Magic Number Countdown: President's Trophy Clinched

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
Boston's loss takes one off of our magic number (SJ can top out at 118 points).

TylerJohnsonSm.jpg

Sorry I missed Miller's time in the sun! :oops:

DaGoose

Jul 22, 2015
This team is amazing and a blast to watch. I'm a Wings fan (from Michigan), but I consider the Bolts my adopted team now that I live in the Tampa area. Doesn't hurt that Yzerman was one of my childhood favs. This Bolts team reminds me exactly of the late 90s/early 00s Wings teams I grew up watching.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
This team is amazing and a blast to watch. I'm a Wings fan (from Michigan), but I consider the Bolts my adopted team now that I live in the Tampa area. Doesn't hurt that Yzerman was one of my childhood favs. This Bolts team reminds me exactly of the late 90s/early 00s Wings teams I grew up watching.

It explains why we haven't won yet eh?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
That's why I hope we don't try going for the wins/points record after clinching the President's trophy. The cup is the goal, not the regular season records.

I'd rather win as many games as humanly possible, really. So I want 27 wins. It's fun to watch this team win. ...That's not to say I wouldn't settle for the "right" 16.

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
For the President's Trophy...
girardi2018cropped.jpg

For clinching the Conference...
vincent_lecavalierCropped.jpg

I assume that's a reference to the President's Trophy curse?

It's always bugged me that people think that's a thing, so I finally ran the numbers* for it. They have awarded the President's Trophy 32 times (first one was for the 1986-1987 season). In that timespan, the PT winner has won the Cup 8 times -- far and away the highest number vs any other playoff slot.

Want to know how many times the _other_ Conference winner (the team that won its Conference, but finished behind the PT winner in points) has won the Cup? Once. That's right, exactly one time in 32 seasons, the team that is theoretically the 2nd best team in the league has gone on to win the Cup. There's the curse.

The next most successful slot, after President's Trophy winner, has been the second-best division winner out of the conference that didn't win the President's Trophy. The team in that slot has won 5 of the last 32 cups. Currently, the Jets are in that slot (they're in the opposite conf of the team currently in PT position, and the division leader with second-most points in that conf).

The set of four teams comprised of the top 2 division winners from each conference have combined to win 16 of the 32 cups, while the other 12 playoff teams have combined to win the other 16 cups.

*I keyed in the data myself, so possible there are some errors. But I shouldn't be far off.

Last edited:

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
Pop quiz: Who can name that one and only team in the President's Trophy era to win their conference but not win the PT, and go on to win the Stanley Cup?

Hint: The answer may (not) surprise you.

Reactions: Hoek

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
I assume that's a reference to the President's Trophy curse?

It's always bugged me that people think that's a thing, so I finally ran the numbers* for it. They have awarded the President's Trophy 32 times (first one was for the 1986-1987 season). In that timespan, the PT winner has won the Cup 8 times -- far and away the highest number vs any other playoff slot.

Want to know how many times the _other_ Conference winner has won the Cup? Once. Exactly one time in 32 seasons, the team that is theoretically 2nd best in the league has gone on to win the Cup. There's the curse.

The next most successful slot, after President's Trophy winner, has been the second-best division winner out of the conference that didn't win the President's Trophy. The team in that slot has won 5 of the last 32 cups. Currently, the Jets are in that slot (they're in the opposite conf of the team currently in PT position, and the division leader with second-most points in that conf).

The set of four teams comprised of the top 2 division winners from each conference have combined to win 16 of the 32 cups, while the other 12 playoff teams have combined to win the other 16 cups.

*I keyed in the data myself, so possible there are some errors. But I shouldn't be far off.

Actually it was just one of the few decent pics of Girardi I could find of him where, as a Bolt, his # was nicely visible. Then I realized his expression would be a fun match with the Prez trophy stuff. :laugh:

But yeah, the "curse" is not supported by the data at all.

Reactions: BoltzManConstant

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->