Magic Number Countdown: President's Trophy Clinched

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Our down the stretch schedule is rough. Aside from a game or two, it's all either really good teams or teams fighting for a playoff spot, and mostly on the road.

Stormbreaker

Apr 2, 2012
D11gF6tW0AAi5ta.jpg:large

D11gJWCW0AEX_Oj.jpg:large

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
The Wild ruined it. We had a chance to clinch the Presidents Trophy before anyone else clinched a playoff berth but with Minnesota's loss Calgary has clinched.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
f*** it I want the record. It has no bearing on if we are gonna win the Cup. And if we do then we are the GOAT. We are already gonna lose big if we don't win it all. So we might as well go for broke

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
According to RP we're the first Tampa team in all of pro sports to finish 1st in their respective league.

Cmac66

Apr 18, 2017
Glad that we have got everything wrapped up at this stage of the season. Still need to keep our foot on the gas to get ready for the play offs. Luckily for us we have a tough schedule coming up meaning that it is perfect for us to get ready for the play offs.

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
So how do they close out the year? Do they go for the record? I think they will and if they lose a couple games here then they start to rest for the playoffs. Not many times that you are in this kind of position.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
What's the magic number for them just handing us the cup and skipping with the formality of the playoffs?

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
According to RP we're the first Tampa team in all of pro sports to finish 1st in their respective league.
Not sure who RP is, but I think they mean first Tampa team in major pro sports (I bet, say, the Storm have finished 1st at some point).

And you can actually extend it to the first team in Central FL to win the regular season in any of the four major sports (the Magic have never done it either).

There's a bit of a technicality here, as the Bucs tied with Philly for best record in the league in 2002-2003, but since Philly had the tiebreaker and home field in the playoffs, I'd say we didn't win that one.

So this is really special. It's a little odd that we've seen two championships (1 SB and 1 Cup) but zero regular season champs -- statistically, they're equally likely.

Frankly, this has been one of my favorite sports seasons ever... and I'm it sure it's going to retain that status even if we don't win the Cup.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Not sure who RP is, but I think they mean first Tampa team in major pro sports (I bet, say, the Storm have finished 1st at some point).

And you can actually extend it to the first team in Central FL to win the regular season in any of the four major sports (the Magic have never done it either).

There's a bit of a technicality here, as the Bucs tied with Philly for best record in the league in 2002-2003, but since Philly had the tiebreaker and home field in the playoffs, I'd say we didn't win that one.

So this is really special. It's a little odd that we've seen two championships (1 SB and 1 Cup) but zero regular season champs -- statistically, they're equally likely.

Frankly, this has been one of my favorite sports seasons ever... and I'm it sure it's going to retain that status even if we don't win the Cup.
RP = Rick Peckham, our play-by-play announcer on Sun Sports.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad