he has anything left to learn. But a moot point since it appears he will be in North America.

This is true, but what I mean is Nygren is still likely closer to being NHL level what we really need to see improvements from when it comes to Nygren is on the defensive side of things - and yes he's guaranteed a ton of playing time on a pretty good team in Sweden, he might as well start the adjustment to North America as soon as possible.

Collberg there's no reason not to be patient with.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
This is true, but what I mean is Nygren is still likely closer to being NHL level what we really need to see improvements from when it comes to Nygren is on the defensive side of things - and yes he's guaranteed a ton of playing time on a pretty good team in Sweden, he might as well start the adjustment to North America as soon as possible.

Collberg there's no reason not to be patient with.

I could go either way, if he was to play another season in the SEL I don't see the harm other then counting against the 50 contract limit. But starting to adapt to the smaller ice sooner then later sounds good to me. It's always hard to gauge how a Euro prospect will do on the smaller ice but for Nygren it's even more of a mystery since he hasn't had a ton of playing time in the SEL (whereas Collberg as an example has played only 51 less games in the SEL then Nygren despite being almost 4 years younger) so with the big jump in his stats from the previous season it makes you wonder just what the Habs will be getting next season if he really found a way to put it all together at 22.

Analyzer*

I don't think this means a trade will happen, also don't see why RD's can't play LD if they are comfortable at it. Some players can play either side, some can't, hopefully a few of them can. That said if a trade is made, the Habs biggest strength among their prospects is defensemen, just that I don't think a move is necessary at this point although I do have my concerns about another Hamilton team that has a very young D again if that ends up being the plan.

Right handed shots rarely play on the left side as there's usually an abundance of lefties and not righties.

Chances are, these right handed dman have never play consistently on the left side. I've played on hockey teams were there wasn't 1 right handed shots.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Right handed shots rarely play on the left side as there's usually an abundance of lefties and not righties.

Chances are, these right handed dman have never play consistently on the left side. I've played on hockey teams were there wasn't 1 right handed shots.

of course there's an abundance of lefties and not righties as likely anyone that played on a team would recall, as a RH I can remember having trouble getting RH sticks from my local store (didn't have a rink nearby, just outside of philly).

But it doesn't mean that some couldn't play LD. I know Rivet didn't like it and O'Byrne struggled when he was first moved to LD, but hopefully at least one from the group can make the adjustment.

Even if not I don't know if it would need to lead to a trade, granted I'm all for it improving the team and it does make sense to deal from a position of strength but with injuries and call ups I would just give them all a shot and whoever doesn't cut it goes to the ECHL. Would be great to have some real depth on defense in Hamilton.

Analyzer*

of course there's an abundance of lefties and not righties as likely anyone that played on a team would recall, as a RH I can remember having trouble getting RH sticks from my local store (didn't have a rink nearby, just outside of philly).

But it doesn't mean that some couldn't play LD. I know Rivet didn't like it and O'Byrne struggled when he was first moved to LD, but hopefully at least one from the group can make the adjustment.

Even if not I don't know if it would need to lead to a trade, granted I'm all for it improving the team and it does make sense to deal from a position of strength but with injuries and call ups I would just give them all a shot and whoever doesn't cut it goes to the ECHL. Would be great to have some real depth on defense in Hamilton.

I, too hope it doesn't lead to a trade. I'm not ready to see any of these guys go yet unless it's an overpayment.

Dr Gonzo

#1 Jan Bulis Fan
Dec 13, 2009
Bat Country

Hey Watsatheo, just wanted to let you know that Nygren sent me a message today saying that the compilation was a cool video.

I thought you would like to know that your video was seen by Nygren himself, and that he enjoyed it.

He also said he's looking forward to playing for the Habs.

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg
Hey Watsatheo, just wanted to let you know that Nygren sent me a message today saying that the compilation was a cool video.

I thought you would like to know that your video was seen by Nygren himself, and that he enjoyed it.

Are you personally acquainted with Nygren? If not, how did he message you?

Is he a member of HFBoards? :laugh:

Dr Gonzo

#1 Jan Bulis Fan
Dec 13, 2009
Bat Country
My guess would be Twitter.

really-good-point.gif

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006

He made it easy to make by scoring so much. :laugh:

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

Appreciate the Vids but I have to watch these on mute....the music is horrendous....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->