NBA Magic Johnson resigns as Lakers president

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Didn't know you are good friends with him... thanks :rolleyes: :facepalm:

Pelinka is fine as GM. West just needs to be an "adviser" i.e someone who can move mountains for the GM and get things going.

Is he? I think this would be the perfect time to clean house and get this right.

Reactions: b1e9a8r5s

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
You just knew Pat Riley's name would eventually come up and apparently SVG didn't waste any time getting the talk started.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
TBH I had him retiring or at least resigning rom Miami now that Wades gone. He had a good 20+ year run but its time to let someone else lead them into a new era IMO.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
By all indication he was just a "yes man" for Magic. I dont think it'd hurt letting him continue on.

There's some stuff floating around about him that doesn't sound too great. Nothing crazy but just him being very inexperienced in this role, not a great communicator, and maybe even undermining Magic at times. There's also what Stephen A. keeps saying about him not being liked around the league, which could be BS because Stephen A. says a lot of things. Who knows.

This morning Woj did say his future might be even dicier than Walton's right now. If they can get a top level executive then that person would bring in his own guy.

TBH I had him retiring or at least resigning rom Miami now that Wades gone. He had a good 20+ year run but its time to let someone else lead them into a new era IMO.

The speculation has been he would've retired by now if LeBron had re-signed in 2014 but now he doesn't want to leave the organization when it might be at its lowest. If true, that's a nice thought and I appreciate it but some of his decisions are the reasons why they're in this spot. They badly need to rebuild but Riley doesn't believe in that. It's hard for me to really say anything too negative about Riley though and I guess he has earned the right to leave when he pleases.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
doesn't riley have an ownership stake with the heat? he's not going anywhere

its the lakers. jeanie needs to go after the big names. and please, no former lakers unless its jerry west. rc buford, sam presti, bob meyers. those are the guys who need to be called

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
There's some stuff floating around about him that doesn't sound too great. Nothing crazy but just him being very inexperienced in this role, not a great communicator, and maybe even undermining Magic at times. There's also what Stephen A. keeps saying about him not being liked around the league, which could be BS because Stephen A. says a lot of things. Who knows.

This morning Woj did say his future might be even dicier than Walton's right now. If they can get a top level executive then that person would bring in his own guy.

The speculation has been he would've retired by now if LeBron had re-signed in 2014 but now he doesn't want to leave the organization when it might be at its lowest. If true, that's a nice thought and I appreciate it but some of his decisions are the reasons why they're in this spot. They badly need to rebuild but Riley doesn't believe in that. It's hard for me to really say anything too negative about Riley though and I guess he has earned the right to leave when he pleases.

Pelinka was an agent before Buss named him GM, so yea he doesn't have the front office experience some other accomplished GMs have. However, liked I stated below Meyers was in the same boat at one point -- this agent types need time to adjust to playing on the other team and being concerned about the well being of the team and not just their clients. The issue was he and Magic didn't know each other beforehand so its hard to start from ground zero.

Yea the problem with Riley is he doesn't really believe in rebuilding, he's always relied on the "I have a ton of rings and know how to win" spiel to land guys and to be honest it just doesn't work anymore. Of course Miami is a great place to live so the team will always have that but Riley lost his touch IMO. Anyhow like you said hes earned the right to quit when he wants.

its the lakers. jeanie needs to go after the big names. and please, no former lakers unless its jerry west. rc buford, sam presti, bob meyers. those are the guys who need to be called

Agree with you but I think there is 0 chance any of those 3 leave. They gotta find the next Meyers (he is a former agent like Pelinka FWIW) or Budford.

I think David Griffin would be a good choice. He's highly respected around the league and LeBron loved playing for him. He's a guy you couldn't go wrong with hiring IMO.

Reactions: Avs_19

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC

That was Riley's condition of joining the Heat in the summer of 1995.
He wanted ownership stake in the team, that's why he left New York.

Don't blame him though, the Knicks have been NBA purgatory while the Heat have won 3 NBA titles under his guidance.

Reactions: Voight and Avs_19

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Myers leaving the Warriors for the Lakers current mess would be surprising but the Lakers should be aiming high like this.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Well from Myers POV he's already won 3 and now possibly 4 championships. KD is probably gone this summer, Klay could leave. Now's as good a time as any to leave. Fan/ownership cant be mad, he's brought them an all-time great run of success and made them one of the most dominant franchises we've ever seen. Ownership is a lot richer thanks to him.

I can see him wanting a new challenge, especially if they win their 4th in 5 years come June. What else is left? Yea you could very well win some more rings but at this point something new would be cool too.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
That was Riley's condition of joining the Heat in the summer of 1995.
He wanted ownership stake in the team, that's why he left New York.

Don't blame him though, the Knicks have been NBA purgatory while the Heat have won 3 NBA titles under his guidance.

Arison is a smart guy who lets people do their jobs. He knew what he was getting when he hired Riley. That is what good owners do.

Dolan cant help himself and has to be involved in every little aspect of the Knicks. That is why they suck.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Start the video at the 1:30 mark

I don't care how many championships and MVPs he won, this guy has no business running an NBA team. He looks and sounds like a bloody moron!

Last edited:

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Arison is a smart guy who lets people do their jobs. He knew what he was getting when he hired Riley. That is what good owners do.

Dolan cant help himself and has to be involved in every little aspect of the Knicks. That is why they suck.

Just think, if it wasnt for Dolan interfering Kyle Lowry would have been a Knick in 2013-14.

Reactions: Voight

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

They're really going to let Pelinka lead this search and hire a coach before bringing in a president or is Jeanie just handing things over to Pelinka and planning on him running the show? Is LeBron the president? Either way, not good.

Last edited:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
David Griffin would have been a great choice but they obviously weren't in the market for a guy like him until 2 days ago.

I expect Mark Jackson to be a candidate as well. LeBron has always wanted a former player as a coach and pushed for Jackson when the Cavs promoted Lue. Jackson could be a good asset to their young guys too, look no further than the Splash Bros development.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
David Griffin would have been a great choice but they obviously weren't in the market for a guy like him until 2 days ago.

I expect Mark Jackson to be a candidate as well. LeBron has always wanted a former player as a coach and pushed for Jackson when the Cavs promoted Lue. Jackson could be a good asset to their young guys too, look no further than the Splash Bros development.

jackson would be terrible hire, unless he's somehow learned a ton from his past mistakes.

splash brothers took off after jackson got canned. they were probably too talented to be ruined anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad